PDA

View Full Version : Fly First Luton - Newark

Buster the Bear
4th Apr 2005, 15:48
A new airline called Fly First has announced plans to launch daily direct services from LTN-EWR from November of this year.

They intend to launch the services using a 757-200 in a First Class Configuration through out, seating only 48 passengers. The aircraft will be divided into four cabins each offering 12 seats that can lay flat and offer luxurious changing rooms, fax machines and phones from the aircraft.

They intend to use Signature Aviations business terminal at the airport and offer 45min check-in facilities.

Fares for the service will start from £3360 return which is inline with other carriers first class fares on this route.

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

Lite
4th Apr 2005, 16:51
I think there is a market for a first-class only operation in Europe for either intra-Europe or trans-atlantic markets, but the major problem I see with this being an independent operation, as opposed to an off-shoot subsidiary of a major airline, is that pax who typically pay these fares (if they do at all & aren't upgrades) are typically those who are frequent flyers with an airline who like to earn miles. These are people who enjoy the alliance benefits, and being able to spend wherever they want like through Star, Skyteam or oneworld. Will these people want to fly for an airline where they cannot earn miles besides an airline that flies only LTN-JFK?

"p.s. by united" and swiss' & Lufthansa's all-business class services on medium/longhaul routes have been a huge success, and many people have commented positively on the service (at least the UA & LH ones) and so it clearly works, but they have a major airline backing it.

Fried_Chicken
4th Apr 2005, 17:18
Will this flight be operated by Privatairs B757-200. They have the experience of operating Transatlantic scheduled first class services (they currently operate the A319 & B737 for Lufthansa & a B737 for Swiss)

FC

zed3
4th Apr 2005, 17:55
I can confirm that Lufthansa's Chicago service from Dusseldorf is superb . That is an Airbus 319 with 40 seats so 48 in a B757 should be even better . Interesting to see what happens - the price is higher than Lufthansa .

crewmeal
4th Apr 2005, 20:11
Believe it when it happens is my motto - especially after just been badly bitten by flywho or whatever they were going to be called!!

PAXboy
4th Apr 2005, 22:39
I'll make a prediction: Won't get off the ground. Am I just a moaning paxer who is unlikely to use this service?

The reasons given by Lite are all valid, in my opinion. Folks like to travel for work and use the perks for themselves and their families. This speaks only to the company.

The catchment area is probably not ideal. A similar attempt (767 proposed, if I recall) was tried from STN but that was floored mainly by 911. However, from an airport that is more difficult to get to from the City than STN?

Unless a major company of note backs this, I cannot see regular companies entrusting some of their most valuable staff to a small one a/c company.

When a machine goes tech at LHR, carriers ring up their pals in the next terminal or aisle and folks tut-tut but walk across to the other check-in. What are they going to do from LTN? Bus everyone down to LHR?

Sorry but I cannot see this working unless they get BIG backing.

LTNman
5th Apr 2005, 06:09
The catchment area is probably not ideal. A similar attempt (767 proposed, if I recall) was tried from STN but that was floored mainly by 911. However, from an airport that is more difficult to get to from the City than STN?

I would have thought LTN’s location would be in its favour. LTN has the UK’s second biggest catchment area after Heathrow and is far more densely populated than London’s rural airport out in the sticks in deepest Essex. For UK outbound passengers I would imagine they would travel from home to the airport and not from the city so Luton’s catchment area would work in its favour. Luton is also the UK’s busiest executive jet airport so many high flyers will already be familiar with the airport.

noodnik
5th Apr 2005, 10:13
Do they have website ????

brabazon
5th Apr 2005, 12:20
Don't think so, but there is a bit more here:

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=350662005

Anyone got £23m spare?

PAXboy
5th Apr 2005, 13:17
OK, I take your point about the catchement area but I suspect the folks who travel on biz jets are not the same that would be expected on this service?

This company would be planning to get people out of 1st and Club and from LHR. Those that use LGW are unlikely to want to travel the extra distance, no matter how pretty the flight.

So, you are trying to strip 1st + Club pax from LHR and are going to a single destination, either for NYC or onward connection. I think that is a highly limited market.

Avman
5th Apr 2005, 13:33
Dead duck! Seen it all and heard it all before. Most likely that it won't get off the ground. If by a miracle it does, I give it 3 months before it folds. The concept might work well for an established high profile carrier such as LUFTHANSA, but not for a new entrant. Many have tried and failed in the past (including USA transcontinental routes).

lowfaresbuster
5th Apr 2005, 21:43
the STN failed start-up was called newlines, and was run by Julian Cook- who has since went on to start flybaboo (a regional carrier based in GVA)

flyfirst.co.uk is registered to:

Registrant:
VISUALEYE LTD

Registrant's Address:
76 Lesney Gardens
Rochford
Essex
Essex
SS4 1TZ
GB

flyfirst.com seems to be US owned by an internet (traffic) co.

PAXboy
5th Apr 2005, 23:16
Another reason why the LH operation works is that they can smoothly transfer EXISTING pax to the new service. They can offer inducements and know that, if they don't like it they will get feed back and probably keep the customer. They have what is called a low cost of customer acquisiton.

Conversely, flyfirst have a VERY high cost as each pax has to be generated fresh. They will probably be experienced paxers and know EXACTLY what they want. If LHR is full of long haul carriers whose 1st + Club pax who are ALL fed up, they might stand a chance.

OK, maybe flyfirst have links to potential pax through clubs and associations etc. but the break-even point is going to be waaay down the road.

smith
6th Apr 2005, 20:07
Luton doesn't really have many onward connections compared to Heathrow. Imagine the scene though, fly in in luxury from EWR then transfer to an Orange sardine can for your onward flight.

leonbrumsack
6th Apr 2005, 22:29
There is a large number of people who travel on private/corporate aircraft within Europe, for example, but travel transatlantic on commercial flights in first class. Transferring from private jet to FlyFirst B757 at LTN should be relatively easy, especially if both flights are handled by Signature. I'd have thought it'd be a lot more appealing than at LHR, where absolute minimum check-in time for a commercial flight is 1 hour and you have to walk for miles to get to your gate, etc... I'd say good luck to FlyFirst!

PAXboy
7th Apr 2005, 02:03
If Signature have the contacts and capacity to make those links work - then good luck indeed. Still risky but more promising with that info.