PDA

View Full Version : Pollution

ORAC
11th Apr 2005, 08:08
Save the world, use head and shoulders. Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=627927)

"The research is published in the April issue of Science magazine". :rolleyes:

airship
11th Apr 2005, 13:44
I for one, am extremely gratified to see that Dr Ruprecht Jaenicke of Mainz University (who has been leading the study for the past 15 years), has remained faithful to his country and the EU all these past years. This scientist could so easily have been part of the general brain-drain to the USA. May we be grateful for small mercies, Amen. :rolleyes:

tony draper
11th Apr 2005, 13:46
Don't look t me one lost the ability to generate dandruff a while back.
:(

BlueDiamond
11th Apr 2005, 14:00
Now there's a thought ... if dandruff is supposed to be a condition of the scalp, why is it that one never sees a bald person suffering from it? They may not have hair but they still have skin after all.

:confused:

Wino
11th Apr 2005, 15:09
Hmmmm,
I noticed it wasn't only humans that were the culprit but all animals.

So once we kill off all life we will finally SAVE the planet itself, and isn't that what it about really? Saving the planet?

Cheers
Wino

airship
11th Apr 2005, 15:31
I use one of those Polti Vaparetto LecoAspira vacuum thinggies...the one which uses water instead of a paper bag. The contents (including lots of cat hairs) are dumped in the toilet. Presumably I am being more ecological than someone who just uses an ordinary vacuum? Or am I just contributing to rising sea-levels...?! :}

Conan the Librarian
11th Apr 2005, 15:49
Just a worthless addition to the thread, but apparently, 25% of the dust in a house is comprised of dead skin particles and flakes. Do pass the finger bowl.... :-)

Anyone itching yet?

flapsforty
11th Apr 2005, 15:55
.... those yummie dead skin flakes feed large armies of thesehttp://www.extra-apotheek.nl/Media/view/1483/1483.jpg. Millions of 'em crawling around in your bed among other places. :ok:

ORAC
11th Apr 2005, 16:43
Guardian:

The saying "don't let the bed bugs bite" has taken on new significance for Australia's burgeoning backpacker industry, which is facing an epidemic of the bloodsucking insects.

The bugs, which can survive for months without feeding and are renowned as hitchhikers, travelling the world hidden in luggage, shoes and clothing, could cost the country's tourism industry tens of millions of pounds after they were found to have infested eight out of 10 backpacker hostels in Sydney's eastern suburbs alone. Many bedsits, particularly at Bondi Beach and Kings Cross, rely almost exclusively on British and Irish customers.

Despite bringing in pest controllers to eradicate the bugs, more than half the hostels have reported a fresh outbreak during the recent summer months. So widespread is the problem that the Whitsunday shire council and the north Queensland charter boat industry are developing a strategy to combat the pests at popular resorts.

Stephen Doggett, an entomologist at the institute of clinical pathology and medical research at Westmead hospital in Sydney, estimates that the number of bed-bug infestations treated in Sydney has increased by 800 % in the past four years.

Mr Doggett says international travellers have been unwittingly carrying them into Australia for the past two decades and they are now proving impervious to pest control measures.

While hostel beds remain the most common place for infestations, residential homes are now also under attack. Mr Doggett said he recently found 5,000 bugs in one woman's bed.

Scratchy dununda... :E

Standard Noise
11th Apr 2005, 16:47
Jeeesus Flaps , I never knew my mother-in-law ate dandruff.
BTW, that's a shot of her 'good side'.:E

Vortex what...ouch!
12th Apr 2005, 06:38
ORAC shouldn't that be "Scratch me happy"? Aussies will get it....:E :ok:

Jerricho
12th Apr 2005, 06:46
I never knew my mother-in-law ate dandruff

I am Jerricho, and I endorse this joke.

:E :} ;)

Blacksheep
13th Apr 2005, 06:31
I thought your MIL had "tiny claws, and needlelike mouthparts" like this Jerricho? :}

http://www.geocities.com/thesciencefiles/eyelash/pic3.JPG

Things in your eyelashes (http://www.geocities.com/thesciencefiles/eyelash/creatures.html)

Loose rivets
13th Apr 2005, 07:39
Did I read once that the surface of the mite has a similar pattern to fingerprints?:ooh: