PDA

View Full Version : How Old

mikedurward
12th Apr 2005, 13:12
Hiya All,

Does anyone know if there is an uper age limit to starting a flying career and if so what is it.

Cheers

Mike

Grass strip basher
12th Apr 2005, 13:41
Hi Mike

This topic has been discussed at length over the years on Pprune. In short there is no limit (aside from the retirement age put in place by the CAA or your employer) however in general it would appear the older you are the tougher it can be to get a job with an airline (past the age of 35 it would seem increasingly difficult based on what I have read).

I would suggest you do a search on the "Professional Pilot training" forum... threads posted there should give you a good sense of the issues.

Hope that helps + welcome to Pprune

GSB:ok:

mikedurward
12th Apr 2005, 13:43
Cheers grass :ok: :ok:

Megaton
12th Apr 2005, 13:52
There are quite a few older ppruners here myself included. I was employed at the tender age of 37 and 8 twelths!

mikedurward
12th Apr 2005, 13:53
I was just wondering if 43 was TOOOOOOOOO OLD to start trying.....:\

Megaton
12th Apr 2005, 13:57
Nobody will be able to tell you for definite because it's different for everyone. However, if you start now you will be 46-47 before you're even remotely employable in which case the airlines may be reluctant to employ you. It's not just the financial return of service that airlines require but also the training risks associated with older pilots. Old dogs and new tricks unfortunately.