PDA

View Full Version : Pope John Paul II v Terry Schiavo

Speedpig
2nd Apr 2005, 23:14
The Pope has passed away RIP.
They could have kept him alive for a lot longer artificially like Terry Schiavo RIP.
So, my question to all who question the death of Mrs S is, who has the right to make that decision about the Pope?.
If his life could have been continued just like hers, surely no one has the right to end it, or not prolong it.
Terry Schiavo died as a result of her heart attack and IMHO should have been allowed to go then. She was not even aware of her own existence.

Charles Darwin
2nd Apr 2005, 23:26
I bet there is a forum for this....somewhere.:hmm:

SPFlyer
2nd Apr 2005, 23:27
Well, my question to you is......

...What the hell ( parden the pun..) has this got to do with aviation..??:confused:

Ontariotech
2nd Apr 2005, 23:36
It sounds like a rumor to me. This IS a rumor network....no? :p

Lost_luggage34
2nd Apr 2005, 23:39
Good question.

One has to draw the line somewhere - and yes, it is and can be a very emotive issue.

I personally think it comes down to two things ;

What the person wants - I.e. If said person has made express wishes not be kept alive artificially. If those wishes are legally binding then do as they wish without question.

If said person has made no such wishes or if it a sudden medical situtation (such as the lady in the US) I believe one must look at qualitiy of life.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am no medical expert. But the lady in the US had no REAL quality of life. She was not able to enjoy (yes, enjoy) the normal things that we all enjoy as part of a normal life. Going to the shops, having a crap, reading the paper.

She was not even able to be sufficiently aware of her surroundings in order to say - Enough is enough.

But who is brave enough to say pull the plug ? I don't think I would be. But in that situation I would want whoever was in charge of that decision to pull the plug .

I think I shall now go and make an appointment with my Solicitor. I mean that in all seriousness.

God rest JPII

Plastique
2nd Apr 2005, 23:40
A little back towards aviation..
A number of years ago I was investigating an incident concerning an A320 that had a fuel leak from an engine fuel filter housing and landed with zero indicated FOB. The APU flamed out due to fuel starvation just after the aircraft arrived at the gate.

The Pope was on board.

Divine intervention?

(I suppose the better time for intervention would have been the moment before the captain opened the crossfeed valve but better late than never)

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Apr 2005, 23:56
...and if the airplane had crashed and we ended up with a new pope you could have said...

...divine intervention

Unwell_Raptor
3rd Apr 2005, 00:00
Apparently the late Pope said that God diverted the bullet that was fired at him all those years ago.

If I were omnipotent omniscient and omnipresent I would have arranged for the bloke with the gun to step in front of a bus earlier that day.

Hey, nobody's perfect.

Lost_luggage34
3rd Apr 2005, 00:12
<edited>

Jerricho
3rd Apr 2005, 00:41
What crawled up your ass L_L? :rolleyes:

Run back to the "Questions" forum and stick you neck into the Heathrow thread and shoot your mouth off like a jackass.............just like you have here.

My apologies to everybody else.

Speedpig
3rd Apr 2005, 01:03
What the hell ( parden the pun..) has this got to do with aviation..??

Not a lot. But it is in a miscellaneous forum allowing free speech and comment which is how come you're allowed to express your views.
Anyway Pontius was a Pilate so did you get to roster him?

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2005, 03:00
You know what. I just typed up an answer for you #34, but I'll hold off and maybe post it tomorrow instead.

Lost_luggage34
3rd Apr 2005, 03:14
Sorry to disapoint but I will post today.

Glad you both got that off your respective chests.

Free speech - long may it survive !

Jerricho
3rd Apr 2005, 03:18
Sorry to disapoint but I will post today.

Good. Head over to the Questions forum and post your reply there while you're at it. or was that just exercising your free speach again..............albeit totally uninformed and making yourself look quite foolish. Thank you.

Back to the topic at hand

May they both rest in peace.

Lost_luggage34
3rd Apr 2005, 03:27
Fair call Jerricho & Onan.

I apologise for being a tad over zealous.

Jerricho you have had my response. Onan - I apologise also.

LL34.

Let's move on folks.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2005, 04:28
No probs. I think it's been a tough day for a lot of people.

...and in the spirit of harmony I deleted the picture :ok: