PDA

View Full Version : First flying lesson today...

Ullevi
5th Apr 2005, 09:15
Any advice for a slightly nervous RAF wannabe?

It's in a cessna by the way, and a fine day for it as well :ok:

kippermate
5th Apr 2005, 09:18
Look out the window. And enjoy it. It's magic!

Have fun.

:ok:

kipper

diginagain
5th Apr 2005, 09:18
Enjoy it. It's the sort of life-defining moment you'll always remember.

And try to relax!

StopStart
5th Apr 2005, 09:49
Touch nothing!!!!

;)

Enjoy :D :D

rivetjoint
5th Apr 2005, 11:15
As I think I read on here a while back....there are more aircraft in the sea than there are submarines in the sky.

BootFlap
5th Apr 2005, 11:21
Good on you. It has been a long time since my first flight, but by God I remember it! Enjoy every minute of it, I wish you all the luck with your future flying.

Bismark
5th Apr 2005, 13:12
Ullevi,

Why join the RAF? Fly Navy - challenge yourself!

BEagle
5th Apr 2005, 13:52
Have fun - the only problem will be getting the grin off your face for the next few years!

You'll soon realise that people who merely live on the ground are lesser beings!

buoy15
5th Apr 2005, 14:54
Don't flap

Let the aeroplane fly - you just correct it !

As you might do with a 4x4 on a country road, unless you're an absolute tosser, who is speeding, then expect the worst.

Enjoy the thrlll of getting airborne

Ullevi
5th Apr 2005, 16:58
Thanks boys- had a superb time :}

Although there were times when i was quite nervous and tense, is this natural? I should be able to afford a couple of more flights so i will hopefully be able to get used to it before applying.

Have to say though it didnt dissapoint and will certainly motivate me to do everything i can to get into the RAF :ok:

cheers.

PhilM
5th Apr 2005, 17:04
How old are you mate?

If your young (under 18) consider joining your local ATC unit, you should get a few powered flights (AEF) and gliding, aswell as loads of other activities (anual camps on RAF stations etc), should keep you interested in joining, and looks good for you when its time to visit AFCO.

www.aircadets.org :ok:

N Arslow
5th Apr 2005, 17:34
Ah - sweet memories! That first flight!
Luckily enough it was also with a hot (to my young eyes) looking flying instructress.
I agree with earlier posts.
Fly Navy but go Crab cadets and get the AEF flying experience!
I happily flew a whole load of cadets when flying for an AEF many years after that first flight at the same airfield.
Doubt any of those guys and girls will be saying I was hot though...

MightyGem
5th Apr 2005, 20:25
Once you have tasted flight
You will walk with your eyes turned skyward
For there you have been
And you long to return

Welcome to the club!

16 blades
5th Apr 2005, 20:38
Why join the Royal Naval Flying club with it's 'formidable' array of sod-all aircraft when you can join a professional aviation organisation with loads of aircraft and loads of choice?

Come and join 'The Few' - Her Majesty's Finest!

16B

The Rocket
5th Apr 2005, 23:01
16B

Spot on old chap, Ding Dong.;)

Remember my first flight well. Got to hold the controls (Very stiffly, and touching nothing else!) of a pleasure flight at the tender age of 11. And the rest, as they say, is history:ok:

passpartout
5th Apr 2005, 23:05
Keep going, there's nothing to beat it.
Look out the window towards the horizon and admire the view.

'Cos in 5 years' time, when you're at 100ft and 600kt, the horizon is a lot closer:ok:

teeteringhead
6th Apr 2005, 08:34
Mmmmmm first flight hands on! Congratulations - if you have got the Right Stuff you'll never be cured - thank heavens.

I can remember my first AEF flight - Manston, mid 60s, Chipmunk -[Hell's Bells, that's 40 years ago - must have only been 4 or 5 :rolleyes: ]

Given control and pilot says: "Hold it gently, like a virgin holding her first pr!ck" .. a line I subsequently used many times on my own students - flying students you dirty b*ggers.

And that was it - hooked for life - still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

Zoom
6th Apr 2005, 17:27
Hope you enjoyed it, young aviator. I remember bowling up at XXXXX Airport on a Sunday after lunch in my school jacket and tie to begin my month-long PPL course courtesy of the RAF. I said to the CFI, 'When do I start flying?', expecting him to tell me about the weeks to be spent in ground school learning about the aircraft, aerodynamics, the weather, map reading, blah blah, before actually getting into the air. He pointed at a Piper Colt and said, 'That one will be ready at 2 o'clock'. And off we went. Wondrous! I never looked back. I never learned my checks, either! What a joint.

jindabyne
6th Apr 2005, 21:50
ullevi

On my first trip in a Chippy far far too many decades ago, I threw my guts up, and pondered on the experience. Thereafter, I frequently threw up through RAF pilot training - eventually things wore off and I flew my balls off. Per Ardua ----