PDA

View Full Version : PPL revalidation

booke23
10th Apr 2005, 20:51
I have not flown regularly for about 4 years, I stupidly let my certificate of experience expire (despite flying about 50 hrs in the 2 years it was valid).

So I need to have a Licence proficency check with an examiner.........I have 100 hrs and an IMC rating, and have done a couple of hours flying with an instructor in the past few weeks.

They tell me I'm fine. I was surprised at how much I still knew!!!...........

As I understand it, the check flight with the examiner is like the old GFT........which I should have no problem with.......However, I believe the CAA now require some navigation be incorporated in this test.

My question is, will this navigation part be as thorough as the old NFT......

If so then I shall need to brush up.......I did my IMC rating more or less as soon as I got my ppl, after that I used radio navigation for long trips. And as I knew my local area so well, I got pretty good at dead reakoning my way around without drawing lines etc....

BEagle
10th Apr 2005, 21:16
The navigation element of the renewal LST is at the discretion of the Examiner and should reflect your recent VFR navigation experience. It shouldn't be as extensive as the NFT was.

If your IMC Rating is close to expiring, you can revalidate it during your SEP Class Rating renewal LST instead of the VFR navigation element if you wish. I specifically asked the CAA's Chief Flight Examiner to confirm this and he agreed that yes, that would be OK.

booke23
10th Apr 2005, 22:34
Interesting...........My IMC rating has lapsed, and I would like to renew it.

Didn't think even think of combining the two!! Thank you.

homeguard
11th Apr 2005, 08:01
As said, navigation is part of the Licence renewal test (LPC). The purpose of introducing navigation was in order to comply with other JAA countries. It was already introduced in the UK for multi renewals where the candidate hadn't sufficient x/country experience during the previous validity period.

The following are my examples;

Example 1

It follows that where a candidate has extensive and recent navigation experience then only a simple short but constructive check is necessary, such as; VOR Fix, Radio Failure procedures or Triangulation fix with D&D. Whatever is constructive for the individual.

Example 2

Say the candidate has lapsed for an extensive period perhaps in excess of 10 years then maybe a fully planned flight landing away may be more appropiate. Various excercises including an unplanned diversion and radio navigation could be completed during the trip.

Booke23, as you describe yourself you fall somewhere in the middle. It would seem fair to me to simply require you to fully plan a flight but only fly the items that I have listed in example 1, but it is up to your examiner