PDA

View Full Version : Irish Students/Pilots

too_sleepy
7th Apr 2005, 10:38
Hi

Alright, this is a duplicate post but a few of us Irish student pilots really need some help.

If anyone knows of a pilot who they think might have started commercial training in Ireland then headed to a UK CAA school for the rest of their training plesae let us know.

We're not looking for this information so we can gloat over a pint that we know something other students don't.
A particular road was chosen by us without having all the information, we don't want to make the same mistake again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again I’m pleading with the PPRune gurus to throw some light on a very ambiguous piece of legislation.

This is an old issue, if you start your commercial training in one state can you complete it in another.

I’m sitting my ATPL exams in Ireland, under the authority of the IAA (Irish Aviation Authority). This is the start of my commercial training.
Bristol is kindly providing the material for the course and a local operator is providing the review period. Ireland is a full member of the JAA so these are JAA exams that I’m sitting.

Once my exams are over I should continue to train in Ireland at one of our prestigious schools and hopefully obtain my commercial license.
This is what I don’t want to do, I want to do a runner to a UK CAA school and complete my Commercial, Multi and IR in one go.

Now the rules say the following ‘In circumstances agreed by both Authorities, an applicant who has commenced training under the responsibility of one Authority may be permitted to complete the requirements under the responsibility of the other Authority.’

It seems that they’re not talking about an existing agreement between two states, rather it’s an agreement on a case by case basis.
It looks like I need to apply to each state and ask permission for my ATPL exams to be accepted in the UK. I’ve been informed that it’s not a problem for the UK CAA. The problem seems to be getting the IAA to agree to this.

Has anyone first hand experience with applying to the IAA for this? I don’t want to start a discussion about where is best for training, why the Irish weather is great for IR, why I should be supporting the local flight training industry, I really need to hear from anyone that has any experience with this process. I need to know under what circumstances the IAA will allow this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

willby
7th Apr 2005, 11:02
Hi Too_Sleepy,
Unfortunately I think you will find it difficult to get a clear cut answer here to your query. Your best bet is to contact both authorities with your proposed training plans and make sure you have any agreement to accept them, if forthcoming, in writing.
There has been a good understanding between the IAA and CAA in the past but I believe things have tightened up with the IAA in more recent times with the availability of commercial training available in Ireland. Sorry I dont have any first hand experience myself.
Regards
Willby