PDA

View Full Version : ad-aware

newarksmells
10th Apr 2005, 01:36
Anybody had any problems with the latest definitions file from Ad-Aware? After downloading it, the scan stops after a 1,000 objects and eventually eats up all the memory on the box. The previous version without the latest definitions worked fine.

Cheers

Newark

10th Apr 2005, 06:05
No probs here. Just downloaded the latest definitions and it ran fine.

WindSpirit
10th Apr 2005, 14:57
I ran Ad-aware SE with the definitions file from 7th April and also had no problems.

willby
10th Apr 2005, 15:05
Hi, Slightly related observation. Since I installed the free Microsoft anti-spyware some months ago it updates itself and seems to be doing an excellent job. I have Adware but when I run it now it has little or nothing to detect. Before intalling the microsoft software my pc would noticeably slow down after a couple of weeks and Adware would pick up loads of stuff.
Regards
Willby

Groundgripper
11th Apr 2005, 09:45
I've had a slightly different problem with Ad-aware in that each time I run it, it only finds two items, both labelled DR180Solutions. When I tell the program to delete these it opens the deleting items window and then just hangs and the only thing I can do is to close the main Ad-aware window.

A related question (or two):
one of these two 180solutions files is located in C:PROGRAM FILES/SEARCH-ASSISTANT/SAAP.EXE and the other is in the registry (huge great filename extension!).
Can I just delete the SAAP.EXE file (and, if I'm feeling brave, the Registry file) without causing terminal damage or does it do something else important as well?
What is DR180Solutions, anyway? I was using AntiVir recently and it picked it up several times but said it couldn't delete it because of its location in C:\RESTORE\ARCHIVE\...FS295.CAB Ad-aware doesn't mention this location at all, and AVG anti-virus (and Trend Micro's House Call) don't even find it when I run them.
That shouldn't be a smiley, it should be colon backslash!

you need to select "disable smilies in this post"

Evo
11th Apr 2005, 10:09
If you search for "180 Solutions, Inc." then you'll find lots about them - they claim to be "a leader in online search marketing services. The company delivers highly relevant offers ... " etc.

Looking a their EULA, it seems that they are, at best, a bit of a pain that you agree to install via a click-through EULA that nobody will read

By installing and/or using the Software you grant permission for 180solutions to periodically display sponsors websites to you, and to collect, use and disclose the Usage Data ... You acknowledge that the Software includes an anonymous user ID and an electronic cookie that enables 180solutions to collect such information and to display advertising targeted to you.

... 180solutions, in its sole discretion, may provide you with released Updates to the Software as part of this Agreement. The Software will check with 180solutions for these Updates automatically, and in the event that an Update is available, the Update will be installed automatically by the Software.

i.e. you allow them to track you online, spam you with adverts and install anything else they like on your PC without asking. Nice, huh?

Groundgripper
11th Apr 2005, 16:57
Hmm, nice............not!

Thanks for that Evo, I first encountered it while I was downloading the free version of Zone Alarm - sort of goes against the spirit of that particular software, doesn't it?:hmm:

gas path
11th Apr 2005, 17:19
Silly question maybe, but is it in 'add/remove programmes' ? before you tinker with the registry.

Evo
11th Apr 2005, 17:35
Very sensible question.

There is a spectrum of these adware companies. Some are downright criminal and will sneak the software onto your system without telling you and once it's there, hook it in real tight so it isn't going anywhere without surgery. Others are just questionable ethically; as with the EULA above you usually have agreed to install their software, even if the agreement is buried in reams of mind-numbing legal prolixity. Depending on the authors, the software may come with an uninstaller, although they're not going to draw attention to it - as they don't really want you to know the software is there. The installer may or may not actually uninstall their software - the dummy uninstaller isn't unknown.

Scottie Dog
11th Apr 2005, 21:15
I have a similar problem to that found by Groundgripper, however in my case it seems to be caused by MediaMotor which has installed itself in the System files on the C: drive - C: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHKNCN.EXE. I can not remove it as the system says that it is being used by Windows.

Any suggestions for a layman?

Thanks

Scottie Dog

Flik Roll
11th Apr 2005, 23:17
I had problems with adware recently. It was caused by something i had sitting in my PC which stopped it self-updating or installing new updates or working properly.
It could be you have something? Spybot search and Destroy when run in safe mode can clean up pretty much anything dodgy (often stuff that adaware doesnt notice) and the also run in normal mode. If that doesn't work, try running adaware in safe mode, and if that still doesn't work...I'm lost.
There is a really good PC forum called Castle Cops - full of PC nerds who really do know everything...so you could try them! (It's a HUGE forum!)

newarksmells
12th Apr 2005, 20:42
Thanks to all who answered. And Scottiedog, I have the exact problem with MediaMotor !!

I installed Spybot and cleaned up multiple files and rebooted. Then I couldn't connect to the Web. One I de-installed Spybot, all was well.

There should be a law in place that puts the scumbags who place this stuff on our computers away for 10 years. It is trespassing, hacking, violating our privacy....(place your own rant here)....

I personally see no difference between placing a file on another person's computer than sneaking into somebody's house and sleeping in the spare bed downstairs while the occupants sleep upstairs. It is 100% wrong and only stiff penalties of jail time will solve it. What the hell are they teaching kids in school today so they think it's O.K to go out and write this s*it to infect peoples' computers?

I've worked in computers for 25 years and would never ever dream of touching another person's computer or files. It's sad the younger "X" and "Y" generations think this is O.K...and even worse think this is a honest living. Throw them all in jail and throw away the key.

Newarksmells

Evo
13th Apr 2005, 05:02
Newark, it's been illegal in the UK since at least 1990 (the Computer Misuse Act), punishable by jail and/or a fine.

However, most users do agree in one way or another to this stuff being installed (viz. the 180 Solutions EULA above), although the agreement is highly questionable ethically; it is usually buried in the depths of click-through agreement for some other piece of software, so very few users will even be aware the agreement exists.

For example, i've just read the Kazaa EULA (saddo, huh? :) ) - it's actually unusually short and unobfuscated, but still contains the usual: s9.1 requires you to install "third party software", including (without limitation) a list they helpfully provide in s9.4 (cydoor, TopSearch, GAIN AdServer, Instafinder). Under s.3.5 you may not block or remove any of this software. So ... by installing Kazza, you've agreed to install this cr@p. It's not Misuse, it isn't even illegal, because you said "yes" to it.

Scottie Dog
13th Apr 2005, 09:27
Well I'm glad that I am not the only person with problems.

Yep, I guess I will have to read the conditions of acceptance for everything that I download in future - tell that to my daughter!!

Thanks again for the input - still have to get rid of Mediamotor.

Scottie Dog

F4Fan
13th Apr 2005, 10:06
Hi

the problem with 180 Solutions is there is an uninstall, but it links you to the web site and does not work.

This web site has great solutions for removing 180 Solutions search Assistant Spyware.

http://www.sawtoothdistortion.com/Articles/Uninstall180Search.html

I do a lot of work removing spyware and have now got it pretty much locked down.

SpyWare blaster is very good as it blocks ActiveX files (Auto diallers etc) being installed on you system.

I also have webroot which blocks anything changing my homepage and Spybot,which is excellent at stopping anything making registy changes.

Even then Ad-Ware find a couple of things

F4fan