PDA

View Full Version : FAA needs BAC1-11 training?

forget
8th Apr 2005, 12:25
Nostalgia I suppose. Now why would the FAA need BAC1-11 training?

http://www.eps.gov/spg/DOT/FAA/MMACTR/DTFAAC-05-Q-00025/SynopsisR.html

Iron City
8th Apr 2005, 15:09
There are about 20 BAC 1-11s on the US register. Not sure how many have current CofAs but appears there is a continuing need to have 1 or more inspectors current in type.

USAir (ne Allegheny) used to be a big operator and had a fair size training operation at PIT. Trained S. American airline crews and others, but that was years ago, probably all gone now. Wonder where?

treadigraph
8th Apr 2005, 16:02
Braniff used to have them as well, way way back... think they mostly ended up as Corporate Barges... Ah, the old Braniff scheme...

HZ123
8th Apr 2005, 18:46
Does anyone from the thread know how many are still flying. A P4 registered one left SEN UK two weeks ago after an interior refit. I had been hoping to see it depart but missed it of course. There are a number still operating under P4 reg out of Romania, probably due to the spares availble from the Rombacs 1-11s.

pigboat
9th Apr 2005, 00:27
There's a company in Miami, whose name escapes me at the moment, that took over the USAir BAC1-11 and Fairchild F-27/227 initial and recurrent training. Both sims are located there. There are a lot of ex-USAir pilots retired all over Florida, so there is no shortage of instructors.

Compass Call
9th Apr 2005, 20:29
HZ123

Go to http://fp.mrshubigbus.plus.com You should find the info you need about the BAC1-11 there. The site is a veritable mine of information on the 1-11 aircraft and the survivors.

CC

Loose rivets
11th Apr 2005, 05:59
Mmm...flown a few of those. Pretty little airplane innit?

barit1
11th Apr 2005, 21:54
Speaking of pretty, somewhere in my collection is a photo of a Mohawk bird in their final colors as Allegheny was taking them over. Very attractive, brown & yellow blended as I recall.

All long gone I suspect. Great little plane to ride, but R/T after touchdown was cause for ear protection...