PDA

View Full Version : Bras

Atlas Shrugged
7th Apr 2005, 01:25
I often see young ladies wearing bras that don't have shouder straps but seem to fasten half way down in the back.
What keeps them up in the front......:confused:

16 blades
7th Apr 2005, 01:30
Sticky rubbery gel stuff, I think. Like you get on holdups.

16B

ehwatezedoing
7th Apr 2005, 01:31
Or the positive side of the force young pallawan!

tinpis
7th Apr 2005, 02:03
Tins edjamacation this morning included a graffic description of a Lavender IPEX

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/boobies5.gif

Onan the Clumsy
7th Apr 2005, 02:26
What gets me is those women who don't adjust them properly. They go around with the strap almost at the base of their neck, or else the cups are too small and they look like they have four breasts. I know a proper bra fitting is almost a thing of the past, but there are still a few women in Dallas that'll do it. After all if you're going to pay up to fifty bucks for one, you should at least get one that fits properly.

...erm I mean I expect so... :O

aged
7th Apr 2005, 02:53
"....I often see young ladies wearing bras .............What keeps them up in the front......"

I think you're onto somthing with the word "young"

Later in life civil engineering has to come into play and more complex support is required, sometimes called the illusion factor - when all is removed gravity takes over in a sometimes alarming fashion.

Lost_luggage34
7th Apr 2005, 02:57
I would tend to agree with Onan on this.

A properly fitted bra can do wonders for a lady both in terms of comfort and appearance.

Sadly, I suspect many outlets do not even offer a basic measuring service these days.

How on earth can one purchase something to fit a certain size when the dimensions are unknown ?

allan907
7th Apr 2005, 03:43
I can see a business opportunity for me here. The median measure will be SBH (Standard British Handful) with gradings up or down from that.

Good job I have standard British hands (and a DOM Diploma (Dirty Old Man))!

Blacksheep
7th Apr 2005, 05:46
Never mind all that measurement nonsense. Where exactly do you get to see all these young ladies in their strapless bras, Atlas?

Sounds like you've found the ideal job. :ouch:

Atlas Shrugged
7th Apr 2005, 06:01
Unfortunately not.... I just happened to be walking down Pitt Street this morning when I noticed how many different types there were.

Some were light and almost transparent, others were of a heavy construction and some were so rigid that I imagine they contained more steel than BHP! Some had criss-cross type arrangements at the back which joined over each shoulder and tended to flatten things out in the front and others had lacy trimmings and thin straps which didn't seem to offer any support at all. Some were too big and everything moved about and some were way too small and everything either hung out the bottom or spilled over the top. Some had half cups and some had cups that went most of the way up to the shoulder. I never really thought about it before...

A

Loose rivets
7th Apr 2005, 06:10
Ah, memories, memories.

The ‘month in Malta' duty was such a drudge. Cyprus twice a week and then nothing but bloody luxury.

St Paul's bay, when there were just a few houses on the waterfront. A Ski school, if I remember correctly, hired out sailing boats, and I was more than a little pleased when a busty beauty climbed aboard with me.

It was a fairly frisky day....the wind!, the WIND...strength 4 at least., and she, not wishing to leave sun tan marks, undid ALL the straps to her bikini top. I sailed on and on, and they stayed on and on, despite the increasing wind.

They sent a speedboat after us when I reached the Med.

Not out there anywhere are you love? :E

Whirlygig
7th Apr 2005, 07:38
The trouble with the Standard British Handful (apart rom it being Imperial rather than Metric), is that it takes no account of the back part of the measurement; only the cup size. So, there would have to be a metrological standard for thorax circumference.

Onan, you are absolutely right about being measured properly. I had myself "done" many years ago at Rigby & Peller (corsetier to The Queen), so know what a well-fitting bra should be like. I recently had myself done at a well-known high street shop (where most Brits buy their undies) and was told I needed to have a larger back size (i.e. this is when it rides up the shoulder blades) and a smaller cup (i.e. ending up with Picasso Breasts).

As for the strapless chaps? Yes, they have a sticky plasticky stuff instead which is not at all pleasant on a hot day.

Cheers

Whirlygig

tall and tasty
7th Apr 2005, 09:38
They have also bought out invisible straps for those who are worried about the straples ones not staying put. To be honest they can start slipping.

But it is important as Whirly said to get measured properly as cutting straps on the shoulders and across the back is just as bad for you as an ill fitting front.

It is better to have a well toned area and not wear anything except the outer garment.

But I know not everyone can do that :O

TnT :p

Blacksheep
7th Apr 2005, 10:18
Ah you mean the wibble-wibble walk, TnT. I notice that quite a few men do that thses days. Time for a male wonderbra methinks... :E

Onan the Clumsy
7th Apr 2005, 13:14
That would be "The Bro" :ok:

Kolibear
7th Apr 2005, 15:17
Apparently, so I've been told, the force keeps a strapless bra up is called 'Faith'.

Its a constant battle between the power of faith and the power of gravity. And we know which is the stronger ...... ;)

goates
7th Apr 2005, 15:30
Here's an interesting job for you.

http://www.autospeed.com/A_1260/cms/article.html

Probably the only way most engineers will get to see one up close... :8 :}

goates

PS - This is based on watching fellow classmates in university.

Paterbrat
7th Apr 2005, 17:45
Memories indeed, like Atlas Shrugged I was out walking once... on a first trip out of Saudi after some months of involuntary abstinance from the sight and sound of the female form. The trip was to Nice. Having checked into the Meridian, changed swiftly to enjoy a swift constitutional parambulation along the Promenade du Anglais I returned rather the worse for wear having suffered numerous contusions scrapes and collisions with lamp posts benches rubbish bins and various unlucky pedestrians. The cause alas was not so much bras as the lack of. Despite the injuries I smiled dreamily all the way to the bar to assuage the second most pressing need of the day.

As for large bras I remember as a flight instructor in BATC in Miami many years ago a student by the evocative name of Lilly Van Heck. Never was a monicker more apt. She was a statuesque fiery red head with the most enormous set of Bristols ( natural ) it has yet been my pleasure to clap eyes upon. The bra to support these wonders of nature was an engineering marvel involving some pretty intricate stitching gusseting and flexible steel inserts. It did it's job, she was sensational, and fitting into the 150 a lesson in itself. The temperature in Florida which by itself brought out a sweat, combined with the inadequate Cessna ventilation, and close proximity garanteed every lesson was a wet T shirt competition with two winners every time.:)

SmilingKnifed
7th Apr 2005, 17:46
Blacksheep, the female wonderbra's bad enough. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but wearers should be required to carry some sort of mark so as to tell people that all is not at as it seems and that that lovely cleavage could in fact be relocated back fat!

Apologies to any wonderbra wearers:ouch:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Apr 2005, 20:41
Productionising the design?

Producing, surely....:confused:

ShyTorque
7th Apr 2005, 21:04
BRAs?

I originally thought this topic was about classic cars, British Racing Automobiles!

I now feel a bit of a t!t.

Try this website:

http://www.feta.co.uk/bra/

If that leaves you cold, try this more technical one:

http://www.invention.com/brown4.htm

ferrydude
7th Apr 2005, 23:10
Howard Hughes must be spinning in his grave!

M_JosephA320
8th Apr 2005, 03:30
SBH that is a laugh, i was told that they should never be bigger than a mouthful, but then I have a big mouth (38D)