PDA

View Full Version : Bridging Course

lynx pilot
11th Apr 2005, 19:03
Am about to start Mil bridging course with Bristol. Any advice on the way ahead from those of you who have done it, particularly bothered about air law as it will be all new.

jayteeto
11th Apr 2005, 20:12
All new????? I hope not, you should be alright. It is things you should know as a pilot!!

Paul McKeksdown
12th Apr 2005, 09:52
Mil bridging is okay, a hell of a lot better than the 'full' route.

The first part is done in house with bristol, this covers all sins including comms, nav, INS and polar nav, navigation aids, op procedures, air law, safety equip etc... This exam is then taken at your local education centre.

Once complete you need to sit air law and op procedures with the CAA at one of their venues. On completion you will be credited with your ATPL(H) theory. If you wish to have a licence issued on this theory you will need a civilian typed aircraft, skills check and minimum of 5 hours for the CPL, the Lynx is not rated! If you wish an ATPL(H) then you will need to complete IR training to have a multi crew/IR rating. I.e. Sikorsky S61N/S76 etc...

This can now be taken further with Bristol, who are the only training provider to off the ATPL(H) to ATPL(A) bridging. This consists of three papers with the CAA:

Principles of flight (A)
Performance (A) - was a **** of an exam!!!!
Composite bridging exam

P of F (A) was fairly easy, Performance was very hard (check Bristols web site), the composite exam was generally Ok but I think it will be reworked for the next time that it is dusted off.

If you want more detailed info, on flying hours requirements and CPL/IR then PM me.

Cheers

edited due to having a small keyboard and fat fingers! Also just noted that aunty pprune automatically covers up naughty words! How nice!

woof
12th Apr 2005, 11:13
Haven't done the bridging course, but have recently completed Mod 2 at Bristol. Regards Ops and Air Law. Their bark is far worse than their bite. Trust the feeback, it is excellent.

[QUOTE]All new????? I hope not, you should be alright. It is things you should know as a pilot!!

Ah yes, I remember learning about the Tokyo agreement, and the number of fire extinguishers required in the passenger cabin whilst at DHFS:\

Paul McKeksdown
12th Apr 2005, 12:27
Don't forget the fire axe! and was that a Halon, BCF or dry powder extingusher that falls on yer head causing contravention of which convention bloggs????

Remember it well!(though it wasn't DHFS at that time, no such jointery tomfollery in my day!)

If you've got the hours do the bridging course! Total of 5 campaign exams verses 14 and I didn't have to plot a single damn fix on a map thank f&*k (neatly edited auntie!)

Helo to plank is easy (apart from the performance :-)) and then you need to talk to the trusty souls at Exeter for the CPL/IR. Trust me! It's a well trodden route with the addition of the CAA actually making things easier!

Wait, whats that! A formation of pigs swooping past the window! Wow.

jayteeto
12th Apr 2005, 13:20
I apologise for the flippancy of my comments. I went the 'FULL' route to ATPL A+H on the CAA sylabus. There were a few questions about international law, but the majority was on airfield/taxiway lights, signals and rules that pilots should know. I should have known that the JAR exam would have been all international law and tokyo agreements etc etc. The old system had its faults with nine? exams over 2 days. Don't you know how many cabin crew you should have on board then???

Basher577
12th Apr 2005, 15:00
My advise.

Read the air law book once and do the questions in the progress tests, throw the book in the bin and hit the question banks.

And good luck

lynx pilot
12th Apr 2005, 18:41
Thanks for the feedback, as far as air law goes, hoe long a prep time from picking up book to doing exam (assuming I am joe average..........big assumption I know a s a Lx pilot!)

Paul McKeksdown
12th Apr 2005, 18:59
Basher557 has it right,

Scan the book, throw it in the bin and hack the online question bank at www.bristol.gs

It'll cost you 30 of europes best euros for three months access and believe me it will be the best 30 euros ever spent.

Watch the CAA cronies though, they sometimes tinker with the question parameters so be wary.

You can hack air law and op procedures in two weeks if you work it hard.

As an ex lynx puke, if I can hack it anyone can!!!!

Note to self: Must remember not to bring large fixed wing aircraft to the hover!

Good Luck