PDA

View Full Version : British Mediterranean

Danzet
8th Apr 2005, 11:53
Hello Guys

I am a cabin crew from Monarch. I am new to this Forum and I am quite happy to have found it.

I have an interview with BMED in May and i need help since I would love to go through.

Can anybody help me? How are the interviews like? What do they consist of? What are they exactly looking for in them? Any tips?

Please any bmed crew that may help me !

Thanks very much in advance...

Greetings,

Danzet

pips
8th Apr 2005, 16:26
You will need to know about BA and the one world , try going on bmeds web site and have a look at their history so you know when they first started , how many a/c they have , where they fly to ect . I think the interveiw is the same as all the others ,same type of questions my partner works for them as c/c you work very hard and only get 2 days off in between flts sometimes, but once on board its easy ,you would see a huge diffrence going from a charter airline. He brings home about 14/1500 a month and you can get promoted after a year with them to assistant purser good look i shall have my fingers crossed for you xxx

exmax
8th Apr 2005, 23:01
As pips said, do your research on the company.
One thing they may put to you is that you're away from home a lot going to some some very "out of the ordinary" destinations unlike many airlines that fly to the more popular destinations, so how would you feel about it? I would say, look at their route network and see if those places are for you - it's something to take into account.

I don't know what the interview format is like now, but I'd imagine it'd pretty much be similar to the other airines, but dress to impress, smile, be natural and give examples of customer service etc.

TheTwin
10th Apr 2005, 00:17
I worked for BMED for 5 years and as long as you are professional and dont rock the boat too, much then you will find the rewards will come. Yes, the destinations are "different", but try to keep an open mind as most of them are very rich in culture and are places you would never find yourself going to voluntarily, but like I said, that isnt necessarily something to look at negatively. The money is good , and if you are competent then you can find yourself being promoted much more quickly than you would be in other airlines. However, if you are a bit of a junkie where western "culture" is concerned, and want to go spending all your money in shopping malls, then this will NOT be the airline for you. As for Ian Milton? I always found him to be very charming. You will hear alot of bad press about BMED amongst the community, but as I have found out, the grass isnt always greener!

Inflight entertainer
10th Apr 2005, 15:04
BMED is a great company to work for, with some great stopovers for the summer season Back to BEY!!!!!, but it is not for everyone you must realise that you only get on average 8 days off in the Uk if you get more its a bonus, and the destinations ARE and always will be DIFFERENT but downroute we all have fun and all get on very well..

Salary is good for newies and as said before you only have to be here a year to go for assistant purser, providing you have 1 years experience elsewhere or it is 2 years at BMED.

Great place to have some exciting times, and a fair company to work for and the BA grass is not always greener!! according to many!!!

In interview B yourself and enjoy it!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

wan2fly
10th Apr 2005, 22:22
I would also like to apply for BMed I am currently charter crew but out of BHX - is it possible to commute ?

Also - How do I apply just send off CV ? or do Bmed have an on line app form ?

Thanks guys and thanks for all your help and tips on here very helpful. ;)

exmax
11th Apr 2005, 08:11
Hi wan2fly,

Yes, you can commute to LHR, I knew of a few people that did that, so go for it.

Check out Bmed website http://www.flybmed.com for more info and contact details.

:ok:

wan2fly
11th Apr 2005, 09:57
Hi

Thanks for this matey !!

LHR_777
14th Apr 2005, 20:00
Hi folks,

Well, after being denied at BA, I've decided to apply for BMED instead. They have a pretty interesting route network and I work with their crews everyday and there are some really lovely people there...

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any more inside info they can share, and specifically, if there are any BMED crew here, an example roster would be most useful.

Also, do BMED have standby and available days like BA?

Thanks very much in advance.

despatch
15th Apr 2005, 17:16
hi danzet
I just came over from monarch to bmed and can verify that bmed is a piece of cake to work for in comparrison to monarch.The ppl are much friendlier there is not such thing between temporary and permanent crew and no one is watching u from their office to see if u wear a hat(girls) on the crewbus(hahaha)i must admit u are a lot of time away from home and the destinations are a bit diffrent.but i must say its all worth it.i dont really want to slag monarch off but u will find a better work enviroment amongs fellow crew members than bmed.some adive for the interview is to know ba and the oneworld aliance go to bmeds webpage and see how ba benefits from bmed and vice versae.be urself and dont be too loud or too quiet.anyway good luck and let me know how it goes
:}

LHR_777
19th Apr 2005, 17:27
I applied for crew at BMED about a week ago. I received a letter today, advising me that BMED had received a huge response to a specific advert for crew (??) and that they now had a full compliment of crew and had stopped hiring. However, the letter also advised that I'd be contacted shortly with crew vacancies when they start hiring again, in June/July.

So, do they really have enough crew, or have they just suspended hiring for the meantime? Surely if they'll start hiring again in June/July, they don't have enough crew?!

tofster
19th Apr 2005, 17:37
Hi there I am currently flying for Bmed and at the moment that do have a full crew compliment. However, quite a few people are waiting for courses at BA. I believe the company are aware of this and are just safe guarding themselves at the moment. Good luck with the application, Bmed is great airline to work for!

wan2fly
19th Apr 2005, 20:11
Hi

I today, received the same letter - so at least they have our application and it wasn't a thanks but no thanks.

Lets hope they contact us in June/July - I hope so as they seem to be different ( as in routes etc) than any other airline so I hope it works out for us.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Cheers.

wan2fly
19th Apr 2005, 20:43
Hi

Well done you !! - you must know every airline interview off by heart by now ;-)

Lets hope this is the one for you eh? - You gonna move to LHR or commute ?

When did you apply ? as you can see above we must have been a little too late.

Do your homework on the BA one world and study study the BMED website.

Go for it.

wan2fly
19th Apr 2005, 22:02
Hi Iain -

My god mate did you wanna work for Air Atlanta ???? lol

I checked re commuting and yes its poss. BA crew commute from my home town to LHR - I think ( BA/BMED chaps correct me if im wrong but you bid for trips to cut down stand by's?) - A guy I know with BA stays with friend if standby.

Well late we were - but i really hope you get it.

good luck

svona
21st Apr 2005, 15:39
Good luck to all of ya trying to get into BMED, it indeed is a great little airline to work for, and we (nearly) always have a brilliant time at work.

In fact we cannot bid for trips or rosters, so one month you might end up with loads of stanbys, and the next not so many.
When you're on standby, you have 90 mins from getting called out to get yourself to work. Most of the time the guys and girls at ops are good enough to let you know with as much notice as possible, but there are always some instances where it can't be helped.

For the interview, it will most likely start off with a group discussions (where you will be divided into smaller groups), and task solving, and playing a little game.
Then they let you know who passed to the 2-1 interview which is the same afternoon normally.
No need to be stressed as the folks on the recruitment team are all very easy going and friendly. They all fly so they will look for people who they see themselves working with onboard.

Again, best of luck.

Itswindyout
21st Apr 2005, 15:52
Just back from a day trip to Amman from LHR....down the back, but plenty of room...little tight on the leg room, but not as bad as BA shorthaul....food was a hot meal and excellent, service was friendly, and efficient. ...keep it up guys....

airmemphis
24th Apr 2005, 15:30
I'm really disappointed BMED messed up their HBE flights. They downgraded it from 4x weekly LHR-HBE-ADD flights to 3x weekly LHR-BEY-HBE. I hope they re-instate non-stop flights soon. Having said that at least BA (through GB Airways) will start flights to SSH and HRG in October.

VirginFSM
28th Apr 2005, 16:43
Hi,

All this is very interesting to a VS Flight Service Mangager who is getting a bit of wanderlust!

Can anyone share a sample roster or give an idea of trip patterns please. Would really appreciate it. Also whilst I know it is not always appropriate to talk money of these forums, can someone give an idea of starting salary, asst pur, pur etc? Is money hourly paid or meal allows?

Cheers

VirginFSM

LOTflyer
29th Apr 2005, 10:01
Guys,

I wanna ask you about your roster, I mean are most of your trips with layovers (nightstops) or are there also some long there and backs?

Thanx in advance,

LOTflyer

Greets from WAW, though it's rainy day....

pondskipper
29th Apr 2005, 16:35
Well in response to Lotflyer and Virginfsm,

This is my roster for next month so it should give you some idea.

3 days off
3 day Damascas
3 days off
2 days sby
4 day Beirut (shuttle to alexandria on 2nd night)
1 day off
5 day Tbilisi
2 days off
5 day Amman (Shuttle to Addis Ababa on 2nd night)
2 days standby
1 day off

Minimum trip at the moment is 3 days and maximum is 5 days. We never do there and back!

As far as wages go this is a typical average. Cabin crew 1300 - 1600, Assistant Pursers 1400 - 1700, Pursers 1700 - 2000.

I think the starting salary for cabin crew is around £11,000 (Not 100% sure maybe a bit more) Then we are paid an hourly allowance of approx £2.55 an hour from the moment you check in until the the time you get back to LHR. And this is paid into your salary and not in local currency down route etc.

Hope this all helps.

LOTflyer
29th Apr 2005, 16:58
Thanx pondskipper,

This really looks nice especially for commuting. I would love to see Beirut and Damascus as my friends from LOT keep saying these were wonderfull layovers years ago...

LOTflyer

airmemphis
29th Apr 2005, 23:40
pondskipper, do you have any idea if they plan to upgrade their Alexandria (HBE) flights again? maybe this winter?

pondskipper
30th Apr 2005, 14:24
I have no idea AIRMEMPHIS. BMED seems to change its schedules and routes every season! You never know whats gonna happen.

airmemphis
1st May 2005, 18:40
pondskipper, well I'd appreciate if you give us a heads up if they change HBE flight. You can always email me. Thanks

VirginFSM
1st May 2005, 19:04
Thanks for the info Pondskipper. Do you know what the promo chances would be for someone who has 13 years flying with VS and is a CSD equiv?

Cheers

pondskipper
2nd May 2005, 11:41
Promotion can be very quick. You have to be with Bmed for 1 year before you can apply for Assistant Purser and you have to be an Assistant Purser for 1 year before you can apply for Purser.

Because the company keeps growing they are constantly recruiting for promotion.

VirginFSM
2nd May 2005, 13:53
Hi again pondskipper

Sorry to pick your brain more but this is all V interesting!

Are the hotels of a good standard and it is safe to go out and about in some of the more "interesting destinations"?

What are pax loads like?

Is it a profitable airline?

What future fleet plans do they have?

Do they have the new BA uniform yet, if not when?

This really interests me, going to such different places sound like real travelling!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

VirginFSM

VirginFSM
2nd May 2005, 14:54
Cheers Preppy and pondskipper,

I reckon I might apply you know!

If you want a private chat give me a PM. Would really appreciate as much honest info as poss B4 I really think of throwing my VS seniority away!

Do you have loyal crew or is there quite a large turnover?

Cheers both again

VirginFSM

wan2fly
3rd May 2005, 12:09
Hi Guys

Pondskipper ! - I notice your based in Shropshire ? - If so do you commute and is it ok for standbys etc ? - I live in the Midlands and wouldnt really want to move to LHR area if i joined BMED - Whats your view on this ?

Also - Anyone - Whats the likely hood that BMED will recruit during the summer ? I applied and received a letter advising that they are not recruiting until July as they had a massive response to the most recent recruitment drive ?. I cant understand though that they invite for applications on the web site...but hey ho any replies re this would be very welcome.

Thanks

PS - Iain if your out there how was interview and did you get it ?

pondskipper
3rd May 2005, 13:56
VirginFSM - We do have loyal crew however saying that we have had a massive turnover in the last year and half due to BA recruiting but so have all airlines. The turnover at Bmed at the moment seems to have slowed right down.

wan2fly - It is possible to commute and alot of crew do. We even have crew who live in spain and france. But it can be hard work. I posted a typical roster on this forum take a look at it and decide for yourself if you could be bothered to commute only you can make that decision. Not sure about the recruitment but i know they do have alot of applications, we seem to have become a popular airline considering 2 years ago no-one really knew about Bmed and it was called Heathrow's little secret!!

VirginFSM
3rd May 2005, 13:58
Cheers Pondskipper!

VirginFSM

wan2fly
4th May 2005, 18:04
Thanks Pondskipper

Thats really helpful - well I would love to join BMED - great and different destinations - beats taking a 757 of 235 chavs to Ibiza on a sat night !!;)

Thanks again

LOTflyer
8th May 2005, 15:32
How long does the trg with BMED take? Is it also on sat&sun?

Cheers,

LOTflyer