PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother

Eastwest Loco
1st Apr 2005, 13:21
Just as an aside to the serious issues and personal interests that are expressed within these esteemed halls, enter keyhole.com into your addy line, download the trial version, and be very very scared!

I was talking to a friend in a trivia room, asked for her address in the US, loaded it and could tell her what the surrounding street names where, the colour of her roof, and that she had a white station wagon parked in her drive.

I also did a scan on the address of a person I bought some parts from my 300ZX for, also in the States and could see the parts car parked in the back yard.

If you need to try a starter scan, go for 3000 Paradise Road, Las Vegas Nevada. That will slam you to ground on OParadise Road. Then zoom out and you will see the LV Hilton and from there even do a fly by down the strip once you get used to it.

This is seriously good but scary technology.

Take a look at McCarran field too - you can find the mini boneyard on the extension of the strip.

Totally off normal topics but I feel you guys and girls may enjoy it and be able to get a good look at major airports.

O'Hare is awesome!!

Best all.

EWL

Captain.Q
1st Apr 2005, 14:15
I am totally amazed that this type of detailed information is available over the internet post 911.Any lunatic can use the information for all sorts of activity.

Mainframe
1st Apr 2005, 23:27
Go to your video store and get "Enemy of the State".

This technology is real, this movie has some interesting examples of
electonic surveillance, both from satellite and the cellular phone
network.

(Your phone is constantly communicating with all in-range cells
and engages in 2way chat to establish your position and for you,
to find the strongest nearby cell for your phone.)

Remember to turn your phone off before you go somewhere you maybe shouldn't,
to do something you maybe shouldn't.

This forensic technology helped police in Sydney a while back to nail the pack rapists in the Chullora area,
cell phone useage confirmed locations etc.

Technology has given Big brother some very clever tools intended for the fight against evil,
and we are no longer always transparent as we go about our daily lives.

If we are law abiding shouldn't worry us, except for the invasion of privacy,
but ultimately the greater good should be served.

Again, the movie is great action, good thriller with low level sci fi,
and gives you a disturbing insight into intel capabilities.

TheNightOwl
1st Apr 2005, 23:38
Mainframe - a perfectly valid reply, but you leave one important question unanswered, viz, "Who defines the 'greater good', and how it is best served?"

I'm not at all sure that any one answer will suit all cases, therefore I have an inherent distrust of the concept, however tecnically proficient, 'cos some evil sod will always find a way to abuse a system!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:ok:

Eastwest Loco
2nd Apr 2005, 08:06
In areas that Keyhole covers, one would be a little wary of having an affair unless you had a spare spot in the garage.

Hi honey - I'm home - and who owns the blue station wagon that was parked here yesterday?????:ouch:

Best all

EWL

Ultralights
2nd Apr 2005, 08:38
it would be interesting to know how regularly the data and images are updated!!! will it show my house as it is today, or a few yrs ago? or last week?

Eastwest Loco
2nd Apr 2005, 09:20
Unknown Ultra

However every time I have locked in on the Las Vegas Hilton to show friends and staff - a day or so between each - the traffic pattern has changed as has the time of day indicated by the shadows.

I guess it would be diffeent from region to region.

Best regards

EWL