PDA

View Full Version : AIr Marshall McFadyen Leaving the job (again)

STANDTO
7th Apr 2005, 21:23
Air Marshall Ian Mcfadyen - lately known as 'His Excellency' in his role as lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man, Leaves his post later this year. His five year term of office has all too soon, come to an end.

He has probably been the most popular and effective LG of the last hundred years. Despite initial issues that the position hadn't gone to a Manx person, he and his wife Sally, have worked tirelessly to promote the Island, and involve themselves with its people and traditions.

He has been a tremendous patron to aviation on the Island, from the Air cadets, through the Gliding Club, the Air show, the Manx Aviation Preservation Society, and his many interesting lectures.

Personally, I think he should get a knighthood on the back of his services to the Island.

I just thought it might be an idea to run a little thread on here, with some favorite anecdotes from those who have served with him. I'll find some way of presenting him with the finished product in an appropriate manner.

Anything too candid for public consumption can be submitted by PM.

Thanks

STANDTO

Wholigan
7th Apr 2005, 21:30
And he's coming back to fly with me and he'll have to stand to attention! He'll be a flying officer! ;)

Rocket2
8th Apr 2005, 09:36
Way back in the early 80’s I was on an RAF gliding expedition at Aboyne (Royal Deeside) when Ian called up on frequency from his Phantom & asked us how things were going. As he flew slowly down the valley past the airfield at about 500 ft rocking his wings, a civilian called out “Aboyne gliders beware of another @$£&y Air Force pilot flying near Aboyne & not looking out” the retort from Ian was swift & to the point. In his finest Queens English he announced that “I am NOT some @$£&y Air Force pilot Sir, I am the Leuchar’s Station Commander, an RAFGSA glider pilot and I am indeed looking out as is my navigator who knows exactly where we & probably you & all the other gliders in the area are!” With that there was an almighty roar at the Speys went into max reheat & the Phantom sat on it’s backside & stayed there until it was well out of sight.

I never served under Ian’s command but it has been my great & continued pleasure to meet & talk to him & Sally at competitions & many locations over the years & I always think of him as a true gentleman. Ian if you read this I hope I’ll see you both on the grid at Honington July 05. Good luck sir!
Rocket2 (JH):ok:

maxburner
8th Apr 2005, 09:58
I had the pleasure of working for the man when he was ACDS OR in main building. He was always a gentleman and a delight to work for. I wish him well.

soddim
8th Apr 2005, 10:48
One of the RAF's finest and most upstanding officers - not surprising that he continues to exert his usual devoted effort in the best traditions of service.

Worked both with and for him and both experiences were positive.

He and Sally will do well at whatever they do.

The Swinging Monkey
8th Apr 2005, 12:06
Took the said chap (and his bl00dy wife!!) flying a few ago. Never been so scared in all my life!! If he was a pilot, then I'm a Dutchman!!
Not sure how he hasn't killed himself long before he got to his current rank.
'fraid I didn't like the bloke - bit of a no££er actually!
Kind regards
TSM

CANTSAY
8th Apr 2005, 12:50
If he is already an Air Marshall, why has he not got his 'Sir' gong?

Who did he upset so as not to get it when he was made an AM?

soddim
8th Apr 2005, 12:51
Guess you've now had a change of nationality then, TSM.

The Swinging Monkey
8th Apr 2005, 14:21
Soddim

Yea, take your point.
Bewtter get me cloggs out eh??!!
TSM

Pontius Navigator
8th Apr 2005, 15:46
The Guernsey billet falls vaccant this year too. On play of cards it is the RAF turn although they were not too impressed with their last Guernaise Air Officer.

sycamore
8th Apr 2005, 17:47
Perhaps TSM should apply....Well versed in diplomacy...and wearing clogs, he should be able to walk on water..!:rolleyes:

Impiger
8th Apr 2005, 20:51
Cantsay

A K or a G is no longer automatic with 3* status, and hasn't been for some time. Fadge made 3* as DG Saudi Armed Forces Project and few in that post have been knighted.

He commanded 29 Sqn and Leuchars so obviously qualifies as a top bloke ...............

STANDTO
8th Apr 2005, 20:54
Well, apart from TSM, this is building in to a nice little thread. Thanks for so far

STANDTO

BEagle
9th Apr 2005, 05:22
Fadge was a good guy right from his RAFC days. Wasn't he on B sqn along with such chaps as Sir Jock and Phil Roser?

Pity about being on 2X1X though.....;)

henry crun
9th Apr 2005, 07:55
Wash your mouth out Beagle. :)

aw ditor
9th Apr 2005, 16:29
B Sqn. hasn't been the same since Peter Townsend left

A2QFI
10th Apr 2005, 16:05
I remember living in OMQ in the 60s and my kids pet rabbit escaped. It was found and a few minutes later Mrs F came around to invite my daughter round, with a brush and pan, to sweep up the offerings that had been left on her garage floor. Further comment not required!