PDA

View Full Version : Female Helicopter pilots.....

Thomas coupling
15th Feb 2001, 18:54
How many female ATLP(H) pilots are there out there??

Don't hear from any female helo pilots, full stop.. Doesn't the profession attract them?

http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/redstar.gif

------------------
Thermal runaway.

Whirlygirl
15th Feb 2001, 19:22
Female CHPL here... will eventually get my ATPL(H) though..
can understand why the industry does not attract more women given some of the attitudes I've encountered. Having said that I've also been very plesantly surprised by others. times are a changing... and for the better I might add.

Letsby Avenue
15th Feb 2001, 20:53
Hmmmmmmmmmm............

HeloTeacher
15th Feb 2001, 21:49
I just thought they were smarter than us :-)

Whirlygirl
16th Feb 2001, 00:06
We are, Heloteacher... but occasionally a few of us are selected to show ya'll just how much further you still have to come... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Brilliant Stuff
16th Feb 2001, 00:12
We have got 2 ATPLH and 2 CPLH in our Company.

ol_benkenobi
16th Feb 2001, 02:06
As a little aside:
don't know whether you stray into other forums but the Army Air Corps Helicopter Display Team will have a female pilot in it this year.

MaxNg
16th Feb 2001, 02:33
If god had intended women to fly then he would have painted the sky pink!!!!

It's Blue isn't it

He He

Just kidding girls

IHL
16th Feb 2001, 05:33
I've flown with 2 , both excellent IFR pilots.

rotorfan
16th Feb 2001, 08:18
I have a friend in one of my pilot organizations who was an original Whirlygirl, an early group of women heli pilots. She owned a H269, plus a handful of seized-wings over the years. She was even one of thirteen women selected to be trained as astronauts! (The program was cancelled before any of them were allowed to go into space.) She's a great lady and so humble that it's hard to get her to talk about her accomplishments.

driver 8
16th Feb 2001, 15:45
I seem to speak to a lot of female heli pilots as a controller working the North Sea heli traffic. I have to say evryone I have spoken to is very professional and I've never had a problem with any.

Not that we get a lot of problems with any of you but there is the occasional "disagreement".

Keep up the good work Gals/Guys.

D8

Dunx
17th Feb 2001, 03:11
I have certainly noticed that the female pilots who fly the North Sea sectors are less prone to "talking on the other box" syndrome than their male counterparts. :)

I agree with D8, you helo guys certainly give us an easier ride (no pun intended girls!) and tend to be more flexible than some of your fixed wing counterparts.

Thanks and keep it up (damn..there I go again.. :rolleyes: )

Pac Rotors
18th Feb 2001, 13:27
I have met quite a few female helo pilots around in my travels and the majority have been very capable. In fact one of the best ones here in NZ was unfortunately killed in a wire strike last year. Marybeth Rodriguez has a great job in Southern California flying Don Callendars Bell 407.

Whirlybird
18th Feb 2001, 16:57
Well, as a PPL(H) presently struggling with CPL exams I can't stand up and be counted, not yet anyway. But there do seem to be quite a few women steadily climbing the ladder, probably more than there used to be. Women are a small minority in aviation generally - are there proportionally less of them flying helos, or just less helo pilots altogether? I'm not sure. But I suspect the reasons are the usual ones - girls less likely to hear about it when young or even think it possible, women still tend to earn less so have trouble affording the training, many flying jobs have anti-social hours and most societies still expect women to be the family carers, and prejudice is still around. As to women's abilities, I was under the strange illusion one needed to co-ordinate hands and feet to fly helos, not certain appendages... oops, this is Rotorheads, not Jet Blast, better stop there. Anyway, I think it's just that changing people's attitudes takes time. Give it 20 years, then we'll be considered normal and not a novelty (and no-one will know instantly that it's me cocking up radio calls :) ).

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Whirlygirl
19th Feb 2001, 16:48
I have to say I agree with Whirlybird... the helicopter industry is not something many women are exposed or invited to consider. It's still very much a male domianted environment and that can be very intimidating. I'm not sure about the stats anywhere else in the world but here in canada there are approximatly only 83 female helicopter pilots out of roughly 4000. a slim minority..

IHL
19th Feb 2001, 23:53
Hey Whirlybird.It's not too late. Instead of finishing your CPLH , go fixed-wing instead.
If you think about it , rotary wing is a dead end career. After the initial thrill is over and your at the top of the profession, you will realize that as an off-shore captain (North America) you'll make less than a co-pilot flying jets, with no travel privileges and no further advancement. I made the mistake of staying too long in helicopters.

Best of luck IHL.

Lu Zuckerman
20th Feb 2001, 08:49
When Hughes helicopters first designed and certified the 269 they wanted to show how easy it was to fly. They took one of the secretaries who also happened to be very attractive and trained her how to fly a helicopter. They took her all the way to commercial and got her an instructor’s ticket and sent her all over the world demonstrating the model 269. She was obviously very successful as they sold a lot of them as a result of her trip and demonstration. Her name was Roses Weidinger (possible misspelling of last name).

------------------
The Cat

Pac Rotors
20th Feb 2001, 08:52
One of New Zealand's first helo instructors was a women called Cathy Penney. She became one of the most respected helo instructors in the country and turned out many a good student. Back when I was younger I knew of a few flying ag aircraft and this was some fifteen years ago so they have been flying in NZ for some time.

However over in Australia have not run into that many at all.

PR http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

B Sousa
20th Feb 2001, 10:28
I knew two young, very beautiful and educated ladies who were both Helicopter Pilots. I flew with one of them one time and discovered she was so smart that she could do anything. I never flew with her again. Sadly they were both killed in the same helicopter. As I understand it was doing things experienced men could not do.

Whirlybird
24th Feb 2001, 04:04
Whirlygirl,

83 out of 4000 sounds like roughly what I would have expected. In the UK, according to the CAA, approximately 2% of commercial pilots are women - same for fixed wing and rotary I think. It sounds as though Canada is about the same.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

mrfish
26th Feb 2001, 00:07
The fact that so many of us remember the 'minority' is evidence in itself!

An MBE (equiv.) was handed out in 1997 (in NZ) to a female rescue pilot, for a SAR in the Alps.

I had the plesure of 'rescuing' a dutch B105 crew in Bosnia in 1998 (after an engine failure)......most astounded when the helmets came off to reveal long blonde locks.

Males/females...bah humbug. If you're up to the task, welcome.

As to the fixed-wing comments above (????) having spent 4000hrs on helos, I'm off to the A340; I'll never regret the path I've taken.

Good luck to you all.

SASless
3rd Apr 2005, 13:41
I started a thread in the Military Aircrew forum about a US Army Blackhawk pilot that got wounded in Iraq....did so after seeing a C-Span interview of her at Walter Reed Army Hospital. If you get a chance to see that program on Television....do not miss it!

Tammy Duckworth is a true hero....hear her talk about her service to the country....her dedication to return to flying duties...one very impressive little Hawaiian girl.

I stand in awe of her courage and indomitable spirit....and I think you will to, if you hear her speak.

Take a wander up to the Military Aircrew forum and see how that thread is progressing.

This little lady soldier and helicopter pilot is welcome at my corner of the bar....I'm buying!

Got the following from an Army Guard pilot from Missouri currently serving in Balad Iraq

It is Standing Operating Procure for us to fly in pairs. Nov 12 was no exception. After what seemed like a routine flying mission over Baghdad. Dan Milberg was leading his flight of two UH-60 Blackhawk's back to our base at Balad. They were about 20 miles from Balad flying over a large date palm grove. The area North of Baghdad is covered with date palms. Iraq is a huge exporter of dates. They were in a combat spread formation flying about 50 above the ground and just few feet over the tops of the trees. Dan was in the left seat and on the controls. They had no passenger on board. Chalk two had one passenger, a Colonel who had only been in country a couple days. Chalk two saw a puff of smoke rise out of the trees.

Then they saw Dan's aircraft start to descend. They attempted to call lead but got no response. There had been an explosion and light flash in Dan's aircraft. The aircraft started to shake. He looked over at his co-pilot and she was unconscious and leaning forward over the controls. All Dan's instruments were out to include electrical power. Part of the instrument panel in front of his co-pilot was gone. Unknown to Dan the co-pilots pedal and cyclic were gone. He did not have communication with either crew chief/door gunners. He continued to fly straight ahead at tree top level. Once they came to an opening in the trees he started to descend and slow down. Trail could not see any damage to the aircraft from their position. There was a single tree in Dan's flight path but he managed to climb over it and land.

This was a perfect example of your first priority in an emergency is to continue to fly the aircraft. Unknown to Dan his stabilator was also not functioning making the aircraft more difficult to land. One of the pilots in the trail aircraft continued to attempt communications with Dan, while the other made a Mayday call to the near by FOB (Forward Operating Base), they then called for any aircraft in the area to respond. Two Blackhawk's from our sister company were only a few miles away and were quickly on the scene providing overhead cover. The FOB which had Medevac aircraft had put the aircraft on alert.

On the ground Dan had shut down the engines and got out of the aircraft. As he passed the gunner on his side and was instructing him to help he realized he had been injured. He had been hit with small arms fire. Dan rushed to the other side only to discover his other door gunner had a severe leg wound. He helped them out and gave them their weapons to provide security. All were concerned that those who shot them down would soon be there. By now the trail aircraft was landing as close as they could do to the rough ground condition. The crew chief/gunner and the other passenger from the other aircraft rushed over. The ground condition made it very hard to walk much less run. When Dan got to his co-pilot he could see she had one of her legs blown off and the other leg severely damaged and well as her right arm. She appeared to be dead.

After seeing the people on the ground struggle trying to move the wounded one of the pilots from the second aircraft also dismounted to help. Dan continued to manage the situation while helping move the wounded. About this time OH-58D's arrived on scene to provide more firepower and security. Once on board the trail aircraft it lifted and headed directly to the FOB at Taji. The injured were provided first aid during the short flight. As they landed the medevac aircraft landed beside them and transferred the three injured. They were flown directly to the hospital in Baghdad. It was later determined the area was not secure enough to recover the aircraft and it was destroyed by attack helicopters. It was later determined through analysis of the shrapnel in the copilot vest that an RPG came through the cockpit. It entered the co-pilots chin bubble and floor, took out the flight controls, instrument panel and exited the green house window above the co-pilot and struck one of the rotor blades.

Currently, the door gunner is back with us and flying again, he has bullet in his butt and the doctor's choice to leave it. The other crew chief Gunner is in a military hospital in Missouri. He will eventually fully recover but will require some time. Dan's co-pilot is at Walter Reed. It is truly a miracle she survived. She is lost both legs, one above the knee and the other at the hip. They are hoping to be able to give her two prosthetic legs. She also had several procedures to her right arm. She is made a lot of progress and we have high hopes she will regain 100% use of it. She plans on remaining in the Guard and was promoted to Major on schedule while at Walter Reed. Dan is back to flying and leading combat missions.

Hell Man
18th Aug 2010, 07:00
Would like to see photos of female pilots from your country, who they are and what they do!

From the US: DESIREE HORTON

http://bp0.blogger.com/_wD6HJbWF3F4/SGv3X3IwCTI/AAAAAAAABZU/qdQgKcZ4u4I/S660/Picture+056.jpg

Desiree Horton with the with the S58T she flew for Aris Helicopters

http://bp0.blogger.com/_wD6HJbWF3F4/R3Charj4k0I/AAAAAAAAA5M/n2H-Ae_hV2Y/S660/Picture+032.jpg

Desiree flying fire with this Astar on Indy contract

Let's see Chopper Chicks from other parts of the world!

HM

22clipper
19th Aug 2010, 01:47
Saw a 'Surviving the wires environment' video once. Featured chief pilot Amy Sargent & her mossie control Jetranger in the Florida Keys. My eyes flicked from Amy to the kero burner and back. There aren't that many chief pilots that look better than their helicopter.

Non-PC Plod
19th Aug 2010, 09:29
It must seem very patronising to the female pilots reading this thread, the number of perfectly well-meaning posts feeling the need to "defend" female pilots, and saying that many of them are actually fairly capable.
The fact that anyone feels the need to say this shows a latent prejudice, if they really think about it. Imagine if we chose any other sector of our working community, and talked about them in this way!
'Nuff said - I'm off to join my sisters in a feminist commune!:)

parasite drag
19th Aug 2010, 09:32
it seems this thread is drifting into a female heli pilot pin-up concern.....:ok::ok::ok:

chcoffshore
19th Aug 2010, 10:15
Good!!!!!! :ok::}

Lonewolf_50
19th Aug 2010, 12:25
Speaking of female helicopter pilots ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Wendy_Lawrence_NASA_STS114.jpg/479px-Wendy_Lawrence_NASA_STS114.jpg

Wendy B. Lawrence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_B._Lawrence)

She done good.

Plank Cap
19th Aug 2010, 13:08
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e172/ruplaw/Rotary/2004_0212Image0007.jpg?t=1282221430

MartinCh
19th Aug 2010, 18:37
When talking about Desiree, you should also mention Stacy Sheard. Her and Desiree are friends and both featured in 'One Six Right' documentary about Van Nuys.
Silently envious of Blackhawk and Huey flying.
Can't paste link to b l o g s p o t..

Do check out pictures on SkyMuffin. b l o g s p o t. com

206Fan
19th Aug 2010, 19:19
If I'm correct the Army Blue Eagles have a female lynx pilot and the Navy Black Cats have a female leading them also this year.

Hell Man
20th Aug 2010, 04:53
"It must seem very patronising to the female pilots reading this thread, the number of perfectly well-meaning posts feeling the need to "defend" female pilots, and saying that many of them are actually fairly capable. The fact that anyone feels the need to say this shows a latent prejudice, if they really think about it."

Yuh!, I've thought about it .. and come to the conclusion that its a bunch of cr*p!

I belong to the generation which has had to fight for women's equality (especially in the workplace) and which I've been doing since I left the Army. I guess by the next generation topics like this will be meaningless but, for now, I'm gonna continue to celebrate the sisterhood in my profession!

Truth is (and I've found this to be so without exception) our sisters enjoy our appreciation of their presence - they still want to feel wanted and accepted and I for one ain't gonna deny 'em that.

Now - back to Chopper Chicks!

"This seems to be drifting into a female heli pilot pin-up concern!"

Damn, that would be cool .. maybe we can even come up with an alternative calendar for 2011!

MartinCh; we've got a heap of hot helo chicks in the US and which is why I was suggesting PPRuNers to post details of the sisters from around the world .. maybe a female Chinese Army pilot or a Brazilian Police captain! Anyway, I've included Stacy for you (below).

The only contribution so far (with photo posted) is Plank Cap's wife but .. no details. Does she fly for fun, commercially .. does she fly radio, forest fires???

Let's see the best there is from around the world!

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/2/4/5/1154542.jpg

Bell 430 N901RL of Elite Aviation at Los Alamitos for Van Nuys crewed by Tracy Glatzhofer (left) and Stacy Sheard with the crew indicating their intention to light up no.1 engine

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5403/1851/1600/Stacy%20Bell%20430%20%28Small%29.jpg

Stacey Sheard over downtown LA in the 430

HM

Gordy
20th Aug 2010, 06:02
Hell Man....

Tis late, and I may regret this post in the morning....but.....Please stop....do you realize how embarrassing you are....

Whirlygig
20th Aug 2010, 07:03
...shakes head ....
plus ça change, plus c'est la même choseHell man et al, I don't even know where to begin .... maybe some of you could just sit down and have a little think .To make comments on someone's appearance and then express delight and surprise that that person also has a talent or skill is not big and it's not clever and ceased to be funny 'round about the time I was born.

Cheers

Whirls

Pandalet
20th Aug 2010, 08:06
Hell man et al, I don't even know where to begin .... maybe some of you could just sit down and have a little think .To make comments on someone's appearance and then express delight and surprise that that person also has a talent or skill is not big and it's not clever and ceased to be funny 'round about the time I was born.

This. This describes exactly how I feel, but I couldn't get the words right for.

Non-PC Plod
20th Aug 2010, 09:46
"Yuh!, I've thought about it .. and come to the conclusion that its a bunch of cr*p!"

Thank you for your contribution, I also value and respect your input.:yuk:

fly911
20th Aug 2010, 10:37
Tammy Duckworth. One of my heros....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Tammy_Duckworth_wheelchair.jpg/440px-Tammy_Duckworth_wheelchair.jpg

fly911
20th Aug 2010, 11:00
First female pilot killed in Iraq.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Kimberly_Hampton.jpg/800px-Kimberly_Hampton.jpg

Shawn Coyle
20th Aug 2010, 11:54
To quote from Cyclic and Collective:
"There is no intention to demean members of either (any?) sex with the use of certain gender related pronouns. Men can fly helicopters just as well as women."

parasite drag
20th Aug 2010, 15:54
...can't we just get back to the Chopper Totty pics ;)

BlenderPilot
20th Aug 2010, 17:44
Well this is Talia Santiago, she's the second female helicopter pilot in Mexico (first one is Vero Banda), Talia flies a Bell 407 and also flies with me part time in the Agusta 109E, she comes from an aviation familiy and I can tell you I am amazed at her flying abilities, ease, confidence, clever and fast learner. Amazing Pilot, although she can barely reach the pedals! ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRUNETWO/TaliaSA2.jpg*

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRUNETWO/TaliaSAFB.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRUNETWO/TaliaFB.jpg**

bugdevheli
20th Aug 2010, 18:01
For gods sake men, can we at least have some honesty one here.Whats the first thing you look at. Helicopter or the women. Ladies, girls, call them what you will. If the answer is the latter, then it just proves you are a normal red blooded male. If i was adrift in the Atlantic, then the rescue pilot if female could have a fat arse and a face like a bag of chisels i would not be choosy. However, if they looked like the pics so far i am sure i could forgive them for any slight faults in their piloting ability.

Whirlygig
20th Aug 2010, 18:30
you are a normal red blooded male.As opposed to the green-blooded ones and blue-blooded ones eh? :} Women, if course, have rose-pink blood. :hmm: And never read Pprune. :\

Cheers

Whirls

Hell Man
20th Aug 2010, 18:58
This is NOT for Non-PC Plod, Gordy or Whirlygig .. but for the rest of you, and I'm gonna pretty much repeat what I already said!

I invited PPRuNers to contribute photos of our sisters from around the world because in addition to appreciating the beauty of some of our kin I am among the millions on men still alive who, during their career, have fought for women. That fight has always been well rewarded in that the people I have supported and promoted have made me proud and as a result have strengthened my commitment to the cause as it were.

For those 30 and below this may seem arcane but there are those of us who were among the first to train, recruit and promote women pilots and for us old geezers we still get a kick out of seeing our sisters progressing and improving their place in the industry.

Don't worry - we'll soon be gone and you'll be surrounded by the likes of young Gordy's and others who couldn't dream of posting a thread with the word 'woman' in the title!

Finally - on the red blooded issue; you can make it illegal for men to be fascinated by women but, for as long as this ball is turning, you won't ever stop it .. its a part of what it is to be a man and, if you've got style and panache and sensitivities .. the sisterhood love it. They love it when they're admired and appreciated .. as professionals as well as women!

HM

Peter-RB
20th Aug 2010, 19:02
I had a Lady insructor, Hard as nails and totally unflappable, as a big rough and touble type myself, I was humbled to see such a small frame have such strength, and huge charecter also to go with it, she made me do things over and over and over again in the end she placed her knowledge into my hands , I owe that little lady a huge debt of thanks, for what she gave to me.:D

Peter R-B
Vfrpilot

Whirlygig
20th Aug 2010, 19:49
Where would I be without real men to tell me what I appreciate and love :bored:

Cheers

Whirls

Gordy
20th Aug 2010, 21:03
Hell Man....

Don't worry - we'll soon be gone and you'll be surrounded by the likes of young Gordy's and others who couldn't dream of posting a thread with the word 'woman' in the title!

Me...Young, why thank you. Working for the USFS, you can look me up and find that I am maybe not quite as young as you think I am......

Had a huge response written about values, but in the end, it is just not worth it...your mind is made up.

Whirls et al....for what it is worth, sadly, not all men are created equal....

Whirlygig
20th Aug 2010, 21:19
I am maybe not quite as young as you think I am......Younger'n me ....:p

To most of the posters on here ... how would you feel if some bloke directed all your comments to your daughter or if it was your daughter whose photo is being posted on a forum for other men to ogle for no other reason than she flies a helicopter.

Cheers

Whirls

topendtorque
20th Aug 2010, 21:22
a bit more on the cyclic an' a bit less on the collective there Gordy ol' son, or you'll be into vrs.

But - as usual, Blender comes up trumps:ok:

Freewheel
21st Aug 2010, 07:19
For gods sake men, can we at least have some honesty one here.Whats the first thing you look at. Helicopter or the women. Ladies, girls, call them what you will. If the answer is the latter, then it just proves you are a normal red blooded male. If i was adrift in the Atlantic, then the rescue pilot if female could have a fat arse and a face like a bag of chisels i would not be choosy. However, if they looked like the pics so far i am sure i could forgive them for any slight faults in their piloting ability.

Personally, I look at the helicopter first. After all, I've sometimes found a worm in an apple only after taking a bite.....:sad:

Actually that was a poor example, but you get what I mean.

rogerk
21st Aug 2010, 08:31
Sergeant Julie Wiles, 31, was the first woman in Britain to be selected for an aviation display team in 2001.
She flew a Gazelle as Number 4 with the Blue Eagles, following her father Major Alan Wiles who led the team in 1979.:ok::ok:

rogerk
21st Aug 2010, 13:38
... complete with pony tail and chewing gum - great lady !!

8alR96JQGJs

:D:D

parasite drag
21st Aug 2010, 13:45
I've found that in these moden times we live in, women can chew gum equally well as men :p

500e
21st Aug 2010, 18:26
Whirlygig
Think most missed the subtlety of post 46

Epiphany
21st Aug 2010, 19:36
500e,

You are right there. Whirlygig is a very talented individual- musician, helicopter pilot, accountant, a degree in nuclear physics and drinks pints of Bombadier. A lady who certainly doesn't need someone to tell her what to appreciate and love.

parasite drag
21st Aug 2010, 19:41
but a question remains.....is she also 'purdy' ?? ;)

Whirlygig
21st Aug 2010, 20:23
Yeah ... like a shotgun ....:E

Aw ... shucks Epiphany :)

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
21st Aug 2010, 21:00
Yes, Whirls is a very clever lady. :cool:

Cleverer than me, anyways.

And purdy too. I've seen the photo of her on her bike, with stabilisers..... ;)

500e
21st Aug 2010, 22:10
Epiphany
Bombadier :sad:
Now I know I am among true professionals

EN48
21st Aug 2010, 22:57
"you can make it illegal for men to be fascinated by women but, for as long as this ball is turning, you won't ever stop it .. its a part of what it is to be a man and, if you've got style and panache and sensitivities .. the sisterhood love it"

The most powerful force on the planet! Drives EVERYTHING else, like it or not. :E

Ned-Air2Air
21st Aug 2010, 23:51
I have had the pleasure to run into a number of ladies flying in different parts of the world. Here are a few, and will see if I have any pics to add later.

Renae - From Sth Africa now flying in Whistler, BC

There was a kiwi pilot who had the distinction of flying BK117 into top of hill removing the skids.

Sarah Bowen - Owner of Helitorque website and instructor. Great pilot and great lady.

Brenda (cant rem last name) flew Blackhawks with US Customs out of Miami.

Rosemary Innes Jones - used to fly here in NZ, very accomplished pilot.

Kandy Fleming - EC135 EMS pilot in the United States.

Jessica Freeman - Cool gal flying Blackhawks in Korea.

Lori - Flying Blackhawks in the United States.

Bridgette and Billie Joe Kies - Flying at Barossa Helicopters in Sth Australia.

Johanna - Flying EC135 on Marine Pilot work and instructing at Chopperline.

Will post more when I remember.

Ned

Whirlygig
22nd Aug 2010, 00:08
ShyTe, you mean this one .... just the sort of Chopper Girl Hell Man is after eh?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/Whirls/OutsideBecherClose2.jpg[IMG]http://www.pprune.org/http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/Whirls/OutsideBecherClose2.jpg

Cheers

Whirls

ospreydriver
22nd Aug 2010, 03:40
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/phrogdriver/harrismemorial.jpg

Jen Harris, Marine CH-46E pilot shot down by a MANPAD in OIF.

Coconutty
22nd Aug 2010, 05:45
Hey - Don't forget that one off the Gaviscon advert ! ;)

( Couldn't find a pic or video of the TV ad though - - anyone ? )

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

Gordy
22nd Aug 2010, 06:44
You go Whirls......

EjectEject
22nd Aug 2010, 08:08
Coconutty

I must be mad, but if it makes you happy.......

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/tn/tnZZZZZZTVC071205091630PIC.jpg

graculus
22nd Aug 2010, 12:46
So much fascination with lady pilots. Is that because there are 33 million more males than females in the world and somebody's feeling rather frustrated :confused: Maybe some of the posters here should move to some of the former countries of the USSR, such as Latvia, where there are 1.19 females per male, rather than sounding as if they come from UAE where there are 2.14 males per female :rolleyes:.

There are, thankfully more ladies joining the helicopter flying fraternity and some have been members for very many years. Let's face it, one of the world's largest helicopter companies CHC has a lady as President of its International division - ok, ok, she's not a pilot. Perhaps they're more liberated in the Scandinavian countries such as Norway where both CHC and Bristow have ladies as their training managers. There have been ladies on the North Sea flying offshore for many years with the likes of Wendy Winnard,Mo Jones and several others as early pioneers.

There are several lady helicopter pilots now flying in Nigeria. Wale Mak must be very proud of his daughter who is a pilot for Aero and PAAN has the Chloe and husband team in Escravos, with Tanya on the 332, and Meg and Bimbo on the S76. I won't demean their professional status by mentioning their looks - their professionalism says all that needs to be said about them.

Our female helicopter pilots are special - many of them have had to struggle harder than men to get into the business, have had to overcome (and still do) a huge amount of prejudice to have got to where they are and yet are still judged too often by their looks than their abilities. I salute you all, may your numbers grow such that one day you'll be the ones asking not, "is he a good pilot", but "has he got a cute butt" or "I'll bet he's got a great six-pack" :E:ok:

EN48
22nd Aug 2010, 16:41
Did a tour flight in Hawaii years ago in an AS350 with Robin who was an ex U.S. Army WO pilot - Ft. Rucker training etc. Superb pilot, and, oh yes, wonderful to look at - I was in love within 3 minutes. :ok:

So much fascination with lady pilots.

Seems to me that this is partly (mostly?) because there are so few female helo pilots, and they combine in one individual two of the most important things in a male helo pilot's life: helicopters and the attraction of the opposite sex. The ultimate combination for many.

ospreydriver
22nd Aug 2010, 22:43
There are, thankfully more ladies joining the helicopter flying fraternity and some have been members for very many years. Let's face it, one of the world's largest helicopter companies CHC has a lady as President of its International division - ok, ok, she's not a pilot.

Speaking of women running helicopter companies...
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/phrogdriver/lynntilton.jpg

The (in)famous Lynn Tilton of MD Helicopters.

I guess the attraction to female pilots is the whole tomboy thing--who did you like in "The Facts of Life?" Blair or Jo? Are you a Mary-Anne or Ginger kind of guy, in other words?

CYHeli
23rd Aug 2010, 06:13
Ned you didn't want to add Rose McRae? She wrote a good book once too.

Isn't there an International Club for female helicopter pilots? Whirly-Girl Home Page -- Women Helicopter Pilots (http://www.whirlygirls.org)

If so, why can't we talk about the fact that women fly as well as guys do?
There are calendars of well built firemen, and that is not thought of as sexist!

Yes I know, a big difference is that the fireman possess for the photos and knows where it is going, but this is not a porn site and these are not porn photos that we are talking about.

I know two male pilots who appeared in Cleo's most Eligible Batchelors list. Are they wrong for doing that.

What is wrong with saying "She's cute! Oh and she flies as well. Cool!" This is not expressing surprise that an attractive person also has a skill or ability, this is expressing admiration. We who fly, know what it took to get here. Most times we can feel for someone elses journey, male or female.

I have a good looking teenage daughter, and I know that some will look at her beauty as an excuse for sexualising her, their problem. But at the end of the day, I still have an intelligent and good looking daughter.

I believe that society has progressed from the days of 'She has looks and therefore no brains'. I don't see how any of Hell Mans posts are suggesting that is the way he thinks/posts.

Whirlygig
23rd Aug 2010, 07:02
How many of the women whose photos have been posted here, have given their permission?

The delightfully gorgeous and uuterly sexy Thomas Coupling who started this thread asked about numbers of female pilots and why the profession doesn't attract more. He did not ask for photos or names.

CY Heli ... the two women who have responded to this thread latterly have disagreed with Hellman (and, ipso facto, you). Why does their opinion not matter and why do you think you know better about what is acceptable than they?

Cheers

Whirls

parasite drag
23rd Aug 2010, 17:04
maybe one of you sexist pigs should start a separate 'Chopper Totty' thread...however, I for one, won't be viewing ;););)

handysnaks
23rd Aug 2010, 17:36
The delightfully gorgeous and uuterly sexy Thomas Coupling

Oh god whirls, don't make him any more bigheaded than he is already!!!:ok:

Lonewolf_50
23rd Aug 2010, 18:08
How many of the women whose photos have been posted here, have given their permission?
Just to clarify ... for whirls ... the Wendy Lawrence pic is in the public domain (posted in Wikipedia and so noted) and is a NASA PR photo to boot. Not very many helicopter pilots get to be astronauts (she flew H-46's in the US Navy) so to those of us in that fraternity she's a big deal.

Yellow & Blue Baron
23rd Aug 2010, 19:16
I belong to a society which is recognized as being among the leading cultures to exercise gender equality. It is not something that will take another generation because we grew up with a strong commitment to values of equality.

Having said that and while I am against reducing women to 'sex objects' (in the broadest sense); on this thread my greatest concern is not for those who have posted images of women in aviation but the biting and sometimes offensive comments of those 'defending' women's dignity.

Very disappointing :( and, in my view, an over-reaction to something which I believe may have been quite innocent.

YBB
http://www.icelandexpress.is/is/upload/images/iceland_express/destinations/swedish-flag-67x.jpg

SASless
23rd Aug 2010, 22:14
Typical bunch of helicopter pilots....talking about purdy double barrels!:E

Whirlygig
23rd Aug 2010, 22:23
That's the trouble with you Sassy dahling ... you've just got one thing on your mind .... side-by-side or over-and-under. :}

Cheers

Whirls

CYHeli
24th Aug 2010, 02:21
Whirls, sorry to upset you, not my intent, as I too also have an opinion which I was simply expressing.

I accept that two women have posted on here stating that they don't appreciate the change of direction of this thread. Sorry if my opinion disagrees with both of yours. I know that my opinion is not superior to yours.

Why does their opinion not matter and why do you think you know better about what is acceptable than they?
I never made either of these assertions.

I never judge a person by their looks, but I do appreciate beauty and it should be acceptable in society to acknowledge someones beauty. I don't believe that is a sexist attitude. It takes more than that.

If this is unacceptable behaviour then this thread would've been closed/locked/deleted by the mods.

ospreydriver
24th Aug 2010, 04:39

The delightfully gorgeous and uuterly sexy Thomas Coupling who started this thread asked about numbers of female pilots and why the profession doesn't attract more. He did not ask for photos or names.

I think the photos and names were to show prominent or accomplished women in the field. They illustrate that there are indeed women who have accomplished much in the field.

As to why there aren't more, that's a cultural thing that goes well beyond the realm of those here. Aviation in general is still a profession associated with a daring and aggressive attitudes, rotorcraft flying probably even more so. Then you throw in the working conditions and a little bit of engineering and math required to fly. Rightly or wrongly, fewer girls and women are taught and/or socialized to pursue professions that involve these things than are boys and men. It becomes self-perptuating to some extent in that more men go into the field, which discourages women from trying at all.

Why aren't more men nurses or elementary school teachers? It works both ways. As society has become more open and accommodating of different interests that cross traditional stereotypes, "men's" and "women's" professions have become more integrated, but these things take a long time.

Just over 15 years ago, women weren't even allowed into many, if not most, military helo jobs. That's a big source of qualified helo pilots. Even in the civilian world, seeing a female pilot used to be like seeing a zebra. It's still not an everyday thing, but it's no longer shocking.

Things don't change overnight.

SASless
24th Aug 2010, 20:25
Ah my Fair Whirls....and I never once mentioned my Sikorsky S-58T days when I enjoyed being bouyed up by a great Twin Pac!:E

All joking aside folks....the Ladies have had a hard row to hoe in the helicopter world. I recall seeing the first US Army few....and wondering how it would all turn out in the end.

If one keeps an open mind about things and consider the price they have paid proving themselves every bit the equal of their male counterparts....including being Killed and Wounded in combat....then I think we can all accept the fact they have more than earned their place at the bar with us hairy legged neanderthals.

As I have said of many of them individually....they are welcome at my end of the bar...and I'll buy the first round! Based upon some of the piccies....some of them would be especially welcome!

(Sorry...couldn't help me self, Whirls!:E)

Whirlygig
24th Aug 2010, 21:08
Well said Um ..., :ok:

...and you were doing so well Sassy Dahling .... :)

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
24th Aug 2010, 21:39
Glad to say that one of my female students captained the RAF's first all-woman fast jet flight. Another was amongst the first of the RAF's female SAR helicopter pilots.

The latter did very nearly kill me once :eek: but I forgave her and we all learned about flying from that. ;)

Whirlygig
24th Aug 2010, 22:02
The latter did very nearly kill me onceWhy, what did you do? :E

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
24th Aug 2010, 23:14
Why, what did you do?

I avoided being killed! :p

ospreydriver
25th Aug 2010, 02:32
Probably 50% of the women Osprey drivers now in the grade of Captain in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children crossed my path at Exciting Whiting when we were implementing the tiltrotor pipeline....
I can't think of a one of them I would lay odds on appreciating having her photo posted here without her consent..

I think I've flown with 90% of the female V-22 pilots. At least two of them have been in enough press releases that they shouldn't be surprised wherever their names and photos appear.

That said, point taken. Of the 2 I posted, one died in the line of duty, and I copied the picture from her memorial website, and in what I thought was a respectful fashion. The other was of Lynn Tilton...and if you know anything about her at all it's that she does not shy away from ANY publicity.

Regardless, I don't think anything of a prurient nature has been posted, but if anyone doesn't appreciate photos being posted, I know I'll stop. I'm sure everyone else will, too.

So everyone knows--they can post any pictures they might find of me online wherever they want. Well, except for any taken at that campout a few weeks ago...:eek:

ShyTorque
25th Aug 2010, 08:12
What was the story about the fellow who could do everything better than everyone else?

In my case, all I can say is that so far I'm doing slightly better than those that are no longer with us; I'm still hanging in here, albeit by the skin of my teeth.... :\

Bertie Thruster
25th Aug 2010, 11:41
Hi ShyT! Me too (hanging in). 15 months to go. :sad:

A few years ago one of the more gnarled winchmen told us front-enders;

"All helicopter pilots are female."

I thought he was referring to our delicate touch and precise hover....

"Nah......you're all a bunch of tarts"

Heliport
25th Aug 2010, 21:20
Whirls How many of the women whose photos have been posted here, have given their permission?

#23 Desiree Horton
High profile in LA. Numerous pics on the web and articles about her in various magazines.
Her website 'The Adventures of Chopper Chick!' includes an interesting account of "how I started and got where I am today."

#28 Capt. Wendy Lawrence
Pic from Wikipedia. Numerous others on the internet.
US Navy helicopter pilot, engineer and NASA astronaut.

#29 Plank Cap’s wife

#32 Stacy Sheard
Numerous photos on the net.
Uses the pic posted by Hell Man as the intro to her Sky Muffin website. ('Sky muffin' is American slang for an attractive female flight attendant.)
Interesting career from Russian Military Intelligence Analyst and then Blackhawk & Huey pilot in the US Army, via EMS, corporate and film work, to her current job as a Production Test Pilot for Sikorsky at the Keystone facility in Pennsylvania.

#37 Maj. Tammy Duckworth
Numerous photographs on the internet
Lost the lower part of both legs when her Black Hawk was hit by a rocket propelled grenade fired by Iraqi forces resisting the occupation. Several awards including the Purple Heart and Air Medal. Ran for Congress in 2006, narrowly losing to her Republican opponent. Declined medical retirement to continue her service in the Illinois Army National Guard
Has just (this month) obtained a fixed-wing license.

#38 Capt. Kimberly Hampton
Numerous photographs on the internet
US Army pilot killed in Iraq in Jan 2004 when her Kiowa Warrior was shot down. First woman military pilot in US history to be shot down and killed as a result of hostile fire. Posthumously awarded the Bronze Star, Air Medal, and Purple Heart.

#41 Talia Santiago
I got to know BlenderPilot well when I was the Rotorheads Mod and he provided the monthly calendar. I respect him and am confident he would not have posted the photographs if the pilot objected.

#52 Sgt. Julie Wiles
Joined the Army as a student nurse, qualified as a pilot in 1997 and selected for the Blue Eagles display team in 2001. Lots of publicity (incl pics) at the time.

#63 Capt. Jennifer Harris
US Marine Corps pilot killed in 2007 when her CH-46 went down during her third tour in Iraq. Numerous photos on the net.

Whirlygig
25th Aug 2010, 21:39
There are also photos of me on the internet on public sites but I'd be a tad miffed if someone posted one on this thread without asking. :suspect:

My (and others) objection is that there is a certain faction of ppruners here who are reducing these professional aviators (aviatrices) to the status of pin-up girls without considering whether they wish to achieve that status. Some may well; others may not.

Cheers

Whirls

EN48
25th Aug 2010, 21:48
the status of pin-up

Sure wish I could achieve the status of pin up boy and sex object. The stuff that dreams are made of! :E

Whirls, you're never going to win this one. You are up against forces you cant begin to understand! :ok:

Whirlygig
25th Aug 2010, 21:52
You are up against forces you cant begin to understand!You mean a male-dominated environment inhabited by dinosaurs who have no intention of broadening their perspective?

I know.

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
25th Aug 2010, 21:56
I'm very intent on broadening my perspective.

I've been doing exercises and the six pack now looks like a party seven. :E

Whirlygig
25th Aug 2010, 22:19
ShyT, you sure it's not your elevation that's increasing? :}

Cheers

Whirls

500e
25th Aug 2010, 22:41
Whirl
I have all ways pictured you as slightly older ( only Slightly) Should you be drinking before the training wheels are removed:E

ospreydriver
26th Aug 2010, 03:24
There are also photos of me on the internet on public sites but I'd be a tad miffed if someone posted one on this thread without asking

Welcome to the "internets." And 2010. It would've happened sooner, but it's hard to pass on photos by telegraph.

I don't think any were posted in a "pin-up" way. I get how that could be offensive in a "professional" forum.

Bigger picture, I think that this reveals a difference in gender attitudes about privacy and such. Expanding that to a ready room-type environment it brings up an issue that is an elephant in the room. Everyone loves the female pilots...why, she's just "one of the guys"...isn't she cool...she doesn't mind how we swear and tell dick jokes and fart in public...until the invisible line is crossed. SHE decides where the line is, not you, and you don't know where it is in advance.

There are lots of female pilots who will act as if they don't want special treatment, but are the last ones to turn down the profile article in the Marine Corps Times, for example.

I'm not anti-female or anti-feminist. I just think that the fact that there is a "female helicopter pilot" thread and that there's a debate here about posting photos shows that we still have issues going on. If someone started a thread that said,"post pictures of prominent helicopter pilots here..." would we still be talking about privacy issues? Maybe only in regards to the women? If I post a picture of Igor Sikorsky without asking his estate am I objectifying him? How's that different?

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/phrogdriver/Igor-Sikorsky.jpg

Sorry, Igor.

Whirlygig
26th Aug 2010, 06:52
I don't think any were posted in a "pin-up" way. I get how that could be offensive in a "professional" forum.

Osprey .... Here's a selection of quotes from the previous few pages ... makes me think the photos are posted in a pin-up way??
Now - back to Chopper Chicks!

"This seems to be drifting into a female heli pilot pin-up concern!"

Damn, that would be cool .. maybe we can even come up with an alternative calendar for 2011!

Chopper Totty pics

However, if they looked like the pics so far i am sure i could forgive them for any slight faults in their piloting ability.

You want to know where the invisible line is? I've been telling you for the last few pages but few are listening - that, I can't help.

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
26th Aug 2010, 07:06
ShyT, you sure it's not your elevation that's increasing?

No, it's quite flat around here. ;)

ospreydriver
26th Aug 2010, 14:02
You want to know where the invisible line is? I've been telling you for the last few pages but few are listening - that, I can't help

If that's the prevailing position of the invisible line, guess I'll need to recalibrate mine from "military" to "private sector" sometime.

Half the fun of aviation is hanging around after flying, shooting the bull, and making smart-ass remarks. Guess I'll have to leave that stuff behind.

I think I'll disengage on this topic, but if it makes you feel better, that Igor Sikorsky is one damn handsome man, don't you think?

SASless
26th Aug 2010, 17:15
Damn....give'em shoes...let'em out of the kitchen...let'em vote....quit beating'em when they get out of line....and this is the thanks we get!

You mean a male-dominated environment inhabited by dinosaurs who have no intention of broadening their perspective?

.....and there I was seeing so many of the weaker sex within our ranks.

OH....sorry....wrong kind of "broadening" I guess!

Still love me Whirls?;)

Whirlygig
26th Aug 2010, 17:24
'Course I do Sassy Dahling ... I didn't say "exclusively inhabited" :)

Smart-ar$ed banter can be enjoyed between all the sexes; not looking past the face (or whereever) to reach the personality is not enjoyed.

Cheers

Whirls

EjectEject
26th Aug 2010, 17:42
Of course it can be enjoyed - depends on what side of the "face" your on - bom bom.

Smart arsed banter. :E

hueyracer
26th Aug 2010, 17:55
Dudes, i lost the line following this discussion....

I do not care about the sex of a pilot-especially among the (male) pilots there are lots of "good guys", who do a great job flying out there-and there are a lot of them with whom you can enjoy the time after flying (for B-B-B)...

But there are also big a**h***s among them....

Why should it be different with female pilots?

Up ´til now, i have only met a few female pilots that had been good aviators, had a "good character" and who did not hover when they were back on earth...

But the few i met have just been "comrades"....

So what?

CYHeli
26th Aug 2010, 22:15
You mean a male-dominated environment inhabited by dinosaurs who have no intention of broadening their perspective?

Would be fair Whirls to summarize what you have been telling us that your arguments are not about censorship, but simple respect?

And that by posting photos of female helicopters we are not showing our sister pilots (any) respect?

Since I also guess, that I am one of those who you believe that needs to broaden their perspective, how then, can we admire female helicopter pilots, for their character, their passions, their skills and their beauty and still show respect? After all, men are programmed to admire beauty. It is how they respond to what they see that defines their (the male) character.

There seems to be a problem with locating the invisible line...:=

Col.

Whirlygig
27th Aug 2010, 06:37
There seems to be a problem with locating the invisible line...Thankfully, most men have no difficulty in that. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

iwtbsttw
28th Aug 2012, 00:31
hi I am a woman wannabe and I am so willing to get your advice on how to get there. It is my childhood dream (not very original probably, but who cares!). I already have planned for work, first step "how to finance my commercial licence" with zero money. I live in Montreal, Canada. Any self-made woman who did it, please advise me on how to get there! Best regards,

mfriskel
28th Aug 2012, 07:08
People who were "woman wannabe's" used to have to travel to Sweden, but now you can take care of that more locally. Miracles of modern medicine, but you still can't make yourself into a woman!

Sorry, I just could not resist that.

Anthony Supplebottom
28th Aug 2012, 07:20
FORCES.CA - Home (http://www.forces.ca/en/home/)

Whirlygig
28th Aug 2012, 21:05
Curious as to why you think your sex would make any difference as to how you would finance your "dream". :}

Banks won't care whether you're male or female, your parents certainly wouldn't care, schools won't care (as long as you pay!) ... the route is exactly the same.

As we progress through the 21st century, female pilots are less and less of a novelty. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

topendtorque
28th Aug 2012, 21:15
how then, can we admire female helicopter pilots, for their character, their passions, their skills and their beauty and still show respect?
CY ....? easy man, didn't you just done it? a no-brainer.

Whirlygig
28th Aug 2012, 21:27
'Ere TET ... get with the programme ... ;) there's been a two year hiatus in this thread during which time, the aviation world and the ratio of male/female has improved. Things have changed in this short time (for the benefit of iwtbsttw) ... either that, or I've whipped you all into submission. :E

Cheers

Whirls

Gordy
28th Aug 2012, 22:03
I've whipped you all into submission

I seem to have missed out on the whippings..... :E:E Where is SASless when you need him...I am sure he will have a witty response to that one...

griffothefog
29th Aug 2012, 05:11
He's probably tied up somewhere, or lashed to his deck :E

topendtorque
29th Aug 2012, 10:20
or lashed to his decknever decked for a lashing, me thinks;. titivated for a reason? we'll standby to hear, unless it's to silence it's been.

my resolve ain't shaken - regardless of a reported overwhelming of numbers.

CYHeli
29th Aug 2012, 10:22
He's off reading 50 Shades of Grey ...;)

rotorfossil
29th Aug 2012, 13:39
In my fairly long experience of training, the number of professional women pilots is roughly proportional to the number who really want to do it.
Women don't seem to be encouraged towards aviation as a career by educational organisations (in spite of the efforts of the British Women Pilots Association). They don't habitually read aviation magazines when they are young or generally turn up at hangars and pump fuel/clean aircraft etc. It quite often seemed to be the case that their interest in becoming pilots was rather a late thing after considering other careers, hence they didn't show up well during selection, unless they had family connections in aviation.
However, those who really wanted to do it and put in the effort often came out better than their male counterparts.

helibabe
1st Sep 2014, 01:53
Hi Ladies,
This is a group for women in the aviation industry. Feel free to post your job description, location, age, years flying /dreaming about it, dream position and anything else :)
The guys have their groups, I hope we can as well! I'm 23, I currently have 240 helicopter hours | Commercial and Instrument rating obtained in Orlando and and 2 more exams to pass in my home country before I can apply for a position as Cadet:cool:

Non-PC Plod
1st Sep 2014, 15:01
TC - half an hour down and no bites yet! Are you losing your touch?

Helilog56
1st Sep 2014, 16:26
Once a knuckle dragging Neanderthal......always a knuckle dragging Neanderthal...:rolleyes:

Non-PC Plod
1st Sep 2014, 18:49
Helilog - everything is not necessarily as it seems. Its just that when things are quiet, for entertainment TC likes to pull the pin and see if anything explodes!

Thomas coupling
1st Sep 2014, 19:18
Damn...........

MightyGem
1st Sep 2014, 19:46
Once a knuckle dragging Neanderthal......always a knuckle dragging Neanderthal
Helilog, TC started this thread way back in 2001.

Helilog56
1st Sep 2014, 20:57
Then a Neanderthal with waaaaaaaay to much time on his hands....:p

owen meaney
2nd Sep 2014, 00:21
Rosemary Arnold, Whirly Girl 99, first Australian female PPHL, 1965
Heli musterer, lifter of 200L drums of Avgas, got the better of the sometimes obnoxious JW at VRD. Legend.

Nigel Osborn
2nd Sep 2014, 02:50
Captain Flameout, that's a name from the past!! Didn't know she tried mustering!! I think Rosemary started her career as a hairdresser which paid for her flying lessons. I think the process cost her a marriage or two. Haven't spoken to her for 25 years, so I guess she must have retired.:ok:

owen meaney
2nd Sep 2014, 04:01
Damn Nigel, you are correct, was Rosemary Mcrae of the helimuster days.
Whirly Girl 530, the title of her book also I believe

Nigel Osborn
2nd Sep 2014, 09:29
Also Rosemary Harris!!

WG99
6th Nov 2015, 03:49
I have recently become aware of your words #1909, below, and claim my right to reply:
"I am assuming that Rosemary Arnold (Australia's first woman helicopter pilot) must have been a friend of yours given that she was flying at around the same time as you!" ...

I have never been a friend of Nigel Osborn, nor do I recall meeting him since I started flying at the start of 1962, which I believe was years prior to his arrival in Australia. I strongly object to his posting my photo and adding an erroneous caption to it. His comments relating to me are inappropriate and full of inaccuracies, as are other comments on Australian rotary-wing history; such as VH DMR's pilot was Noel Dodwell, a friend of mine, in 1964 and was later upgraded to a Bell206; Dan Tyler was not in the country and was not employed in Australia until 1978. Dan has been a close friend since he assisted me in forming the HAA, 1977.

I became Australia's 1st woman helicopter pilot in 1965, WhirlyGirl No.99 and first in the Southern Hemisphere. I attained my two Australian Commercial Licences in 1967 (later added French and USA) - fixed-wing and rotary-wing. I became Chief Pilot of my own helicopter charter company in 1977 with a Bell47J2A VH THH, later operating other helicopters; i.e. Enstrom F28C, Hughes 500 and 300, Hiller 12E. All accident and incident free. In 1969 I flew the first Hughes 500 off the assembly-line, for commercial use in the World from California to Florida, as a guest of Mr Rea Hopper, Senior VP Hughes Tool Company; logged 33hours.

Yes, as a single mother of four I could not find employment in aviation so went into debt buying my own helicopter and working three jobs to pay it off. Not many male helicopter pilots can claim such an effort. It was not "pink" as sneered at but it was floral with floral interior to match my fuel-truck, a Mini Moke with its 11 jerry cans. My maximum was 75 take-offs/landings in an 8-hour flying day and max PAX 276 in one day. I carried thousands of joyriders and always donated 10% gross takings to the fund-raising charities.

I am offended at Nigel Osborn's public discussion on my personal life of which he knows nothing; how I financed my flying?; I was never a hairdresser!; what my husband(s) thought and that my flying "cost me a marriage or two". I have four children and I was married to their father for 17 years; they do not need to be subjected to harmful untruths from a person presuming to know me. I object to criticism of wearing "pink" and to the "very, very ugly floral upholstery" that I chose for my Triple Happy Helicopter." I paid for it and it was highly suitable for the barn-storming.

I graduated with my Bachelor of Aviation Degree at age 70 then lectured at University Western Sydney on five aviation degree subjects 2004-2006. Started Helicopter Weddings above Sydney Harbour in 2004 with Chapel in the Sky. Am the author of history book "First Females Above Australia - first 100 years of Australian women pilot firsts 1909-2009" (I knew 70 of the 100 I wrote about). Recent book about my career is "Smile at the Sky" and will now be adding a further chapter on the treatment still being aimed to discredit me by so-called professional aviators. Where is the level playing-field?

Misogyny has always been healthy in Australia and believe me I felt it but am surprised to be subjected to it 53 years later. At 81, I recently travelled 20,000km donating books to school libraries and talking to groups on aviation. I've given more to aviation than most. An apology would be nice?

http://www.pprune.org/HelistopCover
http://www.pprune.org/SATScaterCVR
http://www.pprune.org/1470159_362769543868295_625857226_n.jpg

Skydoc
6th Nov 2015, 20:46
Apology should be demanded

Bravo73
6th Nov 2015, 21:02
I have never been a friend of Nigel Osborn, nor do I recall meeting him since I started flying at the start of 1962, which I believe was years prior to his arrival in Australia. I strongly object to his posting my photo and adding an erroneous caption to it.

I've got no bone in this 'fight' but FWIW, Nigel Osbourn didn't do either of those things. The photo was posted by another user (who no longer posts on PPRuNe).

WG99
6th Nov 2015, 21:55
You missed the point #2529 Bravo .. FWIW.

This forum's stated purpose is:
"A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them"

Nigel Osborn certainly put "words that I quoted" on several threads, about my personal life. " ... attractive even after 4 children!" "... paid for her flying training with her own money, so her husband couldn't complain" ... "the process cost her a marriage or two." How dare he discuss my finances, my husband's attitude, my failure to maintain a family life for my children because I became a pilot. Disgusting for a professional aviators' forum. How did my personal life affect him? so why did he feel the need "to discuss the things that affect them"

Take a look at the female bashing that was allowed by the moderators:
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/494444-oh-dear-beware.html

You must have had a mother, so how would you feel if she wanted to take flying lessons and her "pink bits" and size of mammary glands were discussed on a public forum "Oh dear, Beware". I'm sure your mother had pink in her closet, so would that be an issue along with the CofG if she leaned forward in a R22. If your mother was pulled over for speeding would that be an issue affecting her flying lessons and a video posted of her misdemeanor? Think again and read my words with a clearer perspective. Wrap it all up together ... Nigel Osborn played his part.

As for that caption and the photo ... it was directed to Nigel Osborn, who replied so he is big enough to take some responsibility. I think he had a mother, too ... at least I know he has a wife with the same name as me. She is also an author about 2 ducks, but is that relevant to this forum "to discuss the things that affect them". No that is his personal life but he felt the need to discuss mine, didn't he? Take responsibility for inappropriate actions.This is not a locker room.

Bravo73
6th Nov 2015, 22:38
You missed the point #2529 Bravo .. FWIW.

No, I read your various other points.

Other stuff

Are you now aiming your ire at me? Please don't involve me in your agenda. If you've got a problem with someone's posts, report them to a moderator. There is an icon at the bottom of every post.

WG99
6th Nov 2015, 23:24
Sorry, Bravo73 but I thought when you wrote "Nigel Osbourn didn't do either of those things" that you were speaking on his behalf. Did not mean to look like I was shooting the messenger.

And yes, I had previously complained to the Moderator(s) with the hope there might have been female representation amongst them ... but no acknowledgment.

Senior Pilot
7th Nov 2015, 03:12
WG99,

It is not easy dealing with your concerns when the posts and threads referred to are 2-3 years old, and in one case the link around which the thread is based is no longer active. I also have no record of hearing from you with a previous complaint, maybe it went via a generic report to the site admin rather than to the forum moderators?

Firstly, if you are offended by Rotorheads and posts then I regret that you feel that way, but mysogyny is the hatred of women and something totally absent from this forum. I have never seen any mysogynistic post here on Rotorheads in my time on PPRuNe; indeed most (all?) of us blokes have a deep and abiding love of the fairer sex!

If you feel that some posts have been untoward then please report them and I'll deal with the report, but I am having difficulty finding some of the comments that you attribute to Nigel, even allowing that your first reference was to a post made by Savoia who no longer visits this site: not Nigel, who then responded with compliments on your achievements and your beauty. At least two of the references that you also make were made by topendtorque, and were also in a later post which was complimentary of you and your achievements.

We have always welcomed helicopter pilots from around the world of many nationalities and their gender has always been an irrelevance: all are equal here. Within reason a degree of banter is good for any community, and only when it becomes overtly insulting would there be need for moderation. If you will report the post(s) that have offended you and the reason(s) then such reports will be acted upon, but please accept that no-one here has ever shown hatred of women such as you imply.

I have moved this discussion out of The Rotary Nostalgia thread into Female Helicopter Pilots, as a more appropriate location.

WG99
7th Nov 2015, 04:45
To Senior Pilot No. 2531:
Thank you for responding to my concerns.

These posts were recently drawn to my attention, mentioning my personal life and rising doubt as to my achievement of 1st woman helicopter pilot in Australia due to similar names, yet careers 20yrs apart. This was to do with a nomination for a high award which needed verification. Doubt lingers now, sticking like mud.

Some comments were only 12months old, not so long in people's memories and made by strangers who claimed the right to state such "facts" 50years after the event when they were not even residents in Australia. Hearsay.

Re display of hatred towards women ... I ask that you get your mother, sister, wife or daughter to read the thread "Oh dear Beware" and get their reactions to having a "prospective student" discussed in such a manner. The colour "pink" appears to be a red rag to these men. Female anatomy is ridiculed and a motorist misdemeanor video is posted. Relevant? Hatred towards women? Inappropriate comments aimed at a student female pilot whose high-profile could have brought increased growth to the helicopter industry (I have no knowledge of this media TV UK personality).

My name was drawn into it, having worn pink ... no my helicopter was not pink but had pink floral artwork externally, as was the hippie era in the 70s and most attractive to the joyride circuit. The upholstery matched my fuel-truck Mini Moke. All these comments are completely outside the realm of your forum for genuine aviation matters. Why should they care; I paid for it.

If this is not a dummy-spit at women's intrusion into the rotary-wing field then I can find no other reason for such expressions of unprovoked hostility. It could not be interpreted as supportive to a "prospective student" whoever she is and whatever pink vehicle she drives in whatever manner.

As for Nigel Osborn's reply and voluntary comments to the photo question, he made no denial but augmented the query by stating personal "hearsay" not based on personal friendship as he indicated. I remain offended.

DOUBLE BOGEY
7th Nov 2015, 06:17
SP I have to say that WGs comments on the "Oh Dear Beware" thread are spot on. That thread was an appalling display of discrimination on many levels exposing a few rotorheads to their own jealous iniquities.

Setting aside the technical difficulties of tracing the comments that have offended WG, taken at face value, she has every right to feel offended that her private life should be so blatantly discussed on this forum. What about her right to anonymity!

WG, Bravo for standing up for yourself and more importantly those milestone achievements! However, if you do not mind my saying so, whilst I agree and support your position, some of your posts above are in "Transient Overswing" and some people will never change their views. At your age best now to forget them and enjoy your achievements.

SilsoeSid
7th Nov 2015, 09:52
DoubleBogey;
That thread was an appalling display of discrimination on many levels exposing a few rotorheads to their own jealous iniquities.

Fine words from someone that recently said on another thread;

"She's tall, slim, big eyes, wide mouth, good figure. And can handle a joystick! Ummmmmm......pretty in my eyes! Went to specsavers cos Doc says my eyes have started to suck. Got two pairs. She's still pretty with them on or off!

Tracey, if you are reading PM me. Could be the start of something beautiful!"

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/566340-female-pilot-taxis-stearman-into-r44.html#post9090237
:=

nigelh
7th Nov 2015, 13:22
You got him Syd ... DB repeat after me " i must not pretend to be a new age kind and sensitive man to try to get in with the girls ..." .

Thomas coupling
7th Nov 2015, 15:41
:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

DOUBLE BOGEY
7th Nov 2015, 17:51
SID you have me over a barrel in one sense......but absolutely not the other. It may have escaped your incisive attention....but my comments are nice....very nice in fact. Whereas the vicious garbage posted about our dear national treasure Katie is uncalled for, unsolicited and most definitely misosojinistic (can't spell that word but you get my drift)

Try harder Sid!

WG99
7th Nov 2015, 21:20
DB: its "misogynistic" I looked it up. Thank you for your comments elsewhere. Much appreciated ... it gets lonely being pink! And no I can't slow down for I have a lot to do in the ten years I have left, aviation-wise. Also I probably can destroy a couple more of my marriages due to my audacity to be a pilot? PS: I do wear other colours but do have a pink mink flying jacket with pink captain bars on the epaulets ... PR promotion in OZ for breast cancer awareness, started by FlyPink Qantas pilots, who are wearing them and they painted an a/c pink. "Pink" is not a red rag to every bull.

nomorehelosforme
9th Nov 2015, 04:23
With Pink been seen to be the calming comment on this thread maybe divert interest to an Pink charity?

Arnie Madsen
11th Nov 2015, 12:18

WG99 ... Google ... Dini Petty Pink Helicopter ..... When she was 22 (1967) she flew a Hughes 269 for 5000 hours over Toronto Canada doing News reports

Later she went on to have her own (excellent) afternoon talk show and was the only person Red Skelton would do a one-on-one interview with , some of it is archived on Youtube.

She is still around , must be about 70 now , great gal.

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2015, 12:24
Arnie, are you telling WG99 to research the history of herself?

Arnie Madsen
11th Nov 2015, 13:39
Arnie, are you telling WG99 to research the history of herself?HUH ??? ... I believe WG99 is Rosemary from Australia , Dini Petty is from Canada.

whoknows idont
11th Nov 2015, 14:41
When she was 22 (1967) she flew a Hughes 269 for 5000 hours over Toronto Canada doing News reports

Now that's impressive! So she flew 57% of the whole year, that is almost 14 hours every day... and that in Toronto weather! :D

Peter-RB
11th Nov 2015, 14:57
I have great respect for Lady Pilots (or should it be Pilotess) I was taught by a really nice gal called Wendy, she was patience personified , and never got into a sweat in my early lessons when all my mistake kept on occurring, she taught and spoke so clearly that I understood everything she said..it was making my hands and feet do what she instructed that took the time... much respect to all Pilotess's.... especially Wendy who's skill allowed me a new multi dimensional freedom eventually.. :ok::D

Thomas coupling
11th Nov 2015, 15:41
Peter-RB..................................creep;)

WG99
11th Nov 2015, 20:12
Whirly Girl history shows that Dini Petty was born in the UK and became WG 131. Think this was in 1967 at age 22. She was a TV Personality and flew her pink H269 doing traffic patrols in Toronto, Canada. Very experienced and highly regarded. Believe she was born in 1945 and at 70 was/is still flying. Google shows some great photos. Maybe this is on interest.

Australia had first Whirly Girl in 1965 (No.99), second was No.248 and third was No.332. Not sure if any in between but had a highly experienced No.530. The numbers signify order in which their helicopter pilot licences were attained. Originally the group was formed for the first 100 in the World, but has grown somewhat since. Hanna Reitsch was WG No.1 and is reported to have been the first pilot to fly the first practical helicopter, in the World.

Ref: Hovering , by Henry M. Holden, Black Hawk Publishing Company 1994.

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2015, 20:16
Thanks for the clarification! :)

Peter-RB
12th Nov 2015, 15:03
TC,....:D but not normally, but in her case yes..!:ok: