PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster Compasses

CATIIIBnoDH
10th Apr 2005, 14:51
I recently bought a superb P10 compass.
Initially I thought that it was the standard Lancaster compass. However according the Lancaster Manual a P4 compass was the standard compass. On the splendid PC CDrom "The Lancaster Explored" (flyingzonedirect.com)I found that also the P10 was installed. Can anybody shine some light on this.
What's the difference between P10 and P4 or is it just a improved version.
Thanks in advance.

Blacksheep
15th Apr 2005, 04:38
I've done compass swings on PA474 and was one of the gang who installed Tacan and its inverter power supplies back in 1967, but I've no idea about the differences between the P4 and P10 compasses. I do know a chap who may have the answer though. I'll ask him and get back to you if I get the answer.

CATIIIBnoDH
15th Apr 2005, 09:04
Thanks for trying to help me Blacksheep.
I was already afraid that this knowledge also disappeared with the entry of the laser gyro's.

Waiting for your Follow-up, Regards, CATIIIB

Blacksheep
18th Apr 2005, 03:35
OK, the P4 was indeed the standard platform compass for bombers in the early years of the war, it sat in a gimballed mount just ahead of the control column. The P10 was almost the same to look at but had a slightly different and improved magnetic arrangement. Fighters appear to have used mainly P8 and P11 compasses. Differences mainly concerned the relationships between mountings and aircraft flight attitudes.

As an aside, it seems that "P" compasses sat Platform mounted, in gimbals, with the card face up while "E" types were panel mounted instruments with the compass card 'vertical' - that is, marked on the Edge so you read them vertically.

CATIIIBnoDH
21st Apr 2005, 14:48
Thanks Blacksheep, I also got this story from somebody else. P10 is indeed a improved P4.
I also have a PII which indeed was installed in the Spitfire, Rgds CatIII

sedburgh
22nd Apr 2005, 11:42
As an aside, it seems that "P" compasses sat Platform mounted, in gimbals, with the card face up while "E" types were panel mounted instruments with the compass card 'vertical' - that is, marked on the Edge so you read them vertically.
Actually P is for Pilot and E for Emergency, there are also Type O for Observers.

LowNSlow
25th Apr 2005, 06:41
Don't forget the P12 as used in countless Austers. It was mounted as only a British engineer could mount a compass: inverted with a mirror facing the pilot so he could read it... It becomes quite normal after a while...Nurse, pills please!

Blacksheep
26th Apr 2005, 06:41
Thanks sedburgh, one must learn something every day. It exercises the brain cells - as long as one has any left, that is... :ok:

virgo
3rd May 2005, 20:24
...........then there is the apocryphal stories of wounded and exhausted heavy bomber pilots breaking the glass and drinking the alcohol to give themselves the fortification to get the crippled aeroplane down in one piece.
Can anyone authenticate the stories ?????

CATIIIBnoDH
4th May 2005, 13:56
Heard many stories about the art of surviving in a crippled airplane (e.g. wing walking on a crippled Lanc) However when drinking this fluid might drift you to a walking stick or at least praying for an AP with autoland capability......