PDA

View Full Version : Chinhook Bravo November

Navaleye
10th Apr 2005, 07:21
of Falklands fame. Did it ever make it back to the UK and is it still flying?

Jobza Guddun
10th Apr 2005, 08:16
Yes it did, believe it still flies with 18 Sqn as 'BN'.

Don't worry steward, I'll fetch my own coat thank you.

Training Risky
10th Apr 2005, 09:14
My (only) claim to fame is that when I was in AFT a few years ago, one of my beefers was the dude who flew BN to safety in 1982..... I subsequently flew BN myself on 18(B) Sqn, and now gaze at it longingly in my logbook.

If I remember rightly, it leaked like a sieve as all Chinooks do.

Navaleye
10th Apr 2005, 09:53
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Presumably it now has a co pilots door, replacing the one that was jetisonned when it went for an unscheduled swim.

Navaleye
10th Apr 2005, 15:36
TURNBULL, Thanks, that would be good to see if possible. I read her story last night. A true war horse indeed. Well done the RAF.

airborne_artist
10th Apr 2005, 17:34
Turnbull

Do a search on PPrune for photo issues, but in a nutshell, the pics need to be uploaded to some webspace (eg one of the photo album sites) and then you point your post at that image. Or just mail them to me and I can pop them on my server. PM me for an email add.

gingles
11th Apr 2005, 10:37
The co-pilot who saved the chinook was my UAS boss for 3 years! *famous*:cool:
There was a good story about it all in a recent publication - think it might be the RAF magazine that's out every month or so, or something like that.

teeteringhead
11th Apr 2005, 10:51
Used to have a brass plaque in the cockpit telling the tale, but I think that was removed as an "unauthorised modification".:rolleyes:

rafloo
11th Apr 2005, 10:55
Great story....but I do have to ask the question .......

"Op Corporate reunion 3 years ago alongside the 'veterans' "...why would the RAF be holding an Op Corporate reunion..????? were they there?

Tiger_mate
11th Apr 2005, 11:36
There is a Limited Edition Print of "BN" or "N" as it was in the Gulf War II, the details of which are here (http://www.artistic.flyer.co.uk/ch47.htm)

TURNBULL
11th Apr 2005, 13:40
Navaleye and Rafloo,

Sorry, I thought I was being helpful here and providing some background info for anyone interested into the whereabouts of Chinook BN, but clearly you now wish to drag this into a crab bashing session.

I'll know better in future. I will delete the earlier posts, apologies to those from the RAF who were involved in Corporate.

engineer(retard)
11th Apr 2005, 13:46
Turnbull

From Navaleye you hav had:

"of Falklands fame. Did it ever make it back to the UK and is it still flying?"

"TURNBULL, Thanks, that would be good to see if possible. I read her story last night. A true war horse indeed. Well done the RAF."

"But I think they awarded themselves more medals than the other services and led the victory parade in front of Mrs T."

Wonder which personality is going to be dominant next time he posts?

TURNBULL
11th Apr 2005, 13:58
Engineer (retard),

It does kinda put you off contributing.

For the record, medals awarded for Corporate:

RN/RM - 88 (incl 17 x DSOs, 24 x DSC)

Army - 50 (incl 2 x VCs, 4 x DSOs, 1 x DSC)

RAF - 12 (incl 1 x DSC)

Source http://www.naval-history.net/F65awards.htm

I take my hat off to every one of them.

teeteringhead
11th Apr 2005, 13:58
How really, really sucking fad! How on earth can a reasonable sensible question deteriorate so quickly into handbags at dawn. And purlease don't try the "it was only banter" defence.....:( :{ :(

Navaleye
11th Apr 2005, 14:30
Then I stand rightly corrected, neck reeled fully back in and humble apologies to all. :mad:

Off to get my coat.

Training Risky
11th Apr 2005, 22:49
Boys..... really, how many of HM Forces operate chinooks?

And how many of the Grey Funnel Line's vessels (The Ark) do we need to operate into an enemy country (2003)?

And before that, the 'Stan?? (2002)

We do it soooooooooooo much better.

Have a word with yourselves!

Hilife
13th Apr 2005, 12:45
Getting back to the thread..

I believe that this was the first occasion that the Crabs slung a Chinook under a Chinook, she was lowered onto the deck of the container ship Astronomer whilst in the Sound and sent home.

rafloo
13th Apr 2005, 13:03
Exactly.....surely it doesn't matter how many, who, whar , where , when etc etc.... every man and boy who took part in the Falklands war gets my vote....

........well done fellas

high spirits
13th Apr 2005, 19:48
still an 18(B) Sqn chinook. Have flown her all over the world. She also led the push into the Al Faw peninsula to kick off GW2. The smoothest cab in the fleet. The plaque to Sqn Ldr Langworthy of Falklands war times is still on board. Up the mighty BN. She will be back in UK from her latest war soon...

Skylark4
13th Apr 2005, 21:56
Is the story written up anywhere accessible? I have tried Googling it and have failed so far.

Mike W

SASless
13th Apr 2005, 22:50
Some of the "A" model Chinooks I flew starting in 1968 are now living a new life as "F" models....and looking good! Shame the Mob cannot find a way to do the same for the pilots that flew them into combat in the 60's!:E

BTDTGTTShirt
16th Apr 2005, 19:43
Hilife
Not Quite. The first three Chinook Chinook lifts were all done onto MV Leicesterbrook which was quite a small container ship. There wasn’t much clearance to work with at all. We also lifted a Sea King, a Harrier that wrapped itself up in the tin strip at Port San Carlos, all the Pucaras from Stanley airfield and a Phantom. The Sea King was taken to PSC and was flying a few days later. The Harrier was taken to an RFA (Fort George IIRC). The Toome had its engines removed but was still kin heavy. We put it onto Leicesterbrook which was very interesting. No hydraulics no brakes and because of the downwash no one on deck wanted to chock it. Very nearly a wet Toome. Ho Hum! Some of the Pucaras went onto Atlantic Causeway (Conveyer’s sister ship) and some onto Contender Bizant.
Astronomer sailed down to the Falklands with three Chinooks as well as about 6 Wessex and 3 Scouts and a big fuel bowser all in the two hangars built out of containers on the forward deck. Big Ship!

Roger the cabin boy
17th Apr 2005, 10:17
"BN" returned from the Gulf a couple of months ago, and is currently undergoing deep maintenance - she'll be back with us for our next jaunt early next year - and yes, she still has the plaque commemorating CORPORATE. Two DFC's on the same cab 21 years apart. Respect!:cool:

Weezer
26th Apr 2005, 14:47
Navaleye,

You might be interested to know that the original co-pilots door now resides in the Falkland Island Museum, having washed up on a beach in 1991 and was handed into 78 Sqn by a local. Caused quite some consternation until we realised where it was from.

As to the brass plaque. We were told to take it off. And we said we had done so; but it was still on the old bird when I left the Sqn in 2000. Some orders have to be dis-obeyed!!

f4aviation
26th Apr 2005, 15:37
Perhaps she should be retired to Hendon now - if only we had enough reserve aircraft...