PDA

View Full Version : Police Chopper Crash

Rhodie
4th Apr 2005, 15:08
Police chopper falls on house
04/04/2005 16:31 - (SA)

Johannesburg - One person was killed and two injured when a police helicopter fell on the roof of a house in Benoni on Monday afternoon.
North Rand police spokesperson Superintendent Eugene Opperman said the circumstances of the accident was not yet clear.
The helicopter, a Squirrel, from the police's air wing in Johannesburg was flying in the area with three people on board - the pilot and two other police officials - when it fell on the house in Torque Road.
Opperman said the names of the dead and injured have not yet been released.
"We are still investigating the incident," he said.

Snapshot
4th Apr 2005, 16:00
Horrible news, something you always dread
especially when its someone you know!

Rest in Peace my friend, you did a great job for many years
and there are many who shall always be grateful for what you did!

I shall remember some great times and raise a drink to you tonight
Lekker slaap

Snapshot (the rooineck)

Gunship
4th Apr 2005, 19:38
Condolences to the families / friends and colleagues involved.

Very sad news.

RIP

:sad: A police inspector died and two officers were injured when their police helicopter crashed into a house in Lakefield, Benoni, on Monday.

Operational Response Services Director Sally de Beer said Inspector Anton van Vuuren, 34, of the SA Police Service Air Wing in Johannesburg died at the scene.

"The pilot, Captain Carol Crosby, was seriously injured and is presently in a stable condition in a Johannesburg hospital," said De Beer.

"Another crew member, trainee pilot Inspector Vijendra Lankaser, was slightly injured."

The helicopter had been patrolling the area next to the busy N12 highway when the accident happened.

De Beer said police were working with the Civil Aviation Authority to determine the cause of the accident. - Sapa :sad:

Balloothebear
5th Apr 2005, 08:14
To all the guys and girls who know Carol, please keep her in your prayers, for today she faces her darkest hour.
She remains in a serious but stable condition in a JHB hospital.
Condolences to the family of the crew member who passed away, "May his wings be forever Golden."
R.I.P.

B Sousa
5th Apr 2005, 16:24
Can Someone over there keep us posted. Was this the Johanneburg group or the folks from Pretoria.
Also is there any fund being set up for these folks. I need some news to take to the ALEA board. www.alea.org maybe we could help out in some way..

There but for fortune..........................

Gunship
5th Apr 2005, 17:55
What we got down in the Cape is that Carol's lung(s) burst on impact. A massive impact.

Wishing her a very speedy recovery and God's Blessings

Gunzzz

Spetsnaz
5th Apr 2005, 20:00
I was truly sorry to hear about this accident and the fate of the Pilot. Does anyone have an update about the condition of the trainee pilot, Insp. "Lanky" Lankaser?

I was amazed to see the various conflicting reports in the media. One report mentioned a Squirrel, another a Hughes 500. One said Lanky was "slightly injured", another said "seriously".

I would appreciate an accurate report from someone.

DualDriver
6th Apr 2005, 10:28
Here's some gen that I got...

It was a Hughes 500 and Lanky broke his leg. As for Carol, the battery exploded and she suffered serious burns as well as breaking her back. She apparently fell through the roof and paramedics and SAPS members had to break into the house to get to her.

Our prayers to the crew for a speedy recovery and to the family of the member that lost his life in this tragic accident.:(

hover500
6th Apr 2005, 13:05
It's just horrible to hear this type of news.. and as somebody mentioned before.. especially when you know the people involved.
I am close friends with the pilot Carole and I have no way or idea yet how she is doing since I am on the other side of the world and not been able yet to contact anybody yet who could tell me in which hospital she stays.. and what her condition is.
:confused:

B Sousa
6th Apr 2005, 17:18
I know the dust hasnt settled yet, but again Im hoping someone will get something set up for these folks should they need a little financial help. Once we find out we can start the ball rolling from COPs around the world.......
Will somebody who knows the leadership at their SAP branch, give them a call and get us some answers.
Lets not let this thread go away........

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Apr 2005, 19:04
Get in touch with Adrian Parker. He's been through this particular mill and may have some useful info to pass on.

Condolences to the family and best wishes to those injured.

ANVAK
7th Apr 2005, 18:20
Bert - check in with Fred, he might have some contacts as well.
Meantime our prayers are with the injured crew.

B Sousa
9th Apr 2005, 18:37
I just got an email from Ivor [Email address removed] He states that the funeral for Inspector Van Vuuren is on Mon 11 April. Further that Capt Carole Crosby is in Milpark Hospital in critical condition. I remember that place and its a good hosptial.
I am still hoping that someone from the airwing will get together with ABSA or another good Bank and set up a special fund for donations.
We really need someone there to get involved to make this work....Im sure every little bit will help....
Talked to Rhodie today and hes going to try and light a fire under the folks on the South African end.
I made a post at www.alea.org its on the Public Forums > Discussion Area and can be viewed. Im hoping the Airborne Law Enforcement Community can pass the hat around and help out. If any COPS in SA are members of ALEA, they can also post the info as to the accident as it becomes available.

DualDriver
11th Apr 2005, 10:46
Unfortunately, the SAPS would not allow a specific fund for the members of the airwing, but donations in general could be made to the "Widow and Orphans" fund of the SAPS.

I'm trying to find out if such a fund can be set up, but we'll have to wait and see.

Watch this space for details of the existing fund I mentioned earlier.

DD

B Sousa
11th Apr 2005, 12:54
We are not asking SAPS. We are hoping someone in a responsible position can help get this rolling. It should have nothing to do with SAPS. I certainly dont want someone who knows nothing about these folks to get involved. It does not have to be a brass hat from somewhere other than Rand Airwing. Its sort of Personal and their friends should be the ones to monitor this.
Im sure we will have more info after the Funeral today. We're not talking about a big deal, just maybe a" pass the hat" to help out with a few things that they may need.

DualDriver
12th Apr 2005, 06:22
Bert, check your PM's

marc perkins
12th Apr 2005, 09:41
Great Approach Bert,

Certainly a whole new approach to these unfortunate accidents and incidents. It certainly flies in the face of the usual trial and execution mentallity that the South African aviation industry is plagued with. Far too often the pilot concerned faces the knives, assumptions and crtiticism well before any conclusive evidence has been assimilated. Been there, and experienced that and still witness it daily in our environment.

All the person concerned really needs is this kind of unconditional support from colleagues and associates. Just remember you never know when you could be next, and require the same approach.

I certainly hopr this will be a shining example for how we all should react.

Speedy recovery to those injured.

Well done Bert and co. :ok:

mp

canthover
14th Apr 2005, 11:55
Any news on Carole's condition - we are all wishing for a speedy recovery.

B Sousa
23rd Apr 2005, 13:34
Let see last post was 14 April..........Hmmmm How soon we forget.

Balloothebear
25th Apr 2005, 07:48
Carol is still in ICU, she has undergone several operations in the past few weeks, and is making a slow recovery.
The good news is that she is off the lung machine, and has started to move.
Her recovery is going to take a long,long time.
Please continue to remember her, as she takes this long road to recovery.:(

B Sousa
4th May 2005, 01:01
Last Post 24 April...Come on guys how about some news. The Folks at the SAP Air Wing are probably the last folks in SA you have in uniform you can count on.
Does this Lady whos still in the hospital have a computer available? Hows she doing. How about the other survivor??
I still havent heard anything as to passing the hat for these folks? Whats up with that??

Solid Rust Twotter
4th May 2005, 05:39
I'll give Adrian P a call a bit later and see if I can raise some gen to post on here.

joshuaw
10th Jul 2005, 18:18
Does anyone know the latest about Carole. I am not seeing anything further since May 4. Please could someone let us know how she is doing.

4HolerPoler
11th Jul 2005, 05:49
Here a couple of pictures of the accident. I have held off posting them as I felt that doing so was inappropriate at the time. If they do cause offence to any of the members please state your concern & I'll file them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/4HolerPoler/Pic1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/4HolerPoler/Pic2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/4HolerPoler/Pic5.jpg

Wishing a complete recovery for Carole.

4HP

Gunship
31st Jul 2005, 20:02
Amazing "footage" and amazing that someone could escape from such a crash :(

God Bless them all and a speedy recovery to all involved.

glimmerman_alpha
24th Oct 2005, 18:20
Hi Guys,

Any news on the pilot that was seriously injured in that crash earlier this year?

Would like an update from anyone involved seeing that nothing has been posted the last couple of months.

Hope she's doing well!:ok:

Fly Safe