PDA

View Full Version : Britain to relax rules on airline security

ThinkRate
12th Apr 2005, 10:49
Britain to relax rules on airline security.
Sky

Airline passengers will once again be dining with metal cutlery, knitting jumpers and manicuring their nails aboard flights from British airports following a relaxation of anti-terrorist rules.
Ministers have changed security guidelines because they believe some sharp household objects no longer pose a threat should they fall into the hands of a would-be hijacker.

Bladed and pointed items were banned from cabins after the September 11 attacks in which hijackers caused thousands of deaths with the help of sharpened box-cutters they had smuggled onto flights.

But transport chiefs now claim that security improvements such as sealed cockpits, closed circuit television and sky marshals have removed the need for prohibition.

"Airline security is an ongoing issue which is under constant review," said a spokesman for the Department of Transport.

"We are now of the view that there are enough security measures in place to allow passengers to bring these items back on to planes.

"Air marshals have been deployed. Cockpit doors are now locked. Access to the cockpit is now impossible for a passenger, and we can now relax the rules on certain items."

From April 25, passengers will be permitted to carry knitting needles and scissors with blades shorter than 3cm in their hand luggage.

British Airways managers said ministers had taken a "sensible" course by allowing their passengers to once again eat with steel knives and forks

link (http://www.airdisaster.com/news/0405/08/news.shtml)

Mark Lewis
12th Apr 2005, 11:19
Has this come in with immediate effect, or will it take time for things to change?

nosewheelfirst
12th Apr 2005, 12:29
According to the first post after the 25th April passengers will be allowed to carry these items. I wonder if passengers will want their confiscated items back, there is a large clear bin at internatioanl security full of such items at gla.

Pointer
12th Apr 2005, 13:12
but i guess the plastic swords that are in there will have to stay since they could still pose a threat??????

Pointer :E

PilotsPal
12th Apr 2005, 15:25
nwf

There's a similar bin in the domestic security area, with a very nice pair of fine embroidery scissors in one corner that I've had my eye on for a couple of months now.

boeing_bananas
13th Apr 2005, 10:51
At last a step in the right direction.

Now all we need is for pilots' family members to be allowed jumpseat access and we'll really be getting there.

Happy flying.

BB.