PDA

View Full Version : Help for a mate - Kinshasha

Captain Pheremone
2nd Apr 2005, 06:29
Hey guys ....10 seconds of your time please......... a mate of mine who is not web connected is ferrying an aircraft (VFR) from SA to Kinshasha and would appreciate a quick hint or tip on best routes in, avoid areas e.g.Zimboonia or anything else helpful.

Gracias amigos.

cavortingcheetah
2nd Apr 2005, 07:49
:) Buenos dias, El Capitano,

So long ago that I thought of doing that sort of thing. My information would be positively dangerous.
However, for what it might be worth; I would drift up to the control tower at FALA, by appointment, of course, and find out from them the sort of Flight Plan last, or usually, filed by pilots heading in that general direction. VFR or IFR, a SAM goes a long way.
The expensive option would be a Jep Kit, but I am sure that you know that and that they are the best.
I would not take a handgun. A packet of contraceptives is always useful. It packs down to nothing and yet each one can hold a heck of a lot of water (rubber bands too) if you have to go walkies out of the bush. Don't let your missus find a three pack down to two becasue you've been experimenting. What!
Doubt that this helps but, 'good to the last drop', as Maxwell House used to trumpet.
Regards. :eek:

2nd Apr 2005, 07:50
From where in SA? What range does the aerie have?
You said VFR, so I assume its a small aerie. Why not fly up to Maun, Ondangwa, then on to Luanda and then its Kinshassa.
Or something along that line.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Apr 2005, 09:13
Pietersburg-Livingstone-Lubumbashi-Kinshasa may work if you don't have much range. Need to check on that. Not much problem overflying Zim but you must get a clearance, as for all others, and keep it on you. Only real problem is the Zimboon controllers getting bored and asking you for radial and distance from arbitrary VORs every three minutes.

Watch out for CBs around Bulawayo.

Captain Pheremone
2nd Apr 2005, 15:09
Well thanx very much so far....I will pass it on to me mate.

Have a cold one on me.

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Apr 2005, 10:17
Nice one SRT, another possibility, is hitting Ndola, rather than Lubumbashi. Ive always had much better and expedient service @ FLND...good luck....:ok:

haha...and before I forget...if for some or other silly (yet possible) reason some buffooon up there decides you gotta stay in jail for the night, give me a Zambian one before a congolese one any day. Trust me on this one....hehe

flyboy2
3rd Apr 2005, 10:21
You didn't state whether your aerie will require Avgas or JetA1 ?
That makes a huge difference ! As does it's range !

With JetA1 you can route from Johannesburg via Kasane, Ndola,
Lubumbashi & if your range is sufficient , then on to Kinshasa.
There was JetA1 at Kananga last year[ almost halfway].

Avgas is very scarce- so you'd better check very carefully & be
very sure that it's really available on arrival !

The Medical flights know how to obtain this info.

Good luck.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Apr 2005, 12:57
Pirate

I put Lubumbashi down as the distance is a bit less for the last leg to Kinshasa. As you say, rather overnight in Ndola and hit the Hong Kong or one of the other restaurants for a few beers and a curry but if range is a factor.......

How is the Nasneena these days? They used to do a fair curry buffet but finding your way back to your room while vrot was a bit of a problem in that rabbit warren.

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Apr 2005, 13:31
Sorry SRT, cant help you with a recent update on the Nasneena, got to Ndola bout 14 months ago last...unfortunately, didnt get into town, but did get to spend a very lovely night locked up in a cell on the airport. :hmm:

Coleman Myers
9th Apr 2005, 11:33
Captain Pheremone - Zim actually not that bad for a tech stop - ALLIANCE always help with clearances and fuel - most direct route for your man and the curry is hotter !.