View Full Version : Math Test 2nd Interview

point85
6th Apr 2005, 03:44
Hello There:

I am trying to find out any info regarding the new Math Test which is part of the assesment in HKG 2nd Interviw. Any info would be helpful...

Thanks much... and good luck to all.

point85
18th Apr 2005, 21:32
Okay nerver mind! I found out for myself... that Math Test was absolutely brutal.... Good Luck to the rest of you!

bell1st
19th Apr 2005, 02:53
OK, so what did you find out?

Canadian Beech
19th Apr 2005, 03:16
If memory serves...
You can't really prep for this one...
it's all written math questions (you make up a formula, solve it), there are are 16 answers for each Q! So you can't just pick c all the way down the list, 10 sec before end time.
Not really sure what they're looking for... (it's obvious you can't finish them all) we (the 3 of us in the room) averaged 16-18 of them answered in the time.
Good luck!

bell1st
19th Apr 2005, 03:23
Any other surprises on the 2nd interview? I go at the end of May.

VintageRed
19th Apr 2005, 09:50
I was unaware that there was math test in the second interview!? Any info about it would be greatly appreciated. I was under the assumption there was the personality quiz, group ex, medical, sim, and interview, not to mention cocktail party.

Flaps10
20th Apr 2005, 01:27
The Math Test is new. I think we were the second group to have to take it. It's taken at the same time as the computerized physch eval.

30 mins, 32 questions. Just like Beech, I only got through about half. I know I spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what the question was asking?

Hard Hard Hard.

I don't think you can prepare for this. If you do a search on the net for GMA (General Math Aptitude I THINK). Anyway you may find some sample exams or questions. But I'm sure non are the same as on the test so it won't help much except maybe give you an idea of what they are looking for.

Hope this helps...

bigjim1983
20th Apr 2005, 10:30
Are you guys talking about the Maths Test in 2nd Stage for Cadet Pilot?

I am just able to finish all without blind guessing. There are 32 questions, and there is a new graph and set of information for every other 3 questions.

Act quick and 1 or 2 sets of questions in the middle are rather difficult while those in the end aren't. You may skip those and come back later

Good luck

betaboy
23rd Apr 2005, 21:08
Sorry guys, there is definitely now a numerical profficiency test for the DE Second Officer 2nd interview. It is brutal!

rjmore
23rd Apr 2005, 22:07
What type of questions are on the test?

AHP-TWAMaddog
24th Apr 2005, 00:47
Is this test only for DESO or for DEFO also? Where is the best way to brush up on math once learned but never used again.

Tailwinds

betaboy
24th Apr 2005, 04:36
I recall something like:

"There are 1.15 Iranian Dinars to 1.5 British Pounds. A British Pound will buy you 2.15 Russian Rubbles."

"If you had 15,000 Dinars, how many Pounds would you have with the remainder in Rubbles?"

Plus two other questions on this theme, repeated 11 times with other themes, for a total of 33 questions. Each question is multiple choice with 16 possible answers given per question.

That sort of thing.

As the posters above, I managed to find an answer for just about half the questions on the test.

Good luck!

point85
24th Apr 2005, 21:26
Like I mentioned earlier it is absoultly mad crazy.... the math test!

This test is now part of the Cadet Hiring Program, DESO Program and the DEFO program.

All I can say is brush up on your Times Tables, Long Division, and know how to form Algebric Equations.

If one had at least an hour to go through the test I'd say most people would do okay.... but you just don't have time... By the time you figure out what the hell the question is asking you... you run out of time... and it's had to guess the answer when there are 16 choices!

It is the toughest part of the whole interveiw process.... Good Luck.

:( :(

Even though the math test was hard and no body finished it... 4 out of 8 guys in our group got on with Cathay and 2 are pending medical.

It was a great bunch of guys in our group... All Canadian!:O

neilb767
28th Apr 2005, 06:31
Hey Guys,

Do they let you use a calculator for the math test?

What was the rest of the interview like, do we need to brush up on all the technical stuff also?...any examples..

Got the 2nd kick at the can in late May, any and all help wold be appreciated.

Cheers

RB211-524G
4th May 2005, 21:06
no one has answered and i would really like to know from someone who has done the new math test -
1) are you allowed to use a calculator?
2) any idea how heavily weighted this exam is?
Am I naive to think that CX couldn't possibly spend the time, effort, money, to send you to Hong Kong and then wash you out because of a math quiz.
thanks
:ok:

Flaps10
4th May 2005, 23:21
Hey There...

Nope, no calculators allowed. Just a piece of paper, pencil, and your noggin. I guess you could use your fingers to count! ;)

Not sure how much weight they put on it. We all thought that it couldn't be worth that much and some said that the group before us that were the first to do the test were told that Cathay is just trying it out and that no weight is really put on it. Now, if you can't do basic arithmatic then that might be a problem.

So how knows. It's all a crapshoot. Give it your best. Might be wise to brush up on ratios, fractions, and basic algebra as well.

Good Luck

Medwin
6th May 2005, 10:21
Time to hit the panic button. :} :}