PDA

View Full Version : Oatcakes

Dead_Heading
7th Apr 2005, 19:19
D_H has just come back from a splendid holiday in Derbyshire. Days spent hiking, evenings spent propping up local bars. Anyway, for breakfast, had oatcakey things with fried breakfast. New things to me, a soft southerner. How on earth are they made? Where are the best ones from? Information on these delicacies please!

mikedurward
7th Apr 2005, 19:23
As far as I am aware they area Scottish phenomenon, along with porridge and of course, DEEP FRIED MARS BARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krystal n chips
7th Apr 2005, 19:42
Welcome to civilisation !:D ---see, we are quite human North of Watford ( exclusion clauses apply for certain areas however )--as for oatcakes, well if there is a Morrisons near you, they stock a couple of different varieties--otherwise, you may be out of luck. Best I can do I'm afraid for the moment--but will have a look over the next couple of days unless anybody else beats me to it.

If you happen to have an addiction however, I will happily transport as many as you wish to the decandent South for you--for 's of course--no such thing as a free lunch--or breakfast ! :p :ok:

messybeast
7th Apr 2005, 19:52
Derbyshre (and Staffordshire) Oatcakes are slightly different from the Scottish ones. They are bigger, softer and usually served warm.

Try
http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/features/2002/10/oatcakes.shtml

Conan the Librarian
7th Apr 2005, 19:53
It is possible being in Derbyshire, that what you in fact had, were Staffordshire Oatcakes. A delicacy of North Staffs and the Potteries, a quick Google will narrow it down.

Yup, they are delicious!

Simtech
7th Apr 2005, 20:31
You can get them at most big supermarkets these days, but they're not as good as those I used to get from the little stalls outside Derby's market hall.

BALIX
7th Apr 2005, 21:17
Dunno how the Derbyshire ones are made but the Scottish ones are made from recycled cardboard with a seasoning of cement :yuk:

Jinkster
7th Apr 2005, 23:45
DH,

Just out of interest where abouts in Derbyshire did you go?

Jinkster

Jerricho
8th Apr 2005, 00:02
as for oatcakes, well if there is a Morrisons near you, they stock a couple of different varieties--otherwise, you may be out of luck

What Krystal isn't telling you is they actually grind up cats as the secret ingredient :E :E :E

spekesoftly
8th Apr 2005, 02:17
if there is a Morrisons near you, they stock a couple of different varieties--otherwise, you may be out of luck.

Also plenty of choice at other supermarkets; Tesco and Sainsburys, for example, each stock at least six different varieties of Oatcakes - Nairn's is one of my favourites.

Rollingthunder
8th Apr 2005, 03:17
Two threads on oatcakes. Who would have thought it possible. Not strictly a Scottish phenomonon, the Irish do them as well. Not to my taste though, prefer a nice farl.

Blacksheep
8th Apr 2005, 05:27
The best ones are in 'Compo' rations.

I always preferred lugging a six-man one-day ration pack round in my Bergen 'cause you got more Oatmeal cakes [and Irish Stew, but that's another story] than in a one-man six-day pack.

Rollingthunder
8th Apr 2005, 05:32
Is that where "Compo" in "Last of the Summer Wine" got his name? There was a character with my last name in that program.

Blacksheep
8th Apr 2005, 07:33
Food to carry round in your back pack, when you're on manouvres [or "Yomping" if you're a Marine out for a stroll.]

Compo ['K' Rations to our transatlantic cousins] tasted OK, but as the ration packs were designed to provide maximum nourishment with minimum weight, they left you permanently hungry. The oatmeal cakes in a No. 3 pack's breakfast kit were worth dying for.

BTW, the proper Mars Bars that come in those compo rations are twice the size of the ones you get in the shops and only just fit into your mouth. It isn't just a golden memory.

henry crun
8th Apr 2005, 09:16
Rollingthunder: Don't tell me, let me guess, you are really Nora Batty ?

IFTB
8th Apr 2005, 09:23
are slightly different from the Scottish ones. They are bigger, softer and usually served warm.
Yeah, the good old English! But they don't stay warm very long I find. :}

tony draper
8th Apr 2005, 09:28
Ha! compo rations indeed, our armed forces are getting soft, in the old days they wudda just cooked and ate one of the enemy.
One loved tinned sausages such as we used to get at sea, this was unusal as most seafarers seemed to hate em, so one often had to eat thirty or forty of the buggas when they appeared on the brecky menu to save em going over the side.
:rolleyes:

TURIN
8th Apr 2005, 17:11
Everything you need to know about the Staffs Oatcake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/local_heroes/n_s/oatcake_recipe.shtml (http://)

Beltin' full of bacon, cheese and fried musrooms.:D

Krystal n chips
8th Apr 2005, 18:55
Right, OK, fine, -----how was I to know they sold the damn things in the South :confused: ----last time I read about Morrisons, the poor dears who used to shop at Safeways were complaining--albeit with some justification, that said company had imposed "good solid Yorkishire food" on them in lieu of the healthy options----something to to with regional tastes--so I thought---not a euphimism either :eek: that the same would apply to the others.

Anyway, for Jerricho--is this culinary wish your abiding memory of fine UK cuisine then ??:rolleyes: ---or a dry run for the MIL :D

Blacksheep---sorry, these are like pancakes not the brick version a la compo.

Turin---thank you for reminding me about what I am missing you sod ! ;) :D --Ms K n C has implemented a diet regime in the house so many of my preferences are now--in the short term I have to say---er, "banned"-----however, I do commute the length and breadth of the UK--if you see what I mean :ok: I can only drool at the thought of your description though. :ok:

Blacksheep
11th Apr 2005, 02:58
Krystal you barbarian! You didn't eat them raw did you? :eek:

You're supposed to soften them with three teaspoons of water and warm them in a billy with a cover on.

flowman
11th Apr 2005, 05:49
When I were a lad they used to make 'em locally and serve them out of the front window of a terraced house near my granny's place. It's a North Staffs thing.
Best served rolled up with bacon and melted cheese or bacon and grilled tomato inside. Not exactly health food but definitely comfort food for anyone from the potteries.
Any visitors to flowmansion always bring a pile of them.
Yummy! That's the breakfast menu sorted for today.
:ok:

Krystal n chips
11th Apr 2005, 09:54
Blacksheep----certainly not !!!-----I always maintained my culinary dignity when compelled to eat the things !;) ---and for flowman--your dead ok !:D ;) ---I do NOT need such a graphic account of what I am denied--and at such an early time of the day as well-which only makes matters worse--are you and Turn related at all I wonder ??:ok: :D ---

yintsinmerite
11th Apr 2005, 10:18
Duchy Original to an absolute governor Oatcake flavoured withcracked black peppercorns. They bring out the flavour of cheese like you would not believe !!