PDA

View Full Version : Identify this once-flying-object

El Grifo
3rd Apr 2005, 11:19
A friend of mine photographed this whilst walking in the Cheviots last week. It was around one foot in diameter.

It looks more Rocket-like than Missile-like to me.

Any clues Ppruners?

http://www.susie-wong.robrae.co.uk/object.jpg

sprocket
3rd Apr 2005, 13:08
Russian satillite booster??

El Grifo
3rd Apr 2005, 13:14
Strangely enough, I have just had a call from a bloke purporting to be a wee shepherd living in a croft in the Cheviots.

He was telling me that as we spoke, the black helicopters were arriving, disgorging men in NBC suits and American accents, mumbling something about Iraq and weapons of mass destruction sites.

Now that says something about the power of Pprune.

(mind you, the voice did sound suspiciously like that of my mate Jimmy from the Dog and Duck in Haltwhistle)

:cool: :ok: :cool:

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2005, 13:17
No that's a Grapnoit unit probably from a Krendle class cruiser of the Federation of Tharg. Certain problems regarding radial dispersion of Tchai energy mean these shouldn't be deployed in this sector, though use restriction is generally dependent on orders from a Qwil, or Trenbat. (1)

If I were you, I'd stay away from this and report it to the Seventh Council via a Grindle Connection. That should facilitate a safe recovery.

Oh and next time, put something like a coin on it so that we can judge the scale. :8

(have you posted in AH&N? They're all extra :8 )

(1) ref: Janes Guide to Interstallar weaponry Vol XXXVKI

Jerricho
It looks like the fake arm (sans chainsaw) that Ash made for himself in "Evil Dead" after his went bad, and he cut it off.

Groovy.

Wingswinger
How close to Otterburn range was your friend when he took the photo? My first impression is that it is MoD practice ordnance, the light blue colour indicates that. However, it is definitely not an old 4lb practice bomb neither is it a the more modern 3kg practice bomb or even a 28lb practice bomb. Possibly a Lepus flare? never seen one of those so I don't know.

tony draper
3rd Apr 2005, 13:18
Hmmm looks like one of they Duranndal (sp?) anti runway munitions, been any Frenchies running about the Cheviots?
:uhoh:
Something is afoot.

Jerricho
3rd Apr 2005, 13:19
Something is afoot

It's an arm I tells ya.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Apr 2005, 13:26
Onan

A Trenbat is only a third level Sprigflindle and therefore unable to issue the orders necessary for the defrunculation of the Grapnoit unit.

Just grab it with a wet flonbagulum and drop it into the nearest spoonkrabble toaster.

Any Thargle should know that....

effortless
3rd Apr 2005, 13:39
Interesting but what I wonder is the purpose of the two blowback runningbacks. Is that a bifurcated swept back camshaft or is this a later version?

acbus1
3rd Apr 2005, 15:46
bifurcated
:confused: Is that the same as f****d, only done twice over?

In which case trifurcated must be really, really, really f****d.

And quadrifid must be............well, you get the idea.

Is'nt JB educatiominal. :cool:

Ian Corrigible
3rd Apr 2005, 15:49
Looks like a de-finned SS11. Used to equip British Army Scout helos before the Lynx/TOW combination took over the AT role.

I/C

HowlingWind
3rd Apr 2005, 16:07
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/howlingwind/tommy_lee_jones103.jpg
"See? I toldya I hit it..."
Mark IV cleanup crew activated, sir.

Greenie from Hell
3rd Apr 2005, 16:59
I've been informed by our resident "anorak", that the object is as I/C stated, an AS-11.

Missile (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/collections/missiles/missile_info.cfm?missile_id=1)

What it was doing in the Cheviots is a different matter.
Maybe someone wanted to take pot shots at Newcastle, and misjudged the distance!

El Grifo
3rd Apr 2005, 17:37
Well I know Draper has made a few enemies over the years, but an AS-11 aimed at geordieland is mibbee carrying a grudge a little too far !

:ok: :cool: :ok:

Hey Sprocket, right track, but wrong scent :-

http://www.airwar.ru/weapon/aat/as11.html

ExSimGuy
3rd Apr 2005, 17:43
Who'd waste a 150 quid missile on Newcastle :confused:

Now if that was Brighton or Hove you could get FlyPups or Big Red;)

(just strap me into Martin Baker . . .)

El Grifo
3rd Apr 2005, 17:57
Sheeeit !! at 150 a pop I wouldn't mind buying a few myself.

There are one or two feckers around here that would benefit from the rapid insertion of AS-11 up the jacksie.

Can you get them on ebay perchance ?

:ok: :cool: :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2005, 20:41
I read a book about the Falklands once and there was a scene where some Brtitish troops fired off a missile and as he did so, the soldier quipped "Well there goes another fukcing bungalow".

Apparently they both cost about the same.

ShyTorque
3rd Apr 2005, 20:54
Does one get anything back on the empties?

effortless
3rd Apr 2005, 22:23
??????: ???????
:uhoh: ??????: ???????
See it was Grandpa wot dun it!:uhoh:

Edit: I guess we can't use cyrillic.

Wot the quote said was: Strana Frantsia Or country France.:*

Missile (http://www.airwar.ru/weapon/aat/as11.html[/url)

HowlingWind
3rd Apr 2005, 22:44
Let me get this straight: the Frogs are firing missiles at the Geordies? :hmm:

Was Saturday's rugby game not insult enough?

tony draper
3rd Apr 2005, 23:03
Ivan was willing to spend two warheads on Newcastle, one has seen his target list.
Very generous with his warheads Ivan intended to be.
Remember also we had proper thermo nukes in those days,none of these sissy big girl blouse piddling little 200 kiloton jobbies Bah!!!,we may as well fill those Trident warheads with feckin rubber bullets,I ask you, 200 bloody kilotons, dammed luvvies have even infiltrated thermo nuclear war.

Blacksheep
4th Apr 2005, 01:38
It was most likely aimed at Hartlepool HowlingWind The Ffrench aren't noted for getting anything right first time.

Mind you, a near miss that took out tony draper would no doubt have been a satisfactory substitute. His views are well known in Parisian cafe society...

diginagain
4th Apr 2005, 07:38
You might find your answer in the Military section.

ORAC
4th Apr 2005, 07:45
As I recall the nasty ones were not the ones aimed at me (working in an AD bunker) but the ones aimed at the North Sea. The plan was to drop a line of 5Mt warheads offshore causing a radioactive tidal wave to inundate the whole of East Anglia (and the UK and USA bases) as well as taking out the east coast ports.

Tell the kids these days and they would not believe you....

tony draper
4th Apr 2005, 08:06
they would never have got past our chaps Mr ORAC a few red tops up their arses and thats all she wrote meanwhile our V force lads would have been on their way to Moscow with bad news,it was all worked out, we did live in exiting times then didn't we.
Tell the kids now and they wuddn't believe yer indeed.
I blame the EU.
:rolleyes:

Parapunter
4th Apr 2005, 08:08
It's a falangee. Thought that would have been spotted ages ago:rolleyes:

flapsforty
4th Apr 2005, 08:26
grifo, as you well know, either here or on MIL.
Not both! ;)