PDA

View Full Version : Any DJ crew go to 'cc info' last month?

blue_stew
4th Apr 2005, 23:17
Any DJ crew attend 'unplugged' cc info with Chaps last month. Have heard two reports in two days: One is SYD base opening, taking 10% from both BNE and MEL with no SYD recruiting. The other report was no SYD base ever.

Flying Frypan
4th Apr 2005, 23:23
If the first half of the rumour is true, I think it would be easy done to send 10% from each base to SYD. Plenty of crew would jump at the chance to be home with family and friends or partners!
Anyone else heard any gossip from the unplugged sessions?

flugenluft
6th Apr 2005, 00:11
There will be a PER base a very long time before there will ever be a SYD base.

blue_stew
6th Apr 2005, 06:48
While I would much rather a PER base to a SYD base, I am very skeptical of a PER base anytime soon. DJ outsources 100% of the PER operation to Aerocare. They have relief cabin crew in place there which are Aerocare employees and can do Eastcoast returns (inlcuding the red eye) and VB pays a flat rate for that (no allowances and no overnight). Aerocare relief crew do not work under the EBA and aren't even members of the FAAA. This constitutes a HUGE savings to VB and something too good to end. Also VB has just announced the Kalgoorlie flights have been cancelled so less PER flying.

Corrigan is a Sydney boy and an ex-Macquarie Bank boy (who owns SYD a/port) so I think we may see more Sydney focus in the coming years - in all areas of the company.

Heywood Jablome
6th Apr 2005, 12:35
Blue Stew,

Just so youre aware, the Aerocare Relief Crew based out of PER DO operate under your EBA. It was copied word for word and adopted into their company's EBA. They also do get paid the same overnight allowance if the need arises for it.

wirgin blew
6th Apr 2005, 16:47
At this stage recruiting still seems to be MEL only so when they slow that down they might be looking elsewhere.
Also having bases in BNE and MEL means that there are plenty of staff only a short flight away from SYD if the need arises.
As for the rest of the country, they are allowed to use cross trained staff to do both ground crew and cc if the need arises so why have a permanent base when you can just use these multi skilled people.

blue_stew
8th Apr 2005, 00:15
There is nothing in the Cabin Crew EBA for casual flight attendants, and we get paid for duty hours, not fly hours.

jb_flyer
8th Apr 2005, 01:39
Heywood Jablome- If I am reading your post correctly, Aerocare employees cant be under the Virgin Blue EBA and their own at the same time...

Yes the wording may be identical to the current Virgin EBA, but the big thing is its on a different Agreement. This means when Virgin renegotiates the next Agreement, the Aerocare one does not have to be changed.

So the conditions may be the same, but it is a different EBA.

Sounds pedantic, but just ask the Qantas people how having 2 EBA's for short and long haul has changed the way they can participate in Industrial Action.

JB