PDA

View Full Version : Solenta ATR ops. Gen. question

Cap Loko
1st Apr 2005, 17:53
Dear Fellow Aviators,

I'm considering applying for Solenta's ATR operation (if at all possible) and therefore would like to hear from Solenta ATR crew like how is to fly for them, are you happy about your work conditions, pro's/con's etc.
I have read previous treads about Solenta but more interested to hear from crew itself.
I have flown in West Africa on the Beech 1900, so quite familiar in that region.

Thanks in advance,
Loko

Shrike200
1st Apr 2005, 19:21
Er, I take it you have some spare cash laying around? Maybe invest it, or something like that!

Sorry, I just had to comment! I have only seen the Abidjan crew house though, so I wouldn't be much help. It's very nice as contract places-to-stay go (VERY VERY nice if you've done a few ICRC/UN contracts!), with a pool, nice rooms, and apparently with a good internet connection, tv etc. This is as long as the locals aren't looting it. Solenta says that security has been beefed up - I'd rather leave the crew to comment on that! They seem to fly twice a day, or something like that, buzzing around Freetown, Dakar, Abidjan, Roberts etc. There are crews in Libreville as well, but I've never been there. I have no idea what the salary is like, but it would have to be pretty special to be able to justify the initial outlay. Anyway, thats just an outsiders viewpoint, perhaps some of the crew can give a better picture.

Language edited

ty2002
2nd Apr 2005, 10:23
solenta is a good company to work for.
the crew is well looked after in terms of accomadation, transport and dstv, internet, maids, cooks etc..
we live very comfortably.
unfortunatly there is not much security to speak of in place at any of our bases after near fatal incidents both in abidjan and libreville.
managment have been promising security gates in libreville for almost 2 months now since one of our crew was attacked in his room with a knife and shot at. thankfully the gun mis-fired. still no new security measures in place here.

the flying is good. your hours differ depending on what base you at but you can work on an average on 60 - 80 hours a month.
the flight operation is very proffesional in terms of SOP's, adherence to flight and duty periods, carrying more than sufficient amounts of fuel and never flying over weight.

dont know where you are experience wise but if you are looking to make money you should look else where. with the co-pilot salary and your initial layout on the rating you basically work for free for the first year.
the captain salary is not great either. far below what the other atr operators are earning around the world.

i would recommend that you apply at solenta but for the 1900 since you are already rated on it. we have 3 on contracts around the world at the moment. u will earn basically the same salary without having to hand over 100 000 rand.

Cap Loko
4th Apr 2005, 19:06
Thanks a lot for your comments, much appreciated.

Loko

poorwanderingwun
5th Apr 2005, 05:56
GRIZZLY
Was that capt salary a typo ? $1040 as a capt ? Tell me I'm dreaming....or that there's a $300 per diem flight duty pay...
Who ? as an experienced professional pilot with a recognised type rating would get out of bed for $1040 a month :*

And for a company that ignores the security needs of its employees.... and how on earth does it breed loyalty such as that of Ty2002 ????
Ty .... they don't deserve you :ok:

Airforce1
5th Apr 2005, 20:39
Cap Loko,
Are you an SA boy,European or African.
Sure you may have done work in Africa but where do you want end or further your career?

*If you are a contract boy at heart then Solenta can offer you a stable job(even if dodging an Ivorian bullet or two).
*If you a south african then it would be better to attempt to get into Nationwide if possible and spend your money on a overpriced B737 conversion of 150k there, then on an overpriced ATR conversion with Solenta.
*If you a European with JAA licence and looking to log up quick ATR command time before heading back north for a better life-join the club.

Many a Solenta pilot would not mind heading Nationwide way but in reality,a person cannot be expected to pay $15000 to get a job on a ATR and then 2 years down the line pay R120 000 to get a job on B737.(enough chirps on PPRUNE to go down this road again). Not to shoot down Nationwide (even though seems the only people they attracting now are rich inexperienced pilots).Best hopes with SA work now lying with Comair(who taking all Nationwide experinced pilots),1Time and SAA bonds.
If you have cash to spend: use it wisely,

As for Solenta,not a bad company-just be prepared to dance a little for the client.As how much you prepared to dance will determine how long you stay with Solenta-sad story! but the truth.Some of us will teach Arthur Murray a thing or two:\
Others just sit in the corner and hum and still get the job done

You've read all the gossip before on this site.What else is there to say?:confused:

Cap Loko
6th Apr 2005, 17:26
AF1, Thanks for your info. I am an European and I'm just interested in flying the ATR, stay some time here and then move on.

GB and PWW, I believe the Capt Salary ends up at about US$4500,- a month (your per diems add up to this amount).

Everyone, again thanks for your info.

Basjan
12th Apr 2005, 09:36
TY2002,

Can you give me an idea what the minimum hours required are by Solenta, or who I can contact? I've sent them a couple of emails, but they just ignore me...:(

ty2002
12th Apr 2005, 10:30
minimum requirements for co-pilot on the ATR is 1000 hours total time and ATP subjects. as far as i know the 1900 minimums are the same.

For the van you need to be rated and have a comm but no hour requirements.

chief pilot is Andre White ([email protected])
you could email it to him or go in and see him at our offices in fourways.

hope that answers your question

Basjan
12th Apr 2005, 11:56
Thanks, it does!:8