PDA

View Full Version : Freight Jobs

ABO944
2nd Apr 2005, 17:22
Hi all!

Probably a silly question as i'm not the only one in this position, but ...

I have just finished my CPL/ME/IR and have an MCC course booked soon.

Im looking for that first job and i'm willing to do anything! (well, within reason)!

Thought i'd post in this forum as I wouldn't mind a freight job, so if there's anyone in the know who could give me a contact or a hint for that first job I would be most grateful! Dont have any contacts, which I think is the main problem getting the first job.?

Dont mind working any hour god sends or flying something 50 years older than myself!!

:O

Any help much appreciated ..... do I sound desperate?

:) I am !

flyingman
2nd Apr 2005, 21:07
I would imagine that if you have just finished your CPL/IR you have only a few hundred hours.

To get a job in freight or a passenger carrier you will need considerably more and jet time at that. I know guys with 2000 hours of multi piston time and still cant get in anywhere. Its that age old problem of how do you get jet time if no one will give you a chance. You need to make contacts, its the only way at the moment.
Also you need to be sending out CVs on a monthly basis, following up with a phone call, find out who the chief pilot is and speak to him. Ask what the Company require, get yourself known to him. You never know, if you keep on, you may get a break without the hours....but you will need to be extremely lucky.

I suggest you go get yourself an instructor rating and build some experience and start building a network of contacts. I instructed for 3 and 1/2 years and built 2600 hours doing it. Poor pay but good fun and good experience.

The whole thing about these jobs is having contacts, its virtually impossible to get a position in a Company without a recommendation.

Good luck, and by the way, once you have got there it is fantastic and worth the let downs and frustrations on the way up. So stick with it, you will get there if you keep your determination and dont give up.