PDA

View Full Version : Man admits to grenade in luggage

davethelimey
5th Apr 2005, 11:59
A man who flew to the UK intending to be a suicide bomber has admitted carrying a hand grenade in his luggage.
Hazil Rahaman-Alan, 37, had boarded a British Airways jet with 125 passengers in Caracas and his case containing the grenade went to Gatwick in the hold.

He pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to having a high explosive hand grenade with intent to endanger life in the UK.

Venezuelan Rahaman-Alan was arrested when the grenade was found during a routine search on 13 February, 2003.

The find closed the North Terminal at Gatwick and 40 flight departures were delayed.

Rahaman-Alan was questioned by anti-terrorist officers and charged under the Terrorism Act.

He told police he wanted to blow himself up in an open area to draw attention to the plight of others.

The charges were later changed to offences under the Explosives Act and the Aviation Act.

Forgive the question, but how on earth can you get a grenade into the hold of a BA plane anywhere on the planet?

HotDog
5th Apr 2005, 12:29
Obviously cheked luggage is not X-rayed in Caracas prior to loading.

El Grifo
5th Apr 2005, 12:31
I notice his name was not something like, Juan Rodriguez Rodriguez, or Tokoyami Sushi, or Hank Wayne or Nigel Ponsonby or something like that.

An amazing coincidence I suppose.

:suspect: :{ :suspect:

MarkD
5th Apr 2005, 13:18
This could be one of the reasons BA no longer serves Caracas and Bogota...

Avman
5th Apr 2005, 13:26
I think that, in his case, the term "suicide bomber" is not what we now generally identify with. It looks as if he only intended to kill himself. Not to be condoned, but not quite an act of terrorism either - if you see my point.

M.Mouse
5th Apr 2005, 13:31
Obviously cheked luggage is not X-rayed in Caracas prior to loading.

Wrong.

This could be one of the reasons BA no longer serves Caracas and Bogota...

Wrong.