PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

Wingwisher
9th Apr 2005, 15:46
Hi

Just have a quick question, how important and strict are airlines on your ability to swim. When training what extend consists of swimming?

Also could anyone shed some light on working for Aer Lingus as cabin crew and what rates of pay are like.

Grateful for any answers
Wingwisher

BrakesOff
9th Apr 2005, 16:57
Wingwisher

A friend of mine has recently started with Aer Lingus as Cabin crew. Its a seasonal contract due to end this October.

From memory pay is approx EUR900 a month plus flight pay plus overnight allowances. All new crew are DUB based, the flying is shorthaul with overnights in London, Amsterdam and possibly Cork (not sure about that one). There is no cost for training and the uniform is free. A lot of earlies and lates on the roster.

The training is first class and would position you nicely if you chose to work with another airline.

With regard to swimming it is a requirement, however most of the training is carried out wearing the life jacket and being able to put it on while threading water, depending on the airline you may have to swim 20-25m. Don't worry to much about it.

I certainly wouldnt let it put you of:)

mummyred
9th Apr 2005, 18:17
I'm rubbish at swimming but got through VAA swimming bit no probs. Just make sure your 'rescue person' is a strong swimmer - they'll be able to help you.

Wannabe Flyboy
9th Apr 2005, 20:33
Does any CC training involve the use of 'dunk tanks' such as the Navy use for helicopter training? A mock-up of a fuesalage dropped into a swimming pool would create some waves and would make it slightly more realistic though I bet it would put some people off.

SkySista
10th Apr 2005, 05:49
Saskatoon, not sure if QF actually do it, but...

I recall after the loss of life in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race a few years ago, this time around at least 50% of each yacht's crew were required to undergo 'swimming survival" training. Apparently QF's pool at Mascot was used.

Not only were all the crew dumped in wearing full gear, but the water was churned up, the lights were flickered on and off at random intervals, and apparently they had divers under the water simulating what it's like to have a drowing oerson trying to use you as a life jacket! :ooh:

Reckon it'd be great if airlines did the same - bit more realistic!! :E

Sky

STICKYFLAPS
13th Apr 2005, 15:41
Or even some form of training of swimming with a lifejacket on.
Far from as easy as it sounds. Life jackets are designed to keep the user on their back, with their head above water. Any attempt to swim "normaly" is seriously hindered as the jacket want's to tip you over on to your back. Not easy if your trying to head in a straight line to a life raft. For those that have difficulty swimming, to swim backwards would be even harder still.

ricciricardo
15th Apr 2005, 00:03
If your worried about your ability to swim at EP's do yourself a favour by going to the pool frequently a couple of weeks before training and at least get familiar with being in the water. You 'll feel more confident when it comes to the practical exercises.:D

Wingwisher
18th Apr 2005, 07:11
Brakesoff

Have sent you a pm

Thanks
Wingwisher