PDA

View Full Version : Zoom Airlines

FFP
7th Apr 2005, 08:49
Anyone know the position of Zoom with regards to hiring pilots ? Are they taking anyone, laying people off or just have a stack of application forms already ?

Just curious . .. . . :ok:

Capt. Cockamaymee
8th Apr 2005, 18:13
I believe that Zoom just finished hiring for the summer. They have never layed off anyone in the 3 years of operation. The next round of hiring will likely be in the fall for aircraft #4. I am sure that there is a large stack of resumes on file (many from Jetsgo), however I think an internal reference is required. I hope this helps.

FFP
8th Apr 2005, 19:39
Thanks for that.

I understand that Westjet is internal reference as well.

Doesn't bode well for a guy like me in the UK . .. . :sad:

Capt. Cockamaymee
8th Apr 2005, 21:43
unfortunately no it doen't seem like it, unless you have Cdn citizenship.

FFP
9th Apr 2005, 09:06
I'm married to a Canadian so it shouldn't be a problem in that sense. It's just getting that internal reference . . . . . .

Got plenty of contacts in the UK if anyone wants to swap :p

CaptW5
9th Apr 2005, 18:15
WestJet has hired plenty of people without an internal reference.

Inuksuk
17th Apr 2005, 12:40
Don't Zoom use Excel Airways crews...?

Link to TC below.

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/decisions/2005/A/122-A-2005_e.html

brucelee
17th Apr 2005, 14:38
Excel on contract for Zoom to fly to the Carib. Aircraft and crews from Excel. Not sure how long the contract is for. Zoom is a great outfit or so I'm told by a buddy who works there. Salary is no where near what it should be for that equipment but then again these days it doesn't seem to matter anymore. Sad.

Inuksuk
17th Apr 2005, 19:23
Yup Brucelee, heard the cash comp @ Zoom is not up to where it should be, and the per diem is atrocious.

Things not good in our cousins over in Europe either - e.g. BMI being threatened by strike action over their miserly pay-rise and Michael Bishop's comment about flight deck crews (I'll paraphrase - accurately) - being available to "pick off trees " or "ten a penny". doesn't augur well...

Sadly, that attitude seems to be the norm these days in a good number of outfits...

6feetunder
18th Apr 2005, 14:41
At the risk of asking a stupid question, anyone know the callsign for Zoom? I haven't heard Zoom on the air so I thought maybe it was something else.

Thanks

brucelee
18th Apr 2005, 16:03
The call sign for Zoom is, believe it or not,"ZOOM". Depending on where you fly most you may not hear them too much. They mainly do YYZ-Britain and YYZ,YOW - Carib.

Inuksuk.
As I see it, there are too many pilots who are qualified enough to get jobs at the airline level. The LOWCOST virous hasn't helped and add to that the willingness to buy a type rating on the part of some our fellow airmen and there you have it - the demise of the airline pilot profession. Even non aviation people think we should be getting payed like bus drivers. Sooner or later something has give or we WILL end up like bus drivers.

doo
18th Apr 2005, 23:03
So bmi going on strike? news to me as we settled@ the end of 04, bmi may not pay the best in the EU but still a heck of a lot better than Canada's newer entrants.

6feetunder
19th Apr 2005, 06:05
Thanks.

I have been flying Europe to Carib. for the last while but haven't heard them.

Inuksuk
19th Apr 2005, 15:17
sorry doo - got the word from one of my acquaintances in Speedbird land...should have checked, although I think Michael Bishop's quotes are probably on the nail.

Agreed brucelee.

As an aside, Toronto Transit Commission bus driver, 3 years service, and this does not include overtime - $24.00 or so an hour. They reckon average earnings could be around $65-70k per annum. Compare that to Zoom...

Do TTC bus drivers pay for the ratings on street cars should they convert ??:yuk: :yuk:

brucelee
19th Apr 2005, 15:33
No medicals, sim rides, annual recurrant training etc. and a stronger union than I'll ever have at the airline. Man, I should apply for a job at TTC.

Baffin Boeing Boy
19th Apr 2005, 18:56
Zoom F/O start at 50K, which is more than comfortable to live in Ottawa.

No pay for training. Given 2 weeks vacation the day u start. approachable management, ETC ETC

Everyone I've talked to that works there (not just flight ops either) are really happy. Zoom provides a very comfortable and positive work environment.

Personally, I'd take a slightly lower pay to be treated like a human being.

Money ain't everything.

my $0.02
BBB

brucelee
19th Apr 2005, 19:28
"Personally, I'd take a slightly lower pay to be treated like a human being.

Money ain't everything."

Baffin Boy. Major air carriers the world over pay twice that salary and is considered the global standard. By accepting the lower pay you are not being treated like a human being. But then again being one of the Baffin gang, you're probably use to this and accept it. This is the same management that's trying to diminish your profession. It is exactly your mentality that will someday make us all no different than the city bus drivers. I have nothing against capitalism and the need for profit, but not on the backs of the pilots. The owners of Zoom live in Ottawa's richest neighbourhood known as Rockliffe Park. They will do quite well with or without their little toy called Zoom. You on the otherhand would continue to try live on $50k/yr in YOW? Good luck! I know, I happen to live there and can tell you it won't get you much. This profession is going down the drain. It's up to us to accept it or fight it.

doo
20th Apr 2005, 12:18
Not a problem Inuksuk, as for the quote theat one has been around about as long as I have been at bmi, 15 yrs. and it was atributted to another director who's son is now a bmi Capt. Whether or not it is true or just from the rumour mill is anyones guess. Now the former CEO (fired?) did make anti pilot remarkes in the press. The bottom line is the Canadian industry is in poor shape all around and certainly one of the lowest paying ,but each to his own, I sometimes thing that the life of an ex pat is worth trading for home territory.

Mikey21
21st Apr 2005, 01:54
Very true, too many dudes that would work for free.
Even on a 67, pretty sad to see.
Pay at Zoom right seat is garbage, a prop pilot make more money.

too many monkeys work for nothing or pay to work and them they are the first one to cry, that the industry is a disaster.
Look at yourself in the miror.

You should live in timmis and commute, then u can ask for 20 000/year, sure u could live ont that.

Oh man I need another beer.
We need more company like Jestgo, that way we can all bend over together.
I am glad I have another trade. Makes me mad to hear that can of nonsense.

FlyinLow
30th Apr 2005, 05:40
haha,

but you have to ask yourself whats more fun, driving a streetcar or flying an airplane.

to me given the opportunity, I would fly for free. but wait I ain't a CP yet.