PDA

View Full Version : Definition of an O/T Ban, Alaea style

Turbo 5B
5th Apr 2005, 07:42
The 4 april marked a big day in the history of the ALAEA at Qantas.O/T bans to force the point of a crap wage rise.
BUT.... when is an O/T ban not an O/T ban? When any one can work O/T at SIT if qantas rearranges the work schedule to put all the overtimers onto customer aircraft and thus bypass the bans, and heavy maintenance snr lames still do .3 handovers to save time every shift.
You'd think that an overtime ban would mean no overtime worked unless it was an emergency...wouldn't you?:confused:

Redstone
5th Apr 2005, 07:52
You've hit the nail on the head there Turbo, after reading the terms of the ban one can see that the company retains all flexability to arrange workloads, negating the "spirit" or percieved intention of the ban. One might experience a similar sensation urinating directly into a prevailing wind.

sport
5th Apr 2005, 08:27
Why are they still doing any OT.

Surely there must be an emergency at home that requires them to leave the job, I am sure your manager will understand. Your family must come before the job regardless of whether its a customer or Qantas.

Why do you engineers find it so difficult to work as a team, my collegues and I have always been able to put personnal differences behind us and present ourselves as a united body when negotiating with management.

A list of the names of those who break ranks should be posted for all to see, you never want to go into trench warfare and rely on someone who will let you down when the going gets tough.

I doubt whether this forum will allow the names to printed here but try one of the other engineering forums Airmech, Golden rivet or Glsol

United you stand divided you fall.

Sport ...... Read your PM's or email me.

Woomera

Turbo 5B
5th Apr 2005, 10:31
Because too many people are interested in their short term hip pocket instead of their long term security.

Redstone
5th Apr 2005, 12:48
It pains me to admit, but there is NO solidarity within the ranks at QF.........................

Son of Brake Boy
5th Apr 2005, 17:04
Redstone, I must disagree/correct you....there is no solidarity amongst our Executive members, not QF members.

If you said NO OVERTIME period....I bet 99% of members would abide by this direction.

Unfortunately, some Executive members are employed at International Line Stations, and limited O/T bans are seen as a way to continue overtime but still appear to active in industrial action against QF.

Pathetic I'm sure, but if you dont believe me, just call the ALAEA President for his spin on things. He gladly worked O/T on customer aircraft on Tuesday with no bother of conscience.

Not a good example given he has directed memebers in Heavy Maintenance Sydney not to do ANY O/T for 'the cause'! The word 'Hypocrite' comes to mind.

Maintain the Rage

Sunfish
5th Apr 2005, 22:00
Any of you think this is accidental?

sys 4
6th Apr 2005, 06:35
so what are we going to do, to ramp up the action

Turbo 5B
6th Apr 2005, 08:20
Well at least Heavy Maintenance Snr Lames on one shift at least have refused to work the .3 handover.
But I hear that base maint are working ot on Atlas and that SIT are working on other customer planes as they see fit.
It's time to demand a meeting of all members and ramp up the action.

fordran
6th Apr 2005, 23:52
The ALAEA Execs met this week and decided to extend bans to all the following-

-Melb Heavy maint overtime on Sundays 2200-0420
-Qantas charter flights to Canary island
-Australian Airlines related overtime for Perth DMMs
-ALL computer based DC4 refresher training
-Driver training for staff with licences expiring in more than 2 months time
-The H131 canteen
-Servicing and Maintenance on aircraft with green engine struts

The Federal President said "The extension to the bans was required to increase the pressure on the airline. We don't think it will be too long before they contact us with an offer above 2%"

sport
7th Apr 2005, 01:01
Is that an additional 2% to the 3% already in the package as reported by the Sectretary in the last "e-Torque"March Edition.

On the ALAEA industrial front tough negotiations continue. We are engaged with Qantas on a most difficult EBA and I can report that, after a number of meetings, there is little headway. Qantas is demanding significant tradeoffs and offering a mere three per cent annual pay increase in return.

I think 5% would be a good starting point, you would have to be happy with 5 +5 +5 over three years?

Turbo 5B
7th Apr 2005, 06:03
Excuse me but I must have missed something. The o/t ban was for all o/t except for customer a/c and desperate cases for overseas line stations. How do now include more stuff into that?
Is there a big list of exemptions that's not in the notices that we don't know about?

Mr Qantas
7th Apr 2005, 06:26
N
News of the day.

All leave cancelled in Line Maintenance areas!!!!!!
We are just starting

Ultralights
7th Apr 2005, 08:14
The H131 canteen

whats the story here? that place still serving up underarm temperature left over sludge from the grease traps?

MR QF, all leave cancelled? SO WHAT!!!! now no one will be working overtime, so they will get much needed time with their families anyway.

i cant remember how many letters i got, "you have too much leave. Please take some"

next week, leave application rejected.... whats new...

and that was 4 yrs ago! and no where near an EBA!

sys 4
7th Apr 2005, 08:29
MR Qantas are you just starting as a fellow lame or a company stooge,we've got as much leave as you like over in heavy

ziggy007
7th Apr 2005, 08:47
Leave cancelled? Gee they took their time with that big stick! Like when can you get leave in Line Maint anyway? Short term pain for long term gain brothers. Enjoy the time with your kids guys, its worth more than a few extra bucks anyway.
:zzz:

Turbo 5B
7th Apr 2005, 09:34
As they say ...No pain ..no gain! BRING IT ON.
Show me the money.

Son of Brake Boy
7th Apr 2005, 16:43
Thanks for the reply sys4 but post had to be modified due to current situation.

Apologies to all

Maintain the Rage.

sys 4
7th Apr 2005, 20:24
come next yr when the next elections are on there needs to be a massive push to get rid of the the currect exec in the ALAEA and elect SP as el-prisdent-o.

sport
8th Apr 2005, 00:20
Well, it would appear that he is prepared to take the blows dished out from all quarters. I would be electing someone like that and not a president that works OT when there is an OT ban on, what is wrong with that man???

Turbo 5B
8th Apr 2005, 00:49
Has any one seen the latest notices regarding the bans on the alaea website. Very cloak and dagger stuff indeed.

sys 4
8th Apr 2005, 01:18
perhaps the alaea is finally showing what twits they are.They have no idea how to run an idustrial campain or do they know the meaning of lead by example a bit like our CEO who also has no idea about leading by example(66% payrise),what hypocrits the ALAEA are, they are calling Dixon a hypocrit yet they say a and do another

Woomera
8th Apr 2005, 03:16
Merged a cuppla threads fellas eases the moderating load hope you don't mind.

If I have confused or conflated an issue please feel free to start another

fordran
8th Apr 2005, 23:02
Has any one seen the latest notices regarding the bans on the alaea website. Very cloak and dagger stuff indeed.

I can't find any notices on their website but their is one in the workplace about misinformation. We have heard that the Fed Ex have passed motion to extend bans to no higher duties. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Turbo 5B
9th Apr 2005, 01:24
Apparently there was a motion passed but the executive doesn't want anyone to know about it in case we carry it out and inconvienience the company.

fordran
10th Apr 2005, 10:58
Sounds typical.

Turbo 5B
12th Apr 2005, 05:36
I heard a rumour that AVV instead of working o/t to get an aircraft out the other day did a shift change to start at 2300hrs(getting 22% loading). Must have been the qantas employed staff that did it.
Any one heard anything?

Mr Qantas
12th Apr 2005, 08:25
So what if we using shift changes. To the credit of the alaea they have seeing enough common sense to allow this option in order to allow the bisness to continue. The members must realize where their bread is butered and if we dont get the aircraft out on time the paying pax will look for other options. I support the alaea leaders and applord the we they have found a balance between the members and the airline.

And by the way if you dont like my spelling f*(k @ff.

regitaekilthgiwt
12th Apr 2005, 10:25
Okay, read half of your post through, mmm, Mr Qf not doing too bad, then I read "bisness "and I am SORRY but I cannot take anybody seriously who doesn't know how to spell business. I asked my teacher in year 7 how to spell it and she said, “I know, English is a strange language, but ‘bisness’ is a weird word and it's spelt ‘business’, for some reason.” And there you have it (she also said it was bad to start a sentence with ‘and’...). Now you might say, grow up or 'gruw up' but at the end of the day, I did a ‘Word’ spell check on 'bisness' and it didn't even come up with anything near 'business'. The closest I came up with was briskness...you can take from that what you like. No I am not the ‘spelling police’ (although you can see I like my “inverted commas”), but if anyone in my department who was actually my leader (I am really hoping you are not a leader in any division of Qantas, let alone engineering) spelt like that, well, then we all might be stuffed. So, sorry, if I don't like your spelling, at least I haven't had a go at your argument, yes 'So what if we using shift changes' <- Sorry is this the overseas base talking? Sounds it could be (was going to add more, but decided not to...)...So I and others won’t ‘f*(k @ff about your spelling: Mr Qantas if you want to be treated as a professional in (not PPRUNE) this or any other organisation – LEARN A LANGUAGE OF SOME KIND...
Anyhow good luck to the ALAEA..or..the rest of you..or..both of you-(hopefully!)

Ultralights
12th Apr 2005, 11:15
who can read a doctors writing?

oh and keep up the fight!

sys 4
12th Apr 2005, 13:43
mr qantas the qantas TWIT is back ,are you possibly an operator over in steam clean

Sunfish
12th Apr 2005, 21:33
I suspect Mr. Qantas might be dyslexic, so cut him some slack.

Zigzag
13th Apr 2005, 09:25
I suspect Mr. Qantas might be dyslexic, so cut him some slack.

Ko! :ok:

Turbo 5B
13th Apr 2005, 15:41
Mr Qantas, eh! I've seen that dyslexia before on other sites.
Nobody could spell that bad, even if they were trying to.
On the subject of shift changes, it sounds like it must be true and whats worse it sounds like the ALAEA executive orchestrated the whole deal. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, feel free to correct me. (At least you can't censor me on this site).

Sunfish
13th Apr 2005, 20:21
When I hear from you lot about the ALEA "negotiating" with QF, the phrase "dancing with your Sister" comes to mind, as in there is nothing really going on.

sport
14th Apr 2005, 01:17
I would use the term 'Incestuous'.

NSEU
15th Apr 2005, 06:46
but if anyone in my department who was actually my leader (I am really hoping you are not a leader in any division of Qantas, let alone engineering) spelt like that, well, then we all might be stuffed.

Funny you should say that... Our manager couldn't spell if his life depended on it....and I'm certainly stuffed. After waiting two years for a decent vacation, he cancelled my leave..... two days before I was off to Hawaii (I haven't been asked to do overtime in the last two years, so I don't know why I've been targeted).

I just wonder what will happen to the aircraft I work on ... in my highly fatigued state? Add the trauma of the rumour that they are going to sack 90 LAME's in my area in the next six months, and my mind is really not going to be where it should be. Perhaps I should start filling out my worker's comp claim and ASRS forms in advance?

Rgds.
NSEU.

P.S. In his defence, his secretary probably does his spelling for him :}