PDA

View Full Version : Why not sell your soul?

SixStringzz
3rd Apr 2005, 20:31
It saddens me to hear of more and more wannabe's who are willing to sell their homes to fund a fATPL course at the expense of their wives and children.

Would you sell your house and put the lot on the Roulette table? I doubt it but to be honest that is what you are effectively doing!

To be fair if you are single with no real commitments and you want to stick your neck out a bit then maybe it can be justified.

Pilots should inherrently always play it safe. How could you possibly take such a huge risk?

I love aviation with the best of them but at the end of the day it is just a job....!

Think about the people that you love and that love you, you may have their support now but are you really willing to ruin your life and your marriage to fund the marketing machine of the FTO's?

There are other ways, go and explore them!

Scott:(

Deano777
4th Apr 2005, 00:33
All this is irrelevant to be honest.
The bottom line is this, if most of us want to fly then we have to self fund it, and the best way of doing this is by way of re-mortgaging etc, its the cheapest loan possible, and another thing is, I dont think it's the training etc that breaks up marraiges, if your relationship is solid in the first place then going through the stresses of training won't be enough to push you over the edge, however I'm sure if your relationship is not strong and you haven't got the backing of your loved ones then it's just a recipe for disaster, I just can't see how learning to fly can be a direct cause for marraiges to break down (obviously there are exceptions to every rule).
We have a 9 month old daughter, my wife is due to give birth again in Aug, just when my first lot of exams are due, is it going to be tough? sure it is, but my wife knows that what I'm doing is something I've longed for since I was 5 yrs old, and she is not going to stand in my way and fully understands.
Another thing to remember is that we are only on the planet once, life is about risks, life is about going out to achieve your life's goals & ambitions, mine is to fly planes, so I'm going to grab that opportunity with both hands & feet, Im 32 this month, are the risk higher for me? hell yeah, is it going to stop me in my tracks? hell no.
Get off the sofa, get your backside in gear and go get it.
I'm not sure if your a pilot of any sort but if it's not in your blood how could you possibly understand :)

Dean

The Windsock
4th Apr 2005, 07:39
Why not just stay in a job you don't have a chance of enjoying for the for the rest of your life? A lot of people who take on the ATPL course do ok. I suppose it comes down to how much you want it.

Instead of calling it risk, why not just say it is a little extra motivation! Kept me interested!