PDA

View Full Version : PPL(FI) query/update

Fokkerwokker
12th Apr 2005, 13:06
Could anyone please point me to any link that might update me on any relevant news for experienced PPLs being once again allowed to instruct?

Ta!

GusHoneybun
12th Apr 2005, 16:32
FW,

You can instruct on a PPL, however, you cannot be paid for the work unless you hold a valid CPL.

The FI course requires 30 hours flying and 125 hours Ground. The pre course requirements are 200 hours experience of which 150 must be PIC.

The old days of instructing for money on an old CAA PPL are long gone. Welcome to Jarland.

OpenCirrus619
12th Apr 2005, 17:09
I also wanted to get an FI rating on my PPL - but when I started looking into it I almost gave up the idea there and then.

The pre-requisite that really makes it a pain to get an FI rating on a PPL is:
......as per JAR-FCL 1.335: -
......b) Meet the knowledge requirements for the grant of a JAR-FCL CPL(A) as per AMC FCL 1.470(b)
which basically means you have to sit the CPL exams (all 9 of them). :(

OK you (actually I) say: "Where can I buy the books?". The response: "Won't do you any good - you have to do an approved course to sit the exams". There then follows the best part of a year distance learning. :mad:

Once you've done that you (really me again) figure you might as well get the Class 1 Medical and do the CPL flying bit as well. :ok:

IRRenewal
12th Apr 2005, 19:22
Don't know exactly what this means (not that easy to read), but this may be relevant.

From AIC 3/2004 (White 92)

In order to permit holders of NPPL's who wish to instruct on microlight aeroplanes and/or SLMGs, upon application to the CAA and, providing evidence of having undergone the required training and experience is produced, the holder of a NPPL may be granted an Exemption from the requirements of the Order to permit the licence holder to provide instruction in microlight and/or SLMGs only. These Exemptions will be issued for a limited period to permit more permanent administrative procedures to be formulated by the CAA, which will be incorporated into a future amendment to the ANO following the necessary consultative process.

Fokkerwokker
12th Apr 2005, 20:59
All useful stuff ta - very much appreciated.

I have the tickets but am researching on behalf of a chum who has the 'hands and head' for it but not the CPL ticket/exam subjects etc.

I asked the question because recent bar talk suggested that the CAA were going to take another look at it and return us to 'the way we were' via the NPPL scheme to include instructors?

BEagle
13th Apr 2005, 06:40
Slowly, slowly......

There are a number of ANO changees concerning the NPPL which are long overdue. One will establish a precedent which may possibly then be used to move on the issue of NPPL and PPL-level instruction for SSEA Class Ratings and possibly SEP Class Ratings.

Don't hold your breath though. my feeling is that they'll just stonewall and prevaricate until EASA is up and running rather than do anything which requires significant effort.

Obs cop
16th Apr 2005, 11:32
Regarding the phrase "Meet the knowledge requirements of a CPL", can anyone advise me if there is any time limit between passing the CPL exams and starting the FI(R) course?

I know there is a limit of 36 months from exams to CPL, but I can't find a time limit for PPL FI(R)'s.

Thanks

Obs cop

Deneb
27th Apr 2005, 15:50
Beag's,

Having been watching this one with great interest over the last few years - and being ex mil with a busy second career - is there any person, or organisation, it would be worth lobbying to help this along?

I deduce you have a good knowledge of the decision making structure, and can judge what would be futile from constructive.

I would be very happy to co-ordinate a lobby to help highlight enthusiasm for the ppl FI. Is it something worth doing, or is our chance of influence too slim.

Thanks

J

Whopity
29th Apr 2005, 12:45
"Regarding the phrase "Meet the knowledge requirements of a CPL", can anyone advise me if there is any time limit between passing the CPL exams and starting the FI(R) course?"

No, there is no time limit.

"Don't know exactly what this means (not that easy to read), but this may be relevant.

From AIC 3/2004 (White 92)"

It means that someone forgot about microlight instructors when they dragged microlights into the NPPL! The ANO prohibits NPPL holders from holding an instructor rating, so microlight instructors with an NPPL operate on an exemption having met all the AFIC(M) requirements.

RVR800
29th Apr 2005, 15:42
If the PPL/FI route was re-introduced then nobody would sit the CPL exams. What would be the point?

More people would afford to become FIs and it would be cheaper for those wealthy individuals with their own schools (and who own their own aeroplanes) to hire in FIs to teach. They could make more money that way.

The old PPL/FI route didn't require much independent assessment of theoretical competence in areas like navigation. The FI flight test does NOT examine that in any great detail as the flights are all local to the airport. The ground exam sorry chat with the examiner looks at it briefly but in nothing like the level of detail that the CPL requires.

EASA will look at risk as they re-appraise all this. The question is when flying single crew, outside controlled airspace with no air traffic when doing a trial flight for instance are risks higher or lower than in a multi-crew environment inside controlled airspace?

:oh:

Obs cop
29th Apr 2005, 17:49
Whoppity,

Thanks for the response, I only asked as depending on medical etc. I may or may not be class 1. I wish to become an instructor and am doing my CPL's at the moment, but without a class 1, I clearly cannot do the CPL course.

This would leave me looking at the PPL/FI route on a class 2 albeit not as an earner unless I then move across to microlights.

Many thanks,

Obs cop