PDA

View Full Version : Full MEP Class Rating&IR UK

genius747
4th Apr 2005, 18:46
Hello.

I have decided to complete my JAR CPL flight training at NAC. I will be doing the ATPL writtens there also.

I have (after much heart ache) decided to do all my Multi and IR training in the good aul UK airspace.

Could somebody that has gone through this module of flying here please recommend a UK FTO for the job.

I wish to complete the MEP Class and IR ratings in the one FLT TEST.

Thanks
G747

Finchy
4th Apr 2005, 22:06
Airways Flight Training (AFT) in Exeter. Cannot go wrong.

Regards

heathrow hawk
5th Apr 2005, 05:52
Have a look at the combined BCT/Aerodynamic 80 REAL time CPL/ME IR course, I completed recently and it was excellent.
You need to get Airbourne goddamit not drink cups of tea watching clouds, you'll bang out the IR in (2.5 a day) 6 weeks in Malaga 25 duchess 40 Complex single then return to U.K and sort out the 15 hr CPL in 2 weeks. just ask the present students tel 0034628753829 or speak to Matt Litten [email protected] he'll put you straight, don't watch the clouds get "goddam airbourne"

Stan Evil
5th Apr 2005, 18:38
You don't have to have a MEP class rating before doing your IRT but you must have completed the training for it. Graduates from some integrated courses used to end up with a ME IR and an SEP rating only in their licence.

I guess in theory you could do the ME Class Rating and IR on the same trip but you'd be putting yourself under a lot of pressure.

silverknapper
5th Apr 2005, 20:07
Have never heard a bad word about Airways. Wanted to go there but couldn't get dates to suit.
Both outfits at Leeds are good. You got a geographical preference?

mad_jock
5th Apr 2005, 21:57
If your already out there do the MEP training but don't sit the test.

Then do the CPL/MEP test in one shot.

I would go to LFS at leeds don't know what the current setup is like but if they still give you solo time on the sim for free its a winner.

MJ

Nice flaps
6th Apr 2005, 12:11
Did my Multi/IR with Flightpass, also at Exeter

www.flightpass.co.uk

Have experienced a number of different FTOs in my time and these guys are as good as it gets. The great thing is that there will be a maximum of two of you on the course so you get a very personalised service. The two instructors that I had were both recently retired 747-400 training captains, one with BA and one with Cathay. Suggest you check them out.
Make sure you have a good look around wherever you decide on and meet the personnel.
NF

Oooh what a greaser
6th Apr 2005, 18:03
Have to agree with you there Nice Flaps old sport!!

I did my MEP/IR at Flightpass and had a thoroughly good time, and got the result. Were you on my course by any chance NF, if you are who I think you are??? :D

If I can't get anywhere soon with the airlines, then I will go back and do my instructor rating with them.

Shop around Genius747, as a little research now could benefit you in the longer term. I'm glad I did!! :cool:

FougaMagister
6th Apr 2005, 21:00
Here I beg to differ - vive la différence!

If you are doing your CPL at Naples Air Center, why not do your MEP there as well (much cheaper than in Blighty)?

Remember that the JAR MEP(L) syllabus says 6 hours instruction, but for an initial MEP you are reasonably looking at about 10-12 hours, even after having just flown a complex single on the CPL course.

Then, in order to have near-seamless transition, you could go back to Britain to an FTO that use the same aircraft type you trained on at NAC - i.e. the lovely PA-44-180 Seminole. I can think of Atlantic Flight Training :ok: at Coventry and Bonus Aviation at Cranfield.

I would, however, advise you against taking a combined initial IR and MEP skill test. The initial IR is probably THE hardest skill test you will ever undergo, and you DO want a first time pass on that one!

Cheers :cool:

Nice flaps
6th Apr 2005, 23:17
Hey there Greaser
Good to hear you're alive and well! We'll have to hook up for a beer and catch up sometime soon. Hang in there with the airlines, things are picking up a bit (famous last words); I know my company are likely to be recruiting again shortly. Speak to you soon mate
NF

nasib
7th Apr 2005, 14:05
I think you'll find that it is NOT possible to do the Instrument Rating Skills Test and the Multi Engine (Class Rating Skills Test) on the same flight. I stand to be corrected (I'm getting too old to always keep up with all the changes) but the last I heard it is not possible to do so.

Nasib

LFS
7th Apr 2005, 14:13
nasib,

You are correct it is not possible to combine the MEP and IR test, the CAA also advise against combining the 170a and the MEP test. However, it is quite reasonable to combine the MEP and the CPL test.