PDA

View Full Version : virgin Nigeria

DEE-DUCK
6th Apr 2005, 04:21
Anyone out there have any details on the conditions? Also are they looking from experienced Captains as well?

:ok:

RAT 5
14th Apr 2005, 20:30
I read this was a long & short-haul operation. Type conversion would be given, but does anyone know what types?

As per #1 question; has anyone any inside information.

I also saw an advert for B767-200 (Bellview) out of Lagos. What is going on down there? Are they trying to use up their oil.

Alloy
14th Apr 2005, 22:25
Recall reading that Virgin Nigeria would be using Virgin Atlantic's older A340s for long haul but this may have just been a rumour.

scroggs
16th Apr 2005, 10:58
A320s have been ordered for short-haul ops. Initially, at least, Virgin Atlantic's older C2-powered A340s will be used for long-haul.

AIRWAY
16th Apr 2005, 11:28
Virgin Nigeria Airbus an ex Air Luxor CS-TQE

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=1860

waffler
16th Apr 2005, 12:26
man, I would really want to be desperate to go down there:\

Lil' Pilot
16th Apr 2005, 14:22
Man, I would really love to go down there ;) ! But I guess there would be no opportunities for lowtimers :uhoh:

superpilut
17th Apr 2005, 13:00
Why, is it so good to sit in Nigeria, then?
Don't really know the place!

According to ad in Flight International:
D.E. Captain:
6000 hrs total, min 4000 in command (of which at least 2000 on passenger jet acft).

FO:
3000 hrs total on jet aircraft.
All pilots are required to have a JAA ATPL, Class one medical.
from www. virginnigeria.com (http://www. virginnigeria.com) :
"Suitably qualified applicants for the posts of Captain and First Officer should send their CV to [email protected] with details of two referees with whom we can discuss your application. The closing date for all applications is 27 April 2005."

The Big Easy
17th Apr 2005, 18:19
Scroggs

Will the Virgin Nigeria long haul ops be crewed by Virgin Atlantic or the new hire's?

TBE.

Nerik
18th Apr 2005, 10:55
It is great to see such initiatives being taken up in the African continent. Hopefully this is the first of many ventures in Africe.

My only fear would be Lagos' reputation as a dangerous city, or am I wrong?

ZAZOO
19th Apr 2005, 16:30
Lil' Pilot I think you need to check about that low time thing!!!!! call some of the local regional operators ;)

waffler we are not looking for desperados down here :ouch:

Lagos is still good old lagos after a long day of flying Nerik, either you head home to a good nights rest or meet at a local for a pint or two of Gulder with the fellas ! (NEPA helping)

:rolleyes:

I must say though! it sure is busy around here and I hope it stays that way.

We deserve it down here, especialy after all said about the Nigerian Aviation sector. I predicted this growth years ago on this Forum, we still have a lot to do to achieve any of our goals here but we will get there even at this pace.

So encourage us guys and forget about all that old Bru ha ha about Nigeria.

Like they say " Give Us A Break "

Regards

Zazoo

scroggs
19th Apr 2005, 16:55
TBE, I don't really know the answer to that question. There have been suggestions that both the US and the UK are reluctant to accept Nigerian-registered aircraft in their airspace because of the reputation of Air Nigeria, and would prefer the operation to bed down a while before they change that position. If that is true, then the A340s would presumably have to remain on the British register and be operated by Virgin Atlantic flight deck and engineering until opinions have changed. However, I have no idea if there is any truth in this and would suggest you take it with a large pinch of salt until anything is announced officially! ;)

The Big Easy
20th Apr 2005, 12:09
Scroggs,

Thanks for the reply. I had heard a similiar rumour. Still swimming in the pool and was hoping for another VS mini expansion!

TBE.

Oyindo
20th Apr 2005, 13:37
[QUOTE]There have been suggestions that both the US and the UK are reluctant to accept Nigerian-registered aircraft in their airspace because of the reputation of Air Nigeria, and would prefer the operation to bed down a while before they change that position.[/QUOTE :{

I do hope it doesn’t happen. G and N registered aircraft can also be prevented from entering Nigerian airspace; it has happened in the past. BA was prevented from operating into Nigeria for a number of years, not very long ago.
The other foreign airlines will only be too happy to take on BA and VS passengers if it does. SO, while the going is good, let’s not spoil it.
:ok:

scroggs
20th Apr 2005, 15:41
TBE, it would hardly constitute an expansion - these are aeroplanes we already operate now! They would be unlikely to be as intensively used by Virgin Nigeria, at least to start with.

Oyindo, this isn't about any tit-for-tat protectionism. Air Nigeria had some very dodgy engineering and operation practises towards its end, and, as I understand it, lost their approval to fly to and over the UK and US (and maybe all other ICAO countries, for all I know). Before Nigerian-registered aircraft are allowed to operate internationally again, the airline and the Nigerian authorities will have to show that such practises will not recur. Hence, a period of successful, safe domestic operation is likely to be necessary before other countries accept that those particular demons have been slaughtered.

Had the Nigerian authorities had any argument with the treatment of Air Nigeria, any retaliation they might have attempted would have happened at the time. BA and Virgin have been operating to Nigeria continuously since (and before) the Air Nigeria problems, and there is no reason to suspect that that will change. Remember, Virgin Nigeria is happening at the request of the Nigerian government..

ZAZOO
10th May 2005, 12:33
Hi guys,

Just the latest info concerning Virgin Nigeria.

The 2nd aircraft A320 LZ-BHB is due to arrive in LOS in the next few days, I gather its been in Sofia.

From the news going round in Lagos looks like there is a lot of anticipation that VN may launch international flights earlier than anticipated, this I heard from another prunner was announced by VN themselves.

Any idea who the crew on the A320 are and their background with VIRGIN.

Regards

Zazoo