PDA

View Full Version : DHL 757 Engine fire/failure @ CPH

Mr.T
7th Apr 2005, 06:50
Last night about midnight, a B 757 from DHL had what it seemed to me, a serious engine failure/fire. Flames were sticking out like a tail along the whole fuselage. (Of course from the engine).

This happened right after takeoff from 22L

I was sitting in my livingroom when there was a bright light and a strange sound like a chopper.

I ran out and watched it closer.

It seemed like after about 500' in the air the fire where destingushed.

Talked to one of the neighbours, and he was listening to a scanner, he called out Mayday, Mayday and wanted to return to EKCH. "They also mentioned Bird strike"??

I then watched him do a circle and it seemed like he first tried to go to rnw. 12, but changed his mind and went to 22L instead, but ivershut the senterline or was to close again so he made a 270 to re-enter the centerline.

Landed safely thank good!!

Good job fellows,

Regards, Mr. T (Just a small twin engine driver)

Flip Flop Flyer
7th Apr 2005, 11:05
Took a bird through No 1. at V1 which started a fire. Handles pulled, QRH followed. Went out over the water to get a feel for the thing and give airport Fire and Rescue time to get ready. Made a single engine textbook landing on 22L and taxied to stand under own power following inspection by F&R.

And since it's not overtly clear from the above poster, incident happened in CPH - where only a couple of days previously an A300 took a bird (probably a decent sized seagull) right on the nose, penetrating the radome and messing up the radar assy - blood, gore and feathers everywhere. That one happened at 6000ft doing 210ish knots clean on the approach over Öresund.

One wonders why the CPH birds are not sound asleep at night ;)

hobie
7th Apr 2005, 11:16
EKCH = CPH Kobenhavn (Copenhagen) [Kastrup] Denmark

;)

Mr.T
7th Apr 2005, 14:17
One would almost bealive that birds at CPH like to sleep on the rnw. or realy nearby.

From were I live, aprox. 500 meters away from end of 22L, I have observed them flying around midnight, thought they were asleep after dark.

There have been many times were we have had a nearby miss. out of CPH.

Anyway Bird Control are doing a great job, without them, there would be many more strikes!!

Have also heard about rabbits beeing sucked in to engine's at CPH, but without having any "true storys to tell".

Thank good we don't have any deers or elephants around the airport ;-))

Maude Charlee
8th Apr 2005, 08:44
Maybe it was a carrier pigeon taking a leaf out of the mail freighters' books and doing it's funky thing at night. ;)

Nice to know all OK.

VH-Cheer Up
8th Apr 2005, 10:04
Just getting in before the RSPB or RSPCA, any news on the bird?

Seloco
8th Apr 2005, 12:24
VH-Cheer Up,

I have it on good authority that the bird made a safe landing on 22L, 22R, 12, 04L and 04R.

Flip Flop Flyer
8th Apr 2005, 13:24
You forgot 30 ;)

Actually saw the sorry remains of the seagull that played chicken with LW - not a pretty sight. Caught the skipper on the way out with a "there you are, bird murderer!" which he took in his stride :E

Ignition Override
9th Apr 2005, 04:06
The crew did a fine job.

As for birds, a large flock of starlings (very small birds?) went into all four Allison engines of an Eastern Airlines Lockhhed Electra turboprop many years ago above Boston harbor. They seem to have caused all four engines to quickly fail-there were no survivors (:() .

And those Allisons have air intakes which are very much smaller than on any turbofan (modern jet) engine; also used by the Convair 580, C-130 and Grumman (Navy) C-2 and E-2 'Hawkeye', and of course the P-3.

Daysleeper
10th Apr 2005, 12:59
large flock of starlings (very small birds?) went into all four Allison engines of an Eastern Airlines Lockhhed Electra turboprop many years ago above Boston harbor. They seem to have caused all four engines to quickly fail-there were no survivors () .

I think your talking about N5533 on 4oct 1960. It hit between 75 and 100 starlings. The no 1 took at least 4 birds and autofeathered, no 2 took about 6 and failed and no 4 was damaged. The aircraft was below Vmca for 2 eng out which depending on bank angle can range from 125 - 154 knots. The only way to recover the aircraft would have been to close the power lever on one of the starboard engines however with only 12 seconds or so avaliable the crew were faced with an impossible challange. There were 10 survivors out of 67 pax and 5 crew.

Ranger 1
10th Apr 2005, 22:34
Looks like the safeguarding at CPH needs looking into, birds flying about at night is Bad news.
Any idea what sort of land surrounds the place? Wet land, ponds Lakes, Foerestry?
Its ok in having a bird control unit, but if the whole enviroment is not taken into the scheme of things they are on a looser:ugh:

RatherBeFlying
11th Apr 2005, 00:12
Once had a birdstrike at 5000' over CYSB at 3:30 am.

Hard to know what the bird control folks can do about that.

Ranger 1
11th Apr 2005, 09:22
RatherBeFlying; there is not a lot the Bird Control unit at an airfiled can do about that one, but reports on this type of strike are useful in finding out about migrating bird flight lines through airspace as has been done in the Middle East where Large birds such as Cranes & Buzzards fly through airspace at certain levels.
The authorites here have issued warnings,where these birds may be encountered & when.
We have a Bird circle around the airport where I work that extends out to 13km as is the case with other licencesed UK airports, & we are supposed to know the potential hazards within that Circle & hazardous flight lines of birds to & from certain sites such as Lakes & Landfill sites, in relation to our airspace, therefore its always useful to know whats been struck, as this information can improve flight safety. :ok:

Bomber Harris
11th Apr 2005, 10:07
RatherBeFlying......the answer is easy, we need to have all birds fitted with Modes S transponders, TCAS, TAWS, 8.33Khz spacing and, of course, FM immune radios. This stopped the weekly carnage of GA aircraft having midair collicions with airliners which as you know was going on at an average of one per week for the last 30 years.

In fact, like the authorities did to GA, why don't we make the birds pay for it all themselves. If they don't have any money then they can deliver mail, or something, until they have worked up enough dosh. We can give them an exemption to operate without required equipment until they can afford it.
(Exemption = i'll contradict myself by allowing you to do what I just told you was unsafe because I can generate more money for the industry like that, but we still need the rule for those who can afford it)

Sootikin
11th Apr 2005, 11:26
Surely the answer to Bird Strike Risk is easy.

Lets gets rid of these modern, quiet, low-emissions engines. Go back to Speys, Olympuses and JT9's.

Scare the birds off high volume screeching engines, and for any deaf ones who get close to aircraft and airports....poison them with clouds of smoke and Nox.

Break out the HS Tridents !

Longtimer
11th Apr 2005, 21:12
CYVR seems to have a good program for dealing with birds but....

http://www.yvr.ca/authority/facts/wildlife_management.asp (CYVR Bird Report)

wheelbarrow
12th Apr 2005, 17:15
Belgian or G regd 757?

And which one was it if anyone knows?

JW411
12th Apr 2005, 17:50
Why on earth does it matter whether the DHL 757 was registered in UK or Belgium?

It might however interest you to know that the bird was registered in Uzbekhistan and was on route to the Galapagos Islands (which I believe come under the Chilean register).

Mr Angry from Purley
12th Apr 2005, 21:02
Wheelbarrow

G Reg
Captains second sector after Command Line Check!:)

wheelbarrow
12th Apr 2005, 23:35
JW411,

It interests me because I used to fly the G regd DHL 757's until last year.

Mr Angry from Purley,

Thanks for the info. Missing life in EMA rather a lot. Still probably the best move for me to leave though seeing as I was low hours and near the top of the DHK FO seniority list.

Hope all is well with you in your office opposite my old locker!