PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Virus / McAfee probs---help please.

Krystal n chips
3rd Apr 2005, 16:53
On Thursday, McAfee commenced a normal virus scan auto download. When the download reached 100%--I got a message saying there was an error in the McAfee Security Centre--and was routed to do a manual download. This time I got a message saying that I have to be running Windows 5.5 or higher--which I am.

I did a virus check--all the levels showed up to date by the way--and only 30 % ( approx) of my files were scanned before I got the scan complete message. Repeated the excercise--same result.

On Saturday, I tried to send an attachment via hotmail to a friend, only to get a message saying the file was infected with a virus that could not be cleaned. Now I am aware that hotmail had serious problems over Friday / and early Saturday--and have also been sending attachments with no problem prior to this message. All the attachments came from the My Docs folder on OE.

Thus, whilst I clearly have a problem with a virus--I assume--I have no way of finding out which it is and where it is. I am a shade annoyed as I pay for McAfee--have Zone Alarm and Ad-Aware-the latest version --and do a scan of the latter on a weekly basis--so I would have thought I was well protected.

I also had another possible symptom when I returned after the w/end--two mails from different people were repeated. Neither of these people are likely to send the same message twice--although it could happen I suppose.

So, could anybody offer some advice please--not in IT terms as such--more an idiots guide as it were--as to how I can source the problem and rectify it --and also if my diagnosis is correct--or is there another possible reason for the sudden problems at all ?

Many Thanks

K n C

3rd Apr 2005, 17:16
K n C,

one of the first things I would do, is to try doing an online virus scan.
Trend Housecall, is one of the best.

AV (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

It'spicked up a few nasties for me, that Norton has missed.

Krystal n chips
3rd Apr 2005, 17:29
419--Thanks for that--further to my initial post, as an experiment, I tried sending the file hotmail said was infected again--just to confirm the potential problem--this time, it went without a hitch.

Which may or may not have a bearing on the main problem here-I don't know as yet. Many thanks,

K n C

Krystal n chips
4th Apr 2005, 07:56
Tried the link from 419---and the result was a clean bill of health--however---subsequent to this, McAfee has attempted to auto download and the same problem occurs.

I have mailed McAfee support--but don't seriously expect to get a reply---so I am still uncertain as to how to proceed with rectifying this problem. Any further advice / suggestions please ?

K n C

Krystal n chips
4th Apr 2005, 11:27
Mike -----Thanks for the advice--tried it and got the same result--and again, only 30% of my files were actually scanned. The other suggestion I have had, is to remove both McAfee and Zone Alarm from my PC and install new AV / Firewall protection. I am a little reticent to do this--seems a bit drastic--but if no viable solution to the problem can be found, it may be the only option.

PS Even as I write, another auto-download is being attempted--again to no avail.

Keef
4th Apr 2005, 18:16
Leave ZoneAlarm there - you need the protection that gives.

Assuming you have broadband, download AVG Free and run that. I dumped Norton and McAfee some time ago, when they both failed to stop a virus that made a right mess of my PC. AVG found it and removed it, and has been my program of choice ever since.

Krystal n chips
4th Apr 2005, 18:28
Keef----Thanks for that. I am not on broadband however---but--I posted a similar message on another site and lo and behold---somebody else had the same problem with McAfee. So, after yet another ( alleged ) error by them, I think another VP is the way to go here. Interestingly enough, the auto downloads have now ceased when I start up the PC. --so possibly they have actually recognised they have a problem? Another message I got told me that I needed Win 5.5 or above plus 128 etc--all of which I have.
This isn't the first time McAfee have gone t£ts up on me or others--notably when they decided to auto log people on when they were simply using Word for example.

Keef
5th Apr 2005, 00:25
AVG does the job well - but the first time you install it, it will want to download quite a large batch of virus updates.

I'm spoiled by broadband - AVG updates itself daily, and I don't even see it. I think I'd still use it if I were on dial-up, but would probably restrict its updates to off-peak times when I can keep a beady eye on it.

All Ahead Full
5th Apr 2005, 07:48
Also worth mentioning is whether you have tried to install some sort of anti-spyware package - the new Beta version from Microsoft is good, and clears lots of other things up as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

is the link - need to copy and paste it onto one line in your Web Browser

Krystal n chips
5th Apr 2005, 16:31
Just to say Thanks to all who replied and offered advice on this matter.

I have now removed McAfee and installed AVG--and I have to say I am very impressed with the latter in every respect. In fact, the contrast could not be starker !.

My PC turns out to be clean--and the speed of the virus check was incredible--again, in contrast to McAfee--as is the display format for that matter--so I am a lot happier now than I was 24hrs ago.

Once again, it would not have been possible without the assistance of those on this site. :ok:

Best Wishes

K n C

Coconutty
6th Apr 2005, 14:10
If you've just installed AVG Free edition there is the facility to make a "Rescue Disk" that you might not be aware of - Just click "Service" from the top Menu line then click "Rescue Disk" and follow the instructions.

I managed to get my PC infected with a virus which AVG detected on Boot Up but couldn't heal at that point, so prevented the PC from booting any further into Windows.

The rescue disk can be used to Boot-Up the PC and run the AVG program without Windows loading - in my case AVG was then able to remove the virus wihtout further problems allowing me to restart the PC as normal.

Coconutty :ok: