PDA

View Full Version : "Disenfranchised"

High Wing Drifter
12th Apr 2005, 09:23
I heard it again on the Today programme this morning in relation to voter turnout.

It seems to me that this a word to excuse the lazy and apathetic.

Kolibear
12th Apr 2005, 09:58
I would have thought 'disillusioned' might be a better word.

Tolsti
12th Apr 2005, 10:11
adj : deprived of the rights of citizenship especially the right to vote [syn: disfranchised, voteless] [ant: enfranchised]

Source: WordNet 2.0, 2003 Princeton University

Can't really say that they are deprived of the right to vote surely? Sounds like Yankspeak to me

MikeKnight
12th Apr 2005, 10:26
I would have thought a real disenfranchised voter would be one who voted under MMP or 'proportional representation' for a major party, only to find the good of the nation subverted by a minor party.

An excerpt from todays New Zealand Herald:

"The Green Party has joined Labour in opposing international flights from Rotorua Airport.

Green Party co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons met Rotorua Mayor Kevin Winters yesterday to confirm the party's opposition to the airport's extension and plans to handle transtasman flights.

Labour has already indicated it will oppose the move and the airport will be one of the matters Prime Minister Helen Clark will discuss with Mr Winters when the two meet this evening. "

The reason our labour party has already opposed the move is because they would have been under pressure from the green party. The Greens are a minority party who hold part of the 'balance of power' under our MMP (proportional representation) system.

One of the biggest export earners for New Zealand is Tourisim. Allowing International flights to Rotorua will increase our foreign exchange from tourisim.

The Green Party of New Zealand have effectivly cut off that income earner. They would cut off plenty more if they had the seats.

Go FPP!

PS: I love seeing green party stickers on 2-stroke mopeds, I laugh all day.

Jerricho
12th Apr 2005, 17:36
Is that what happens when a McDonalds or a Burger King is closed down?

Loki
12th Apr 2005, 17:54
Jerricho:

I`d call that an answer to my prayers!

Jerricho
12th Apr 2005, 17:55
"Hasta la vista.........burger"

High Wing Drifter
12th Apr 2005, 19:12
Kolibear,

I suspect the disillusionment felt by some is because there is nothing to vote for. Essentially we have lowish tax, lowish crime, what they call "critically low unemployment" (theoretically can't get any lower), low inflation, etc, etc. People don't think as far ahead as pensions and the biggest decision seems to be pay as you go vs contract.

Astrodome
12th Apr 2005, 19:14
Essentially we have lowish tax, lowish crime My dear chap you really must be jesting?

Whirlygig
12th Apr 2005, 19:17
Compared with many countries, HWD is right!

Cheers

Whirlygig