PDA

View Full Version : Car emissions test required to drive on airfield!

ShyTorque
2nd Apr 2005, 10:50
Last year, in order to obtain the newly introduced vehicle permit for a certain Midlands airport (it's not far from Nottingham, but nearer to Derby), in addition to producing a valid MOT certificate, a further vehicle inspection by an on-site inspector, was required.

Last year, my car's MOT certificate was just two days old, so I asked why a separate inspection was required. I was told, in no uncertain terms, as if I was stupid for asking, that a light bulb might blow after the MOT test. I agreed with that the logic of that statement and asked if a vehicle inspection was therefore needed every day, to which I received no answer.

This year, blow me down, they want an "emissions certificate" for vehicles less than 3 years old and therefore no requirement for an MOT certificate!!

Is car exhaust pollution a problem on airfields? Are they doing this for aircraft too? Or is that next year?

Job creation scheme or what!! :rolleyes:

Golden Rivet
2nd Apr 2005, 12:05
CAP 642 Chapter 4

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP642.PDF

cessna l plate
2nd Apr 2005, 12:22
CAP 642 refers. However, under CAP 642 an Apron Vehicle Permit can be issued against an MOT certificate less than 14 days old.

Furthermore, as I assume we are talking about EMA here, as run by MAN, then ask about sef certification. With this, you get a stamp from the airport, and every 12 months bang it down on the appropriate form and you get an AVP for 12 months. As long as you are having your vehicle regularly serviced, this is the only criteria they should stipulate.

However, be aware that should you fail a spot check on the apron, it can be taken away from you, and you are back to 4 month inspections from the Airport.

I speak as the transport manager for a company at MAN, and dealing with 642 is part of my job. It sounds like you ran into someone at this midlands airport who doesn't really know the rules. If in doubt check.

PM me if you want any further advice!!!