PDA

View Full Version : Luton passes 8,000,000

LTNman
8th Apr 2005, 10:55
Today at approximately 14:00z Luton will have handled its 8,000,000th passenger. This is the rolling total compared to 14:00 April 8th 2004. By midnight tonight the total will have increased to 8,003,000.

It has taken 9 months to add the last million.

Powerjet1
8th Apr 2005, 11:27
9m by the end of the year then, or more?.

LTNman
8th Apr 2005, 11:35
At the moment growth is coming from Wizz and Ryanair on routes that were not operated this time last year. This rapid growth will soon slow down as the first anniversary of Wizz approaches.

Wonder what ever happened to the 3 new LTN based aircraft easyjet promised last year.

CAP670
8th Apr 2005, 16:03
Ryanair will be adding a double daily Shannon service next month, using a Shannon-based aircraft orginating in Shannon.

Discussion continues regarding another three Luton-based RYR aircraft from September. Ryanair is attempting to drive an even harder 'bargain' with Luton's new operating Company which is prepared to negotiate but is not willing to be dictated to.

The feeling is that the two sides will reach a compromise because Ryanair is keen to expand further routes from Luton (all its existing ones are achieving average load factors of 90% or more except Stockholm which is averaging around 60% to 70%) and the new airport operating company is determined to grow its business significantly over the next five years.

Thus, 10M annual pax at LTN by 2006/07 isn't such an unrealistic figure.

:ok:

Powerjet1
8th Apr 2005, 16:41
CAP670

I think the Shannon ops starting next month are daily, not double daily, at least for the moment.

kala87
8th Apr 2005, 20:03
Any chance of FR starting LTN-Naples and Palermo?

Slightly off-topic, what was the Varig DC-10 doing at LTN yesterday? Made a great sight on departure.

LTNman
8th Apr 2005, 21:55
what was the Varig DC-10 doing at LTN yesterday? Made a great sight on departure.

It has been into Luton at least two times before carrying horses.

LTNman
11th Apr 2005, 21:48
I have just pulled out my copy of the 2002 Department of Transport’s document called The Future of Air Transport in the United Kingdom, which was meant to predict future expansion and needs at UK airports. For Luton the forecast for 2015 is 8,000,000 passengers using the current land and runway. Luton got there 10 years early.

pabely
13th Apr 2005, 10:40
With reported night time closures for runway resufacing this winter, I wonder how much Cargo, Biz and Max rotation of LCC carriers will be lost and will peg further growth? :hmm:

LTNman
13th Apr 2005, 17:34
5 month closure from 23:00 to 06:00 starting end of October.

Buster the Bear
13th Apr 2005, 19:08
Luton runway closure according to LTNman:

5 month closure from 23:00 to 06:00 starting end of October.

LTNman prove it, come on!

Buster understands that there will be essential works on the runway over next winter, but dates/times have yet to be negotiated with all the interested parties?

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

TheOddOne
13th Apr 2005, 19:18
Good luck with the night closures. Probably one of the most challenging jobs for Ops people, ensuring all is well for the opening in the morning. Hopefully our work this Summer will finish just in time to mop up the CATIII stuff divving in tho' I guess most divs from LTN would rather go to STN than LGW...

What you need is a nice 2,600 metre visual strip parallel to the main, to keep the customers happy during the night. Just widen a taxiway, that's what we did!

Well done on the 8 mil pax. Rapid growth is painful, challenging but good for the soul (& bank balance)

Cheers,
The Odd One

LTNman
13th Apr 2005, 19:48
Luton runway closure according to LTNman:

Read it on the notice board at one of Luton’s 2 FBO’s the other day. It talked about the runway being resurfaced. The dates are not set in stone as it is a proposal but then they are not going to do the work in the summer are they.

I remember the last time the runway was resurfaced. It took months but then they did build up an extra 3 or 4 ft to the 26 end to reduce the hump in the middle.

Go and ask your mate who retired to Spain. He thought the work was being started last October

Buster the Bear
13th Apr 2005, 21:18
So the date/times you posted are not set in stone, but you said they were and now they are not?

Sounds like you are just like the runway layout at Luton, forever back tracking prior to departure?

Anyway as for:

"Go and ask your mate who retired to Spain. He thought the work was being started last October".

I would suggest that you seriously check your facts prior to posting? Sorry, I forgot, this is a rumour network, in your case rumour is spelt.............. 'Lets knock Luton Airport'!

I have no personal grudge, but I bet you make a living from the place you seem to chose to take great pleasure in criticising?

Buster would like to remind folk that:

1) He is a big brown BEAR
2) He has no friends
3) He would love to retire
4) Could never leave Whipsnade, for his love of Luton Airport!
5) He is a Mad Hatter, through and through!
6) He adores LTNman

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

LTNman
13th Apr 2005, 22:15
A hearth rug wroteI have no personal grudge, but I bet you make a living from the place you seem to chose to take great pleasure in criticising?

Look here little bear, for months I have put up with a barrage of insults from you and I don’t know why. I mention about the closure of LTN’s runway for repairs and you interpret this as me knocking the airport, which clearly it isn’t. The document talks about the closure of the runway from late October to March 2006 from 23:00 – 06.00 to all fix winged aircraft and helicopters due to resurfacing work. Is the document badly worded and should read that the runway will be closed at times between October and March I don’t know. It certainly didn’t read that way and I read it twice.

Go and have a nose in the 2 FBO’s and have a look at their notice boards, it isn’t hard to find which one contains the notice. Mind you after you spilled the beans about the easyjet fleet you might not be welcomed as a trusted bear. I on the other hand am welcomed everywhere but then I know when to keep my trap shut.

Oh yes before I forget. This good news thread about Luton was started by me!

I politely ask you to stop having a dig at me as it will soon be the bear hunting season and I am sure you really don’t want me to come after you. :E :E As for easyjet they are still hunting for a mole instead of a bear!!!