PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical Engineer

Quango
4th Apr 2005, 10:14
Hi all

I was jut wondering what being an aeronautical engineer is really like, i.e what is the work like, is it fun, how much you get paid. Nay information would be greatfully appreciated. I know there are career databases that offer this information but I wanted it first hand as I know a lot of them are very general and sometime do not show the right informaiton!

Thanks

Q

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2005, 10:37
That's inevitably a fairly nebulous question - for the simple reason that there are a lot of us out here calling ourselves aeronautical engineers doing very different jobs with very different qualifications.

Do you mean somebody who has qualified to maintain aeroplanes? somebody who has graduated with an aeronauticls degree? or, some other variety?

Give us a few steers, and I'm sure we can help.

G

Quango
4th Apr 2005, 12:45
Sorry about that! I mean people who have an aeronautical engineering degree, for I am looking to do an aeronautical engineering degree.

airs1979
4th Apr 2005, 12:51
I think I could use some advice aswell! Im about to undertake a two year Jar 66 engineering course. Im really looking forward to the course itself but its going to cost me ALOT of money (too me, at least) and I will be paying it back over a number of years. I am now growing more concerned as to what my chances of employment will be when I finish. I know that its impossible to predict but im worried that the course irself will not be enough to gain me employment, ie, companies will want some kind of work experience to back the course up. I know i might be "freaking" myself out but I'd like to know whether or not you think this is a good way to get into the industry?
Thanks for any help.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2005, 13:38
Okay, fair enough - I think I can make a reasonable stab at answering Quango's question, if not Airs'.

An aero-eng degree is a very high standard general engineering degree which concentrates upon aircraft and spacecraft design. The standard degree is now 4 years and called an MEng (Master of Engineering), although a few people are still doing the older BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) course which takes 3 years. This is for England and Wales, add a year in Scotland where they leave school a year earlier.

At the end of this course you graduate as somebody who has developed a lot of analytical ability and a lot of knowledge about engineering analysis and design, and a fair amount of knowledge of how aeroplanes work. Unless you've managed to grab practical experience during a year out, summers, etc. what you don't have is any real working experience, so you will still need a fair bit of "on the job" training, so primarily what you have developed is a huge amount of potential.

Graduate jobs in aero eng (if you go into aeronautics, a large proportion go into other fields) pay typically a starting salary of £17-£21k, but are essentially trainee posts - you'll go into a (typically) 2 year training programme by the end of which you'll be in a position to slot into a job as a junior professional.

What job you might then end up doing is one of a massive range and will depend upon your talents and preferences, your employer's business, and their particular needs at the time. But, it could for example include....

- Stress analysing structures
- Analysing and testing aerodynamic flows
- "Far future" aircraft design
- Pure technical man-management
- Checking and certifying other people's design work
- Planning and analysing flight tests.
- Controlling the technical documentation and procedures around the organisation. (commonly called "Quality Assurance").
- Technical support of sales or front-line operators.
- Developing and testing simulators.
- Designing (parts of) aircraft and spacecraft.
- Operational management of spaceflights (usually unmanned sadly).

The list of what aero-eng graduates do (or can do) is pretty much limitless, the main thing is to have the initial degree, pick the right "electives" during the latter part of that, and manage to get yourself into a graduate training scheme in the right place.

Incidentally, there isn't really a standard salary for qualified and working aeronautical engineers, but I'd guess that the majority are pulling in somewhere in the region of £25-£40k in Britain.

G

Golden Rivet
4th Apr 2005, 16:19
Incidentally, there isn't really a standard salary for qualified and working aeronautical engineers, but I'd guess that the majority are pulling in somewhere in the region of £25-£40k in Britain.

http://www.goldenrivet-images.co.uk/Images/Smilies/0031.gif Glad I became a proper Engineer then.

http://www.goldenrivet-images.co.uk/Images/Smilies/0002.gif

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2005, 16:21
Well, we do get to work fairly sociable hours and go indoors when it's cold and wet.

G

Speedtape
4th Apr 2005, 16:45
Yeah? Well so do we and we don't have to big ourselves up all the time to all and sundry. :p

McAero
4th Apr 2005, 17:14
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

No relevance, but this time in 6 weeks I will no longer be a student! woohoo!! Honours degree in Avionics here I come.......now all I have to do is get this frickin' project report finished by next Thursday.:cool:

Got a job lined up too G. :ok:

Stick in Quango. It\'ll be tough but defo worth it......even when you think some of the stuff is irrelevant.

Speedtape
5th Apr 2005, 13:48
Well done McAero :) Where have you secured a Job?

McAero
5th Apr 2005, 14:21
Got a job with Thales.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Apr 2005, 18:31
MCAero, well done - and best of luck with starting your career there.

G

WindSheer
19th Apr 2005, 20:51
Does anyone know what the basic course would cost - I think its the Mechanical one.

I could be in a position where if I do the training, theres a job there.

Can anyone help??
I would end up working on both bus and Boeings.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2005, 21:28
Which course?

G