PDA

View Full Version : Mad Trips

candoo
3rd Apr 2005, 10:38
Asked Friday to fly to Reno, Nevada for a 2 hour meeting on Wednesday. Basically it's a day return trip but bl00dy expensive!

Me body clock will be on overtime!

Any other stupid trips out there?

Rollingthunder
3rd Apr 2005, 11:13
Did Vancouver - Hong Kong - Vanocuver over a three day weekend once.

VP8
3rd Apr 2005, 12:54
Did Heathrow to Hong Kong and back same day a while back, a tadge tired when got back!!:zzz:

VEEPS

Final 3 Greens
3rd Apr 2005, 13:11
LHR/LAX/LHR

Total trip time 46 hours, time on ground 22 hours, meeting duration 5 hours :mad:

zed3
3rd Apr 2005, 18:12
Did an Amsterdam-London (747 jump)-New York , night stop , NewYork (Concorde)-London-Amsterdam once and also an Amsterdam-New York ,night stop, New York-Amsterdam for the last PanAm international flight , with upgrade to First .
Aaah the good old days . Mad? yup but I enjoyed it !

amanoffewwords
3rd Apr 2005, 19:59
Once did LHR-CPT on a Sunday evening - arrived Monday morning - went straight to a meeting - flew back CPT-JNB-LHR Tuesday evening after a second meeting talking about the same things of the first meeting - total contribution to the meetings approx 10-15 minutes - must have cost the Co. >£4000.

Another time went on Eurostar to Paris, fixed a PC at a bank while taxi was waiting outside, back on the same Eurostar, same seat, same attendant (in Premium First) about 1:15 after arriving. 20 mins from Waterloo boss calls on cellphone - guess where you're going tomorrow?..! Yep, P...

amofw

PAXboy
3rd Apr 2005, 21:03
Sunday morning: LHR ~ SFO, connect to SBA (Santa Barbara) for one night. Monday was back to SFO and night stop. Tuesday was drive to meeting in Santa Clara and back. This was a particularly enjoyable birthday...

Wednesday: SFO ~ HKG get in late and arrive in client office on Thursday feeling just fantastic after doing all of that in coach coz the b@st@rds would not pay for club. :*

Engineering manager greets me, "We thought we'd save a day, so we have brought all the supplier presentations forward by 24 hours." I have very little memory of what the suppliers told us about their products! Fortunately, I was there for a ten days before I came home. ALSO in coach. :{

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Pax Vobiscum
3rd Apr 2005, 21:48
Can't compete with any of those (thank goodness), but my bro' has twice been sent LHR to Oz return for 2-day meetings. On one of these occasions his schedule included: land MEL 16:00 (scheduled) dinner with client 18:00. Mad or what?

At one US-owned company at which I worked, it used to be a matter of great status as to which manager could clock up the largest number of flying hours. Some of them seemed to spend at least half their time in the air (at least the biz ran much more smoothly when they were out of contact). I regularly questioned the wisdom of this and pointed out that there were expensive video-conference facilities that were underused. Then Gulf War 1 started and suddenly video-conferencing was in vogue, as LHR was felt to be far too close to Baghdad for comfort.

Laugh? I nearly did ...

WHBM
4th Apr 2005, 09:18
Only partially related, but in the AAIB report on the US-operated Canadair Challenger business jet accident at Birmingham airport a while ago it was apparent that the aircraft had hopped round Florida picking execs up, then did the long transatlantic trip to Birmingham, arriving in the evening, and after what could have only been a short night and no more than a couple of hours at the company's office in Coventry, even if they started at 08.00, the same pax were heading back to the US at noon the next day.

Seemed a huge cost for very little business time.

I've done a few mad trips myself but nothing like this. Once sent a secretary on a round trip Gatwick to Heraklion, returning on the same charter aircraft, to get a legal document signed by a director who was on holiday there, and who came to the airport to do it. Actually at about £100 it was quite cheap.

The SSK
4th Apr 2005, 09:23
I once had, as in *had*, to get from Brussels to London before the banks closed on a Friday. I had an open ticket and rolled up at the airport expecting a flight about one, discovered I'd screwed up reading the timetable and there was nothing that would get me there in time, except an Antwerp departure about 75min later.

I checked out the taxi ranks for a price to Antwerp but they were exorbitant, so I asked at Avis and they came up with a price about 20% cheaper, so I took that.

Dropped the keys off at Avis Antwerp Airport 25 minutes later.

Had meetings on consecutive days in Athens and Belgrade. The only possible way to do it was to nightstop in Cairo.

Couldn't get a seat Brussels-Frankfurt for a 2-hour meeting, ended up travelling via Hamburg outbound and Munich on the way back.

Memetic
4th Apr 2005, 10:29
I have always wanted to try around the world in 80 hours (Not really that hard i guess.) or around as fast as possible.

Just on scheduled tickets.

Perhaps I should do it for charity - any sponsors out there...

CargoOne
4th Apr 2005, 11:53
Memetic

These days you can make LHR-SIN-EWR-LHR probably within ~50 hours or so, you just need to find a good reason...

pax britanica
4th Apr 2005, 19:49
EWR 0600 -Denver 0930(stapleton) meeting in Denver until 3 then Denver SFO and direct SFO-LHR overnight. Fell asleep before push back and woke over Birmingham

LHR-Joburg . Dep LHR in evening , meeting in Pretoria during day and back on same plane as I arrived on (upgraded to F both ways-rather nice)

LHR- Rio out tuesday evening back thursday noon

LHR-KL Out Thursday evening arrive Friday evening, leave KL saturday evening ( Could have been madder- dozy PA confused by the time diffs and 0005 departures etc actually booked me back on a flight leaving 2 hours after I got there

All symptons of late nineties telecoms industry madness -all deemed 'essential' at the time, on reflection not sure anything came of any of the meetings except more airmiles.
PB

Avman
4th Apr 2005, 22:04
Years ago, needing to get from BHX to BRU but not wanting to pay for the privilege, I flew BHX-PMI-AMS-BRU, all sectors totally free! Those were the good old days for us ATC chaps.

Globaliser
5th Apr 2005, 06:43
LHR-HKG on Friday night, HKG-LHR on Sunday night has become a bit of a routine over the last couple of years. Makes the two-night stops seem like a bit of a luxury. And to think that this is nothing to do with work, but is all supposedly leisure travel ...

Best trips that I heard about were those by the guy who had to do LHR-JFK on the early Concorde on Monday mornings, meet East Coast colleagues in the lounge until lunchtime, and then return to LHR on the late Concorde. Did this every week for a year, apparently.

wombat13
5th Apr 2005, 20:58
August 1997

Depart Singapore wednesday night, arrive london next morning. Caught the flight that evening back to Singapore, arrive 5.10PM Friday, in time for tea with the kids. Total time in London, 16 hours. Total time away from Singapore 41 hours.

Daft? Yep

Onan the Clumsy
7th Apr 2005, 14:19
Not aeroplane related, but when I was young and not so clumsy, I worked in London - my first job after Uni actually. I had this girlfriend who lived in France, but bear in mind this was 1982, so they were two fairly separate countries then, none of this living in La belle France and commuting into London for something enjoyably taxing but totally pointless in a faceless office overlooking the Bank of England.

Where was I? Oh yes, so I had it all worked out. I left work at 5pm ish Friday, got to Victoria for the 6pm boat train, spent the weekend in the arms of my lovely girlfriend, then the overnight boat train back to Blighty, arrive Victoria Monday 9am and back at my desk (with a big grin) for 9:30.

I managed it several times.

Oh to be young.