PDA

View Full Version : The Management

BALIX
11th Apr 2005, 14:06
Has ANYBODY out there in Pruneland got a decent word to say about their mangers? Of course, some of you might not have managers whilst others might even be managers so you are disqualified from having an opinion. But the most of us will have several layers of management above us.

Gazing through the various fora of pprune we can witness the management of First Choice, My Travel, Ryanair, BA and others getting a slagging from their employees. On the ATC forum the management of numerous ATC services are currently being brought to task for not recruiting enough ATCOs (apart from Finland whose management are being brought to task for recruiting TOO MANY...). I'm as guilty as anyone having pointed out some bizarre (and in some cases plainly stupid) management decisions that affect me from time to time.

Does anyone have a nice word to say about their managers? :confused: :confused: :confused:

phoenix son
11th Apr 2005, 14:35
OK, I'll start,

My direct Line Manager is excellent, just lets me get on with it and is there if I need his help...as he said, that's why he gave me the job, so he doesn't have to keep checking up on me...

The level above that (Director) leaves the day-to-day stuff to my Line Manager, so yep, I'm pretty happy at work (AND I appreciate the fact that lots of others are not as fortunate as me...):ok:

airship
11th Apr 2005, 14:38
In the company I work for, management costs are 60% of the payroll.

On the plus side, they just about let me run meself the way I like. So the odd Monday pm that I spend on JB doesn't go amiss... :}

Parapunter
11th Apr 2005, 14:57
Ive had some inspirational managers & one Bully. The bully, I got into a locked office & threatened to punch him. In hindsight, tat asn't too bright as had he called my bluff, I would have had to back down or be sacked. However as with most bullies, he bottled it & I won the day & my professional freedom from his tyranny.:ouch:

Standard Noise
11th Apr 2005, 15:38
Most dept managers I've ever had figured out sooner or later, that if they didn't leave me alone to get on with it, I'd have them heading for the pills. (At a function one night, the wife of one manager even asked why I annoyed her husband so much.)

My present dept managers must be doing the right things, we seem to get on fairly well. Here's hoping it stays like that.

Jerricho
11th Apr 2005, 15:41
The manager of the ATC school here in Winnipeg is excellent. He's a classic example that managers in this business should be just that, and not controllers.

Southern Scottie
11th Apr 2005, 20:03
I am self employed. I find my manager really good at his job.

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Apr 2005, 20:04
I like managers...

...with fava beans and a Chianti.:E

flyblue
11th Apr 2005, 20:15
What can I say...I simply LOVE Jean-Cyril :O

BALIX
11th Apr 2005, 20:27
OK, line managers seem to be OK with one or two exceptions. But what about those two or three promotions above? The ones responsible for making the really crap decisions that we lesser mortals have to deal with every day.

Is there anyone out there who can truly say that their company/organisation is well run and that they have confidence in the people who are running it? After all, for every Rover Longbridge which has obviously been mismanaged, there must be dozens of companies that tootle along quite happily. Companies that survive without endless middle management meetings, superflous layers of management, huge expense accounts, human resource departments and all the other things that get up the noses of the people who actually do the work that that company is in existance for.

:\ :\ :\

Irish Steve
11th Apr 2005, 21:47
Does anyone have a nice word to say about their managers?

No, definitely, absolutely :mad: not!!!

I used to work for one of the larger ground handling organisations not far from my home, and some of the management that I had to suffer weren't bad, they were :mad: dangerous, to the extent that they didn't even understand why things that were happening around them were so dangerous.

I'm out of that loop now, and a lot more relaxed, but I can honestly say that in over 30 years of working in many different industries and companies, I've NEVER experienced anything as bad as they were.

A rampie was killed in tragic circumstances a few years ago, and it's only luck, and nothing at all to do with management that there hasn't been a repeat, given how badly certain aspects of that operation are run.

(Mods. I can document certain aspects of the comments I've made here, and have already done so to the relevant regulators)

uncivilservant
11th Apr 2005, 23:25
"Is there anyone out there who can truly say that their company/organisation is well run and that they have confidence in the people who are running it?"
-------------------------------------------------------------

We've got Buffy and Teflon Tony - beat that for worst top management s**** in the galaxy!

In the real world bit of the organisation, I've got a great boss and cracking staff. It's hit and miss though - in my last post I had crap staff and the sort of boss who provokes revolutions in less "civilised" countries.

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2005, 00:42
Our Boss is absolutely brilliant - the most wonderful, sensitive and wise person I have ever met. To give you some idea, he even uses strawberry flavour boot polish! :ok:

BombayDuck
12th Apr 2005, 03:57
excellent top mgmt here, middle management is a it iffy :hmm:

my immediate senior however is rather good, and he figured out how to deal with me after a bit... his criticism is actually constructive and doesnt come across as nitpicking or "trying to show who's the boss here"....

acbus1
12th Apr 2005, 06:04
Problem in the airline business is that a lot of the management (certainly the majority of the ones I interact with) are pilots.

Cockpit management, as a skill, does'nt stretch too far in a "real"management situation.

99.9% of pilots are rubbish managers, not surprisingly.

......oh! and selection for "promotion" to management is based upon ar$e licking skill and very little else. :mad:

phoenix son
12th Apr 2005, 12:58
Is it worth pointing out at this point that the 2 words "Pilot" and "Managers" do not fit together quite as well as the recipients of the title would like to think they do?

Pilots, go out there, fly your jets (or props if you're that way inclined), that's what you're good at...

Managers, get on with running the department/company/universe, that's what YOU dob...

Just don't combine the two disciplines...:E

(Tin helmet is ON, awaiting the first salvo...:ok: )

Curious Pax
12th Apr 2005, 13:28
Applies across the board Mr Son - I read somewhere a while back that the failure rate for new start IT companies was one of the highest, precisely due to the fact that being an IT whizzkid didn't make you a management whizzkid.

It's always baffled me that it is assumed that if you are excellent technically (or as a pilot, or whatever) then you are a good manager. Why should it follow? I wonder how many brilliant managers never even get the chance to try their hand as a manager because they don't pick a career that they are any good at on the technical rungs that are the pre-req to managing.

MadsDad
12th Apr 2005, 13:58
Curious Pax.

It used to be, and still should be, a truism in the IT industry that 'a good techie makes a sh*te manager'.

I should know. I'm a bloody good techie. I'll leave the rest unsaid even if it is true.

PM

Curious Pax
12th Apr 2005, 14:40
MD,
In the large company I work in (not an IT company but with a large global IT department of which I am part) the truism certainly still holds. Mind you in the business it also holds, relating to non-IT people.

newarksmells
12th Apr 2005, 21:16
I used to be and still am a pretty good techie. The hardest part about becoming a manager (which I am now) is keeping your fingers out of the pie....it took me about 2 years until they were clean ;-))

And that's not fair to the people working for you. How would you feel if you knew your manager was going to be checking every little keystroke? That's a rotten environment to work in. As I said, it takes a while to get out of the "techie" mentality but until you do, you aren't managing at all. You're simply a frustrated "techie'. At least that's what I came to realize.

I don't mind helping if asked, but I hired these people who I work with to do a job that I used to do. They have all the necessary qualifications to perform the work, even though it is usually done in a completely different way than I did it. Does that make one way superior to the other? I don't think so.

The one trick I have found is giving people enough rope to do the job at their speed but not enough rope to hang themselves. If they get to that point, I've failed and not them because I asked them to do something they weren't capable of doing and every manager should know what their staff is capable of.

Newarksmells