PDA

View Full Version : First Time Pass rates

woof
11th Apr 2005, 14:45
In the ever increasingly competitive market, the term First Time Pass rate appears more and more important.

If the CAA push out a particularly harsh exam, such as the Perf (Feb/Apr) causing more and more to fail, who ordinarily would have passed in any other month. Do the poor unfortunate souls have a chance to redress ????

Any thoughts

Woof

Alex Whittingham
11th Apr 2005, 18:12
May I strongly advise against looking at pass rates, they are really likely to mislead you. Did you know, for instance, that the pass rate for resits is lower than the first time pass rate so, although quoting the first time pass rate appears to be quoting the lower rate, it's actually quoting the higher? Also, have you noticed that every school claims to be getting better than average pass rates? Who is dragging the averages down, then?

woof
12th Apr 2005, 08:35
Thank you for your reply.

I don't think I put my point across very well. I'm not itnerested in national averages or school averages.

prospective employers may interpret a second /third time pass on one particular subject as a negative against an individual.

All I am saying is that if the individual sat one of the really nasty exams, such as Feb/Apr Perf exams, ordinarily had the exams been consistent, they would have been fine. However, as the exam was disproportionately harder than normal, they will have this small blip on what would otherwise be an exemplary pass rate and that may count against them when it comes to getting a job. All because the CAA failed to be consistent.

Is this off the mark?

Woof

Send Clowns
12th Apr 2005, 11:12
Those exams are under investigation. However very few companies care about when you passed your exams - remember most people who interview are pilots. What do pilots think of groundschool? Of all our students one of those that struggled most (not entirely his fault - he was hit by the collapse of the company he sat with first) now flies 737s for a large company and is very happy with his job.

woof
12th Apr 2005, 11:18
Thank you for the clarifcation:ok:

Craggenmore
12th Apr 2005, 12:27
Woof,

By all means be the best that you can be, but people with all sorts of differing training records secure jobs. See the bigger picture......If you have the license then you can apply for jobs. No interviewer has ever asked me about my groundschool.

It seems more and more these days that recruiters are looking for pilots who can...

1. get on with their fellow crew &
2. will fit in with the company culture and type.

Recruiters tend to recruit in their own shadow.

The unfortunate part of the whole job process is not fitting in on interview day, no matter what your record says, because you won't get the hire.

Good luck.

Craggs

Alex Whittingham
12th Apr 2005, 14:38
Ah, sorry woof, I misunderstood. Generally employers don't ask about your groundschool results and they only occasionally ask about your flight tests. I think most interviewers are aware how hard the tests are and how easy it is to get caught out. I don't think they would write you down for failing the odd exam.

spaceman1000
12th Apr 2005, 15:09
what is hard in these exams?read all questions and answer, just check the right answer, do not think to much, and go for the best answer within 10-15 seconds.

Most guys who failed their exams cuz they have erased the correct answer or they have simply cheated on a guy who resit his exams.Most questions are asking for a straight answer and everybody must be able to score at least a 75%.

I have found only 3-5 questions per subjects are between 2 correct answers.So I went on my first intuition (women are good for that).

the other thing I have noticed, it is the stress level at these exams. Students must absolutely find a way to destress. Little stress is good, but I still see guys who overstress and fail.

good luck if you're still on these 14 exams!

GusHoneybun
12th Apr 2005, 16:05
The problem with the perf and pof exams is that with most questions there a two answer that are correct, however, one being more correct than the other. Once you learn to accept that these exams are really more a comprehension exercise then you'll be halfway there.
With perf, read the CAP698 from cover to cover and understand the info contained. Over half the questions in my exam could be answered by reference to the CAP698 and I don't mean the piddly graph questions.

As stated before, it doesn't make a mouse fart's difference if you pass them all first time or not. Most employers don't care if you passed your IR first time. All they want to know is could I stand being locked in a broom cupboard with only this chap for company for up to 12 hours a day.

Good luck with your training.

woof
13th Apr 2005, 11:39
Spaceman1000

At 1509 hrs you should not be drinking!

Not entirely sure you understand the point of the thread.:}

spaceman1000
13th Apr 2005, 14:43
ah ah, you are right man...if the CAA wants give us a hard time on these exams, the best way to pass 1 st attempt , is to drink more!!!just an idea.