PDA

View Full Version : Trees and pollution

Big Tudor
10th Apr 2005, 14:53
Ok folks, a bit of assistance if you would be so kind.
I received information on a planning application through the post. Part of the application is the removal of 8 fairly mature oak trees. Now these trees form a fairly effective noise and visual barrier between where I live and a nearby motorway. I'm also wondering how much air pollution such trees are preventing. I've tried Googling for an answer but I am now suffering from Green Party overload! :bored:

Any JBers got any info on the impact of trees on vehicle pollution?

X-QUORK
10th Apr 2005, 15:30
BT,

This link suggests that trees are pretty good at filtering the nasties out of the air:

http://wrc.iewatershed.com/index.php?pagename=education_forest_02_page_2

Out of interest, what is the application for? Maybe you could ask the Local Planning Authority to insist on new trees being planted as a condition for planning consent.

Big Tudor
10th Apr 2005, 15:53
Thanks X-Quork. The applciation is to build 15 new houses (on a piece of land that is really only big enough for 10, but that's a different story). The plans show that new trees will be planted, however I will be pushing up daisies long before the new ones are anywhere near the size of the brutes that are going to be destroyed.
These houses are to be built on an old playing field. It has been there for years and is used by kids and adults alike for playing football and dog walking. Not a mile away is an old secondary school building and land that was closed down 10 years ago. I can't for the life of me work out why the council are allowing them to build on green land when there is a dilapidated old eyesore of a building that would be a more suitable site to build on. :hmm:

X-QUORK
10th Apr 2005, 16:02
It would be worth asking the Council if the trees are protected by Tree Preservation Orders, quite a lot of mature trees in urban areas are. In any case it is worth writing to the Planning Authority to lodge your concerns, and if you can get some signatures from other local residents it will all be taken into account by the Planning Officer and or Committee.