PDA

View Full Version : Europe to Africa

Jules
3rd Apr 2005, 14:07
Hello,

Was wondering if anybody could tell me what I need to go through to convert a JAA "frozen ATPL" to an equivalent South African license? How much would be a typical price and how long time would it take?

If I have to do all the theory again, is there any schools in South Africa running distance learning courses?

Also if anybody could recommend any schools in the Johannesburg area, where I could do this it would be great!

Thanks!:ok:

birdlady
3rd Apr 2005, 15:22
Hi Jules

Dont mean to sound harsh but if you have a JAA licence I wouldnt bother coming over here and converting. Its a big risk to take after spending so much money on a licence. The market is flooded here at the moment and if your not a South African citizen its virtually impossible to get a work permit. However, if your determined to come over here I can recommend Avex for the ground school. Unfortunately you have to do the exams - CPL exams that is. Avex is based in Grand Central. Im doing their course at the moment through home study and their notes are excellent. You'll also obviously have to get a South African Class one medical. For the flying part, I really dont think it will take too long. Just a couple of hours to get used to the airspace and radio here, and then do the CPL prac test. I could be mistaken on this so I would check with the CAA. I would also check up on what kind of visa's you need to study for CPL - if Im not mistaken you'll have to have a study visa. I can also recommend taking a look at this forum www.avcom.co.za
Hope this helps and good luck
:ok: :ok:

Jules
4th Apr 2005, 10:02
Hi Birdlady...

Thanks. I have earlier lived in South Africa, and still have many connections to the country...so I donīt expect the work permit should cause me problems.

Concerning job matters, I am hopefully close to being offered a job through some friends..so that should be okay as well.

I will take a look at the school you mentioned. If anybody else has some names to recommend I would appreciate it! What are typical prices for the theory? And how long would it take....6 months...12 months...?

Kindly,

jules

birdlady
4th Apr 2005, 14:15
Hi Jules

The theory shouldnt take you too long if you've already done your ATP's. Id say roughly 2 months for the groundschool and a couple of weeks for the CPL and Multi IR test. Its a lot easier to convert from JAA to ICAO than it is to convert ICAO to JAA. ;) ;)
As mentioned above, try the forum I recommended - they should be able to give you more info.

:ok: :ok:

Jules
5th Apr 2005, 13:59
Okay,

thanks for the info birdlady...been very helpfull! I will take a look at the website.

Cheers,

Jules