PDA

View Full Version : Eastern's & Sunstate.. join the rating rip off

Shagtastic
1st Apr 2005, 15:53
Got an email from mentioned airlines about their 'review of pilot recruitment' and in order to meet their overall pilot recruitment needs you will now be screwed for a Dash8 rating.. 'following industry practice'

Not only does this email read extremely arrogantly I can not see the logic in this move. How many pilots do the 2 outfits hire each year and if so how much is it going to shave off their training budget?.. not much really.

Given the cost of living in Sydney and the piss poor pay Easterns pay is it worth it to 'invest' in DHC8 rating. It would take years to recoup that back.

Two once decent? companies shafted yet again by greedy accountants /management.

Shaggy

Chris Higgins
2nd Apr 2005, 01:49
Shaggy...you only become a "victim" if you pay. I never paid for training in my fourteen years of living here in the USA where all of this was supposed to have started.

Interestingly, the NTSB cited pay for training as a contributing factor in a Jestream crash in Hibbing, Minnesota in 1995. Many insurance companies are taking a very dim view of PFT and are not supporting it.

Most of the former PFT operators are out of business now, and most regional affiliates in this country have pretty much given up on it, realising the difficulty and cost of upgrading applicants who have lower than industry average experience; a by-product of PFT.

Captain Can't
2nd Apr 2005, 02:11
Shaggy...you only become a "victim" if you pay
I don't think this is an accurate statement.
What about the guys at the bottom of the GA ranks who just get stuck because there is nowhere to go?? Or they can't afford to get out? they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't... but i'd like to think everything will turn out roses :) :rolleyes:

:ugh:
FWIW, i think this is being covered in the "qantaslink" thread
Cheers all!

Chris Higgins
2nd Apr 2005, 02:55
Do we blame drug dealers?

Do we blame drug addicts?

If you treat the addict, the dealer goes out of business.

If you were able to stop the supply, you wouldn't have addicts.

I, and most everyone I have known has been at the bottom of G/A ranks. Whether I remember Tillair in Alice Springs, Air Mt Isa or flying 'round and 'round in circles in a Cessna 152 in PMQ, I can say this honestly: I never worked for free, and I enjoyed every minute of it!

I have been flying since 1983 and I have never been unemployed for more than a week. Even working as a tradesman's assistant and running off to do the odd scenic flight was fun. Working in the hangar gave me invaluable insight to systems too.

We live in a "McDonald's" society.

"I'll take a Dash 8 rating and an order of fries to go please...and make it snappy!"

Going Boeing
2nd Apr 2005, 03:17
I think that it's time that AIPA contacts the Insurance companies that Qantas Group uses and find out their views on PFT. If they are uncomfortable with it then Qantas may want to rethink their position because you never want to give an insurance company an escape clause. GB