PDA

View Full Version : Qne / Qnh

redblue
12th Apr 2005, 05:53
Hello,

Anyone know of a good site that describes the various altimeter related Q codes?

benedictus
12th Apr 2005, 06:13
try this one:

http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

redblue
12th Apr 2005, 06:34
Um... is there a site that just discuss the altimeter related side of the Q codes?

keithl
12th Apr 2005, 10:08
Redblue - there's only about four altimeter related Q codes that I can think of, so maybe it'd be more helpful if you explained exactly what you were interested in. For example, altimetry or Q-codes?

Valve Kilmer
12th Apr 2005, 10:37
QFE: Atmospheric pressure at aerodrome elevation. With its sub-scale set to the aerodrome QFE an altimeter will indicate height above that airfield.

QNE: Reading in feet on an altimeter set to 1013.2 hPa (standard pressure) when the aircraft is at aerodrome elevation.

QNH: Altitude above mean sea level based on local station pressure.

Rgrds VK

Captain Stable
12th Apr 2005, 15:30
QNN - height above an inland waterway (suitable for landing a seaplane or amphibian) e.g. a lake, reservoir or canal.

B Fraser
12th Apr 2005, 17:14
And not forgetting QVC which was recently dropped into a discussion on pressure settings by my girlie to see if I spotted it ... crafty little minx :hmm:

I remember QNH as sea level by thinking of Nautical Height and QFE at the airfield as Field Elevation. QNE is the NErdy one that uses the ISO standard atmosphere. It works for me :ok:

redblue
14th Apr 2005, 01:47
Hello B Fraser,

I like the QNE = Nerdy for 29.92 on the subscale remark. Now I have a method of remembering it. Just to confirm, QFE = QNH when aerodrome is at sea level, right?

What about this reduction from aerodrome station pressure level to the guestimated "would be" station pressure level at sea level? Is this QFF? I can't remember. I remember though about reading using the average temperature for a given past number of hours? Problem is, all the books and online resources talk about the way to do it but don't give an exact numeric example showing how to do it. So if anyone wants to demonstrate their wits please feel very free to do so.

QSK?
14th Apr 2005, 06:11
QAH
QFF

and while you're at it look up my moniker QSK to get an understanding of why I chose this handle.

redblue
14th Apr 2005, 08:41
Hello QSK,

Can you show us how to derive QFF?

QSK?
15th Apr 2005, 00:11
Hi redblue:

QFF was the subject of a PPrune thread back in Feb of this year. Rather than me regurgitating the discussion again, have a look at: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=161791&goto=nextnewest

Hope this helps.

Cheers QSK?:ok: