PDA

View Full Version : what's your favourite olive?

Captain Lampshade
1st Apr 2005, 18:31
Having been introduced to Olives by a fellow pruner, I am on a crusade to find the best Olive.
Now let me be the first to quash any posts that start 'Well I knew an Olive in........ ' I'm talking about those little small things that can be eaten on their own or in a Greek salad.
To date there is nothing that can come close to a Kalamata black, that is unless you know different.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Apr 2005, 18:52
Green olives stuffed with anchovy fillets.

Oooohhhh, the gout.......:mad:

Onan the Clumsy
How about a big black cockroach?

Oh wait a minute, that's not an olive, it just LOOKS LIKE one.

Olives: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

redsnail
I was going to suggest that one. :D

timmcat
1st Apr 2005, 19:01
http://members.lycos.co.uk/busesfanclub/hpbimg/anna3.jif

Nani
1st Apr 2005, 19:05
You must try Bella Di Cerignola. Large,meaty green olive raised by few in Italy as estate olives and you'll never touch another.

sprocket
1st Apr 2005, 19:28
.... Black Spanish

Nopax,thanx
1st Apr 2005, 19:34
Be careful now, Popeye's watching youse!!;)

The SSK
1st Apr 2005, 20:55
Don't ask me what species but they are called 'olives du roi', great big green ones marinated in vermouth and minced onions and herbs.

And they cost more than the rest of my lunch put together.

HandspringGuy
1st Apr 2005, 20:59
...olives are like chewy sea-water :yuk:

PilotsPal
1st Apr 2005, 21:12
No, no, foolish child! You're thinking of oysters.

Bre901
1st Apr 2005, 21:28
Three words : Vertes de Lucques (http://www.bienmanger.com/2R144_Domaine_Lacassagne_More_About_Lucques_Olives.html) (from Languedoc)

Only drawback : they are fragile and must be kept in brine otherwise they turn brown (and :yuk: ) very quiclky

Rollingthunder
1st Apr 2005, 21:44
Facinating how many varieties of olives there are. Like most all of them. In particlar black and green in olive oil and feta cheese and the big green ones stuffed with onion, or black ones stuffed with pimentos. You can see I don't pay much attention to the names. A nice accompiament to a glass of whiskey. If you have a dry, tickley throat eat a couple of olives that are packed in oil. Olives with the stone still in are the tastiest.

tall and tasty
1st Apr 2005, 21:50
Has to be Kalamata olives large and black and full of flavour either marinated or just in virgin olive oil

TnT:p

Jerricho
1st Apr 2005, 21:53
One floating in a martini ;)

boeingbus2002
1st Apr 2005, 22:42
There are these Tabasco Olives..hmmmmm! Strong flavour with an after kick.
Maybe a bit offensive to olive conoseuirs (sp), but i love em!

fernytickles
1st Apr 2005, 22:46
The olives in Crete, not long off the tree, marinaded in lemon juice and garlic :) keeps the nasty spirits away and tastes fantastic :D

Atlas Shrugged
2nd Apr 2005, 13:23
Stuffed!

http://www.punchstock.com/image/corbis/2936268/thumb72/toe0043b.jpg

brockenspectre
2nd Apr 2005, 14:07
I remember being surprised to learn that black olives are merely green olives allowed to get old hehehe :ok: I love olives and the best I ever had were thrown in a cheap salad at the Dolphin Reef lunch place in Elat, Israel! ::eyeroll:: typical eh? As for every day use, I have started buying the small cans (Fragata brand) which come either stuffed with garlic or with pimiento or with jalapeno ... all deeeeeeeelish and the can size is a perfect snack size :ok:

airship
2nd Apr 2005, 14:49
Graphically expanding on Nopax's post...

http://www.mtcnet.net/~bierly/1band.jpg

Jerricho
2nd Apr 2005, 14:53
So much to be said about that picture.........so little bandwidth.

Ug-ug-ug-ug!

airship
2nd Apr 2005, 15:00
Getting windy around here... ;)

1DC
2nd Apr 2005, 17:46
Two floating in an even bigger martini.....

Lost_luggage34
2nd Apr 2005, 18:27
The brass olive at the end of the pipe entering my newly installed radiator as of today.

It compresses the pipe slightly allowing a watertight connection.

As for the rest of them - those variously coloured objects paraded in glasses of undrinkable substances, well I have no time for them. I think they look rude, taste disgusting.

TheStormyPetrel
2nd Apr 2005, 18:53
I didn't like olives until about a year ago. A client took us to an outstanding restaurant and was astonished that I didn't like olives. She gave me failsafe instructions for liking them.

I was told to put an olive in my mouth (it was a quality Kalamata olive large and black and full of flavour like TnT said, and was soaked in something) and roll it around in my mouth gently, taking my time. She said I'd know when to bite into it, and I did. It was amazing and truly delightful.

So now I love good olives (I am fussy), however I have not yet learnt to enjoy the little green ones.

Nani, I think I'll try your recommendation (Bella Di Cerignola).

ABO944
13th Apr 2005, 08:54
I used to hate olives until I moved to Portugal.

Now I eat 'em like peanuts!

Problem is when going for a No.2 it doesnt touch the sides anymore .......

:yuk:

Sorry about that, hope you enjoyed your breakfasts!

:}

The best ones are the large black beasts from the fat lady. Only 2 euros for a kilo!! Lovely.

Have you ever tried them sprinkled on your cornflakes?

eal401
13th Apr 2005, 09:04
Used to hate green olives until I had them stuffed with anchovies! Delicious!

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Apr 2005, 09:15
Boeingbus

Would one perhaps know of a place in Africa where these Tabasco olives may be acquired?

One drools in anticip

...ation!:ok:

Dances with Boffins
13th Apr 2005, 09:46
Boffins' cat likes olives. Particularly fond of plain black ones, but will also meow for greens stuffed with anchovy. Bizzare animal.

Me? Big fat greek ones stuffed with chilli. [Cat doesn't like these at all].

PilotsPal
13th Apr 2005, 10:24
Ffor those who really love anchovy-stuffed olives, I Camisa & Sons in Old Compton Street, London W1 (a very traditional Italian grocery/wine merchant/delicatessen) does these absolutely gorgeous olives - oily, very garlicky, lots of anchovy. Totally addictive although one's companion has to eat them too.

Wonderful cooked too.

teeteringhead
13th Apr 2005, 10:31
A good line from "The Rat Pack" which I saw in London recently.

The Dean Martin character - mixing a martini: "I like olives" ...... pause ........ "and Olive likes mine!"

SilentHandover
13th Apr 2005, 15:39
For a fantastic green olive you cannot beat Boscaiola Olives, my supplier retired last year though so looking for a new supplier every day!!!

tart1
13th May 2005, 20:39
I have got to revive this thread because I have discovered a very nice way of preparing olives.

I have only been doing this for a few weeks now but it is very good: take a jar/tin/vacuum pack of plain olives (pitted or unpitted, according to taste) drain brine off and rinse in a colander/sieve. Place into a screw-top glass jar and add as many peeled and halved garlic cloves as desired. Also add fresh/dried bay leaves and dried or fresh chillis. Cover with best quality olive oil and leave for at least 24 hours to marinate.

The olives are amazing, the garlic can be used in cooking and the oil also is a very good flavour for cooking or salad dressings.

The trouble is that you can't buy olives quite like that in this country - or at least nowhere I know of!

I am intending to try it with fresh olives this autumn. :ok:

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 20:46
Mail order Boscaiola Olives

http://www.limoncello.co.uk/acatalog/Limoncello_Olives___Antipasti_26.html

tart1
13th May 2005, 21:00
Ok, you can buy them there but mine are pretty good actually (and pretty good value too!). And you can personalise them to your own requirements.

The next thing is to try other additives - anchovies, other herbs, etc. :ok:

I'll send you some when I get my fresh crop in October/November.

IB4138
13th May 2005, 21:43
You can't beat Olive who drinks in the Waggon and Horses.

Very entertaining lady when sober and even better after a few!:ok:

Rainboe
13th May 2005, 22:45
RollingT- just spent a fortune on that site! Kalamata Blacks do it for me!

tall and tasty
14th May 2005, 00:15
Rainboe

As my previous post I will agree with that Kalamata Blacks do it for me!

but you have not lived until you have sat on a beach near Kalamata and eaten the olives in a tavarna with all the trimmings!

Sheer heaven

TnT ;)

SilentHandover
14th May 2005, 08:42
RollingT thank you very much:ok:

RiskyRossco
14th May 2005, 09:01
. . . . o o o o l l i i i i i v v e s s s s!

Nope, I'm very easy to please. . . make mine Kalamata too, T & T !!

Unless one revisits one's hedonistic martini days. . then there was the 'Green Period'

Reading previous on tavernas, etc. I'd spend all day in same, should I ever frequent the places mentioned.
Having a chef's palate can be such a drag.
:{

Mr C Hinecap
14th May 2005, 21:23
Gaeta olives from, wait for it.....Gaeta - on the coast between Rome and Naples. I have even seen them in Waitrose and they are rather good - quite small and more subtle than some of the 'showy' olives you get.

Carry0nLuggage
14th May 2005, 22:55
Kalamata.

Now I'll just have to raid my supply after all this chat. There's a chap with a stall in the market on Saturday with a better selection of olives than Waitrose, I can just about make a tub last the week.

(Other olives are available)

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2005, 15:28
Dried black olives on a hot afternoon with a crisp, cold Pils to wash them down.

Oh, yes..... While watching my team whip our traditional rivals 75-14!:E :ok:

dazdaz
15th May 2005, 17:23
I've always had a crush on the Olive who went out with Popeye, the sailor man