PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for Osama Bin Laden

Rollingthunder
1st Apr 2005, 13:31
So, how's the search going? Been a few years now hasn't it?

Perhaps you should schedule an episode on "America's Most Wanted". Or provide a Crimestoppers number. Maybe some bloodhounds should be deployed. How about "Dog, The Bounty Hunter". Come on now, no one's really looking are they?

Jerricho
1st Apr 2005, 14:17
The signs are there that he's still around.

I heard they were looking for "Bed Linen" on the second floor of Debenhams :E

Capn Notarious
1st Apr 2005, 14:18
Will he be discovered in a laden bin?

BillHicksRules
1st Apr 2005, 14:23
Dear all,

Why find him?

He serves a better purpose on the loose.

Cheers

BHR

cyclicmicky
1st Apr 2005, 14:36
Maybe the Americans did get him in the cave when they blew it up, and nobody is saying anything to keep his sicko's carrying on with their murderous activities in the beleif he is still running the ship!!
You never know!!
:E

airship
1st Apr 2005, 14:46
If it was an original film title, we'd already be at The Hunt For Osama Bin Laden XIV... :zzz:

BTW, I betcha the Pope knows where he is...but he's not talking. :uhoh:

BillHicksRules
1st Apr 2005, 14:49
Airship,

That was not nice and you know it.

BHR:eek: :eek: :eek:

FLCH
1st Apr 2005, 16:12
Maybe the movie should be : OSAMA BIN LONG GONE...the hunt goes on starring Robert Blake and OJ Simpson..

El Grifo
1st Apr 2005, 18:19
What hunt for Osama Bin Laden ?

PaperTiger
1st Apr 2005, 19:49
BHR spot on again ;)

Say the US did find OBLadee, I see two outcomes - both bad:
a) he is umm.. fatally injured during the capture attempt
b) he is successfully captured.

In both cases one might expect an immediate and significant increase in jihadi attacks, either to avenge their "martyr" or to try to free him.
I'd choose a) as the lesser of two evils, but would much prefer to let him fade away in some Pakistani/Afghan backwater.

BALIX
1st Apr 2005, 20:18
Well they might not have got Bin Laden yet but they did eventually get the Taliban.

The residents of the small Welsh villiage of Tal-y-Ban breathed a huge sigh of relief... :E

Grandpa
1st Apr 2005, 20:44
.....I'm somewhat confused .....

Just learned some threads away that Dutch police is able to stop a driver supposed not to have paid his parking fee....................then for CIA, FBI and a lot of other 3 letters organisations it seems impossible to find a mad gangster who destroyed WTC, an aisle of Pentagone, a handfull of aircrafts while damaging Navy ships and blowing up a few embassies (sorry if I forgot anything!).

In a matter of seconds Dutch police would have found him, just give them his car number!

aged
1st Apr 2005, 21:30

To: All Al Queda Fighters

Subject: The Cave

Internal Memo. Do Not Distribute Outside The Organisation.

Hi guys. We've all been putting in long hours recently but we've
really come together as a group and I love that! However, while we are
fighting a jihad, we can't forget to take care of the cave, and frankly I have a
few concerns:

First of all, while it's good to be concerned about cruise missiles,
we should be even more concerned about the dust in our cave.
We want to avoid excessive dust inhalation, (a health and safety issue) -
so we need to sweep the cave daily.
I've done my bit on the cleaning rota have you?
I've posted a sign-up sheet near the cave reception area (next to the halal toaster).

Second, it's not often I make a video address but when I do, I'm
trying to scare the sh*t out of most of the world's population, okay?
That means that while we're taping, please do not ride your scooter in the background or keep doing the 'Wassup' thing. Thanks.

Third: Food.
I bought a box of Dairylea recently, clearly wrote "Ossy" on the front,
and put it on the top shelf. Today, two of my Dairylea slices were gone. Consideration. That's all I'm saying.

Fourth: I'm not against team spirit and all that, but we must distance
ourselves from the Infidel's bat and ball games. Please do not chant
"Ossy, Ossy, Ossy, Oy, Oy, Oy" when I ride past on the donkey. Thanks.

Five: Graffiti. Whoever wrote "OSAMA F**kS DONKEYS" on the group
toilet wall. It's a lie, the donkey backed into me, whilst I was relieving
myself at the edge of the mountain.

Six: The use of chickens is strictly for food. Assam, the old excuse
that the 'chicken backed into me, whilst I was relieving myself at the edge
of the mountain' will not be accepted in future.
(With donkeys, there is a grey area.)

Finally, we've heard that there may be Western soldiers in disguise
trying to infiltrate our ranks.
I want to set up patrols to look for them.
First patrol will be Omar, Muhammad, Abdul, Akbar and Dave.

Love you lots,

Group Hug.

Os.

PS - I'm sick of having "Osama's Bed Linen" scribbled on my laundry bag.
Cut it out, it's not funny any more.

Ontariotech
1st Apr 2005, 23:27
Reply: Smith, Dave

To: Bin Laden

Subject: Re: The Cave

Ozzy,

Just to clarify the patrol thingy, are we to go in pairs or by ourselves? I went out with Omar last night, and he has not returned? Could I be paired up with Akbar tonight?

Thanks,

Dave.

WhatsaLizad?
2nd Apr 2005, 00:47
Should have known before viewing that the "usual suspects" would be present:rolleyes:

However, the memos are pretty good :ok:

Lon More
2nd Apr 2005, 00:55
Grandpa it's not the same Dutch police I know then - they couldn't find their @rse using both hands, a torch and a road map

Pilgrim101
2nd Apr 2005, 06:52
Let's see Grandpa, there are over ten million 3 metre deep holes in the ground in Afghhanistan, any one of which could have a cowering bin Laden, or Abu Gaith, or Mullah Omar, or any number of their inadequate sociopaths hiding in it.

That is precisely where they are thanks to the fact that the fear of God is on their shoulders now. Like Saddam, they have fewer and fewer rat holes to soil their "Huthahs" in and it is down to very brave, special men and women doing things you apparently disapprove of which keeps these murdering primitives from committing atrocities on their previously planned grand scale.

You should know the culture of Afghanistan/Peshawar/Waziristan etc etc over the centuries has not exactly been conducive to civilised behaviour and the gun / bandit culture there was heaven sent for bin Laden. Why do you think they chose that God forsaken country ?

The going rate for a suicide bomber in Iraq now has dropped from many thousands of dollars (yes, dollars !) to an average of six hundred for the murderer's family. Another example of the restrictions on access to funding since bin Laden's Amex card is now overdrawn, even with his erstwhile supporters in Saudi Arabia.

Your unabated cynicism and schadenfreude at the atrocities inflicted on America by this mass murderer does you no credit.

Grandpa
2nd Apr 2005, 06:55
........had all vanished in Guantanamo, Abu Ghraïb and other outlawed places......

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Apr 2005, 10:58
...And the bleat goes on......!

High Wing Drifter
2nd Apr 2005, 12:36
I am curious as to why the evil ones are always so stereotypically...evil: gaunt looks, beards, a menacing stare, hooks for hands, eye patches, living in caves. Are their shadows a tad longer the those cast by decent people?
Maybe the Americans did get him in the cave when they blew it up
Does anybody remember the Pentagon press briefings that were spewing out gumpf on elaborate cave complexes where the pervayors of satanic acts could hide with large stocks of food (and ammunition) for months. The best the 'special' forces could find were grubby little cracks in the rock stuffed with a few rusty ammo boxes for good measure.

Edited for bad smelling

Pilgrim101
2nd Apr 2005, 12:49
Many of the Mujahideen have to get wasted on drugs which might explain the haunted far off look ! As for the stereotyping, you have a point but I think the hooks are a later fashion accessory / modification.

As for caves, the ones in Kandahar got a two * rating. ;)

Tora Bora got a three * which explains why the billionaire bad boy booked in there.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Apr 2005, 12:57
I thought the Mujahideen were on our side :uhoh: They rebadged themselves as the Northen Alliance...or something like that. Mind you, not the type of people you would have around for tea (Sorry SyllogismCheck); definately of an unsavoury nature.

Pilgrim101
2nd Apr 2005, 13:15
The Mujahideen aren't even on their own side. Their idea of Jihad is quite simply to loot whatever they can from the chaos they create, and to keep the Country in a lawless "Year Zero" state so they can continue to ply their trade unhindered.

Problem is they have to be bribed or bought off somehow, or simply eliminated before any progress can be achieved in Afghanistan in particular.

Chechnya is another "beneficiary" of the export of "Arab" mediaeval holy warriors who are there for the fun and licenced slaughter best suited to their psychotic tendencies.

As for the zealots like Abu Gaith and Mulla Omar, I have to acknowledge that they are driven, possessed by a religious fervour which makes Ian Paisley look like an atheist. :\

High Wing Drifter
2nd Apr 2005, 13:35
All,

You may find this very interesting. It was a three part BBC documentary aired a few months ago.

I'm not disagreeing with anybody here, but the overall history of the problem is quite fascinating. One of the many interesing things that this politcal history illuminated is how similar US neo conservatism and fundementalist really are (not necessarily in conclusion but in intent). Better the devil you know?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1037.htm

Official site is here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm

BillHicksRules
4th Apr 2005, 14:34
Dear all,

OBL is now more a political weapon than a real person in the eyes of the Bush Administration.

While he is still at large the War on Terror is still being "fought".

However, should he be caught many people would begin to feel safe again and the political will of the masses for the "War" would begin to wane.

We are now officially living in George Orwells vision of society as set out in 1984.

Cheers

BHR

Capt.KAOS
4th Apr 2005, 15:34
It's getting serious now: there's news that 5,000 Brits Leave Iraq to Hunt for bin Laden in Afghanistan.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/osama_running.gif

ORAC
4th Apr 2005, 15:46
Bin Laden smokes, drinks alcohol and wears mini skirts. (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/30/content_429377.htm) :E

tall and tasty
4th Apr 2005, 16:12
I still think they have not looked in the most obvious place

The Whitehouse itself.

If you want to hide from the world, work in the one place no one would think of looking :p

TnT

Pilgrim101
4th Apr 2005, 16:38
BHR

Well, you have a point in terms of psyops and "justification" but do you really believe the Al Qaeda / International terror threat(s) are an illusion or a Bush fabrication or even a manifestation of recent Bush / White House policy ?

The capture/elimination of Bin Laden himself would be a coup since the dismay in the Arab world at the ignominious capture of their other "hero", Saddam Hussein cooled their ardour somewhat and OBL represents an evil which quite simply has to be defeated by the civilised world. Might as well start there and I think the Americans will continue over OBL's body with renewed vigour !

The way I see it, we have to buy some time to put in place a lasting Palestine / Israel peace process and start solving some of the political issues in the regions affected most. Al Qaeda have attacked Bali, Kenya, New York, Iraq, Lebanon, Philippines etc etc and many other places on the premise that we are attacking Islam - the venues and chronology of their atrocities betrays that lie..... It's not just the West suffering from these fascists.

Capt.KAOS
4th Apr 2005, 16:51
There will always rise new state enemies to take OBL's place; like al-Zarqawi.

I remember Bremer of Baghdad was almost in tears when he presented Saddams head. Soon after he realised that terror attacks remained the order of the day.

that we are attacking Islam I hope this is a typo, P101. I assume you meant the Islamic fundamentalist terrorists (aka Jihadi).

High Wing Drifter
4th Apr 2005, 17:23
but do you really believe the Al Qaeda / International terror threat(s) are an illusion
Yes, of course it is! However, the illusion could be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just think back to who actually coined the phrase "Al Qaeda".

Ontariotech
4th Apr 2005, 18:12
Well I can see that the illusionist’s, prophecy haunters and the conspiracy theorist's are out in full force.

The self made American war eh? Who coined Al-Qaeda?

Oooooooo, what a coincidence. Let’s go bowling shall we.

Get stuffed. People who want to live in a make believe world of fantasy can go to New Mexico, stick some tinfoil on your head and bark at the moon, and communicate with UFO's

I do not think this war is made up, make believe American made or what have you. Too much Mike Moore and not enough terrorist are being killed as far as I am concerned. We need to cut out this cancer wherever it is, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, UK, Backyard USA, does not matter.

The Hunt for Osama and his merry men will never stop until it is confirmed he is dead or captured, and his friends are dead or captured, and there friends are dead or captured and so on and so on. I for one would rather live under an umbrella of protection from Chemical weapons, hijacked aircraft, dirty bombs, train bombs or whatever, than sit back in my French made hammock sipping French wine and eating crepes.

Thank-you very much Grandpa for your intellectual insight.

Paterbrat
4th Apr 2005, 19:10
Watched with some open jawed disbelief at the reactions of the 'hard' men of the CIA when showed their quarters in Afghanistan. I do not doubt the fitness commitment or professionalism of the CIA and some of their special forces or their undoubted bravery, nor would I sniff at home comforts such as 'Starbucks' in the field as the odd treat, however one or two of the comments and insights offered on that program may I think have unintentionaly painted a slightly more 'soft pastle' colouring on activities carried out there than may have actualy been the case. I do know from personel contacts that there were some pretty gritty hand to hand contacts in both Tora Bora and Anaconda certainly by Brit contributers. I would also venture to hold the opinion that the search is very much on-going and will remain so indefinitely.
Pity a leaf was not taken from the enemies book for example in the AQ elimination or Masood, finding a few deeply committed and deeply effected Masood supporter/s, taking training and equiping them, then releasing them to swim amongst the enemy much as did the film crew who got to Massod did. Let loose carriers of retribution upon OBL in much the same manner as he did, after all look how effective that tactic has been for him. An eye for an eye deserves nothing less in return and simply follows the philosophy his own lips have mouthed and would seem to offer him nothing less than paradise.

High Wing Drifter
4th Apr 2005, 19:50
Ontariotech,

Al Q and Bin Laden are two seperate issues. Al Q is a moniker attached to a disperarte group of people who could arguably be said to subscribe to the same kind of ideal; namely anti-west, anti-democracy and pro islamic. Some of these groups have killed a great many people in cold blood, but I am not intent on believing this is some global anti-west conspiracy, that we are all in mortal danger. Basically, Al Q is a device used to gather support and control opinion.

The west's actions are, in my opinion, the manifestation of Bush's utterly moronic "Bring it on" speech. And do not serve to stabilise the affected regions.

Pilgrim101
4th Apr 2005, 20:31
Kaos

Why do you say "I hope this is a typo, P101" ??

Read carefully please, I said, "on the premise that we are attacking Islam "

Their premise and assertion, not mine ! I live, work, eat and sleep (?) with Moslem friends every day of my working life in the region and even they confess to discomfort at the West "attacking" Islam, or at the least not trying to understand it !

AQ propaganda is very effective when it comes to a question of theological commitment. The peer pressure on pragmatic moslem thinkers is almost intolerable when it comes to denying their faith or joining the Jihad. Its not a question of poverty either, rich bored kids from Kuwait are fighting in Afghanistan, Chechnya and Iraq because they have bought the crap being peddled by the fundamentalists and AQ. Not one of these Gulf States has ever been threatened by Israel and to listen to them you would think the Jews evil incarnate on the earth. Funny that the biggest threat they ever faced was from Saddam Hussein and the Iranians who continue to dabble insanely in the Arab world.

Caslance
4th Apr 2005, 20:57
Funny that the biggest threat they ever faced was from Saddam Hussein and the Iranians who continue to dabble insanely in the Arab world And on what do you base that (somewhat startling) conclusion? :confused:

BenThere
4th Apr 2005, 22:14
Khobar, for one, Cas. We don't even have to go into what Hizbollah does. Where have you been?

Caslance
4th Apr 2005, 22:34
Oh, lots and lots of places. :ok:

airship
4th Apr 2005, 22:55
Funny that the biggest threat they ever faced was from Saddam Hussein and the Iranians who continue to dabble insanely in the Arab world.

Well I wish people would make their minds up. First it was Sadaam. The bad guy. That problem removed, now it's Iran. I'm not ignorant. I've watched Miami Vice. Is this some sort of new bad cop / bad cop / good cop routine?

Could ya please try and keep it simple for us other folks. I don't want to lose track of the plot... :O

An after-thought...could you imagine the consequences if the Middle East ever developed an insatiable appetite for maple syrup? The mind boggles at the mere thought. :}

Pilgrim101
5th Apr 2005, 07:35
What's startling about it - just consider the Iranian regime's behaviour to it's own citizenry and the fact that although not Arab, their influence and export of Shia fundamentalist terror through Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Middle East region in general has been pure bloody theatre. They have earned their status as a Pariah state. Any of the Gulf Arab states will readily acknowledge the threat to stability in the region posed by the fascist zealots temporarily in charge in Tehran.

Oh and if you charge them with being manipulated by the wicked USA, just visit Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Doha for example and tell me they representative of "third world" puppet states ! They are well into the 21st century and have their own minds and revenue earning capablities outside oil.

Corruption in Iran is the preserve of the ruling elite there and a substantial % of the population are now failing to toe the previous religious party line despite threats and violence towards them and their families. Recognise the syndrome ?

Saddam removed - long overdue and shame on the UN for corruptly sharing in $65 billion of food aid to keep him in place. No wonder we got exasperated !

Grandpa
5th Apr 2005, 08:04
After Iraq has been freed, democratised and pacified, we now expect full pressure on Iran..............

Fine agenda!

Hu? Sorry!

I don't see Bin Laden anywhere here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhodie
5th Apr 2005, 14:50
The intel on the ground reckons Mr. Sandwich Bin-Liner is alive and well and living in one of Mad Bob Mugabe's small palaces just north of Harare in Zimbabwe - the one built by the chinese and visited frequently by Mr. M Gadaffi....

I kid you not... :suspect:

R

Capt.KAOS
5th Apr 2005, 15:11
P101, I stand corrected, clearly misread your quote.

My opinion bin-Laden's main goal is Saudi Arabia and not so much the western world. And not only bored kids from the ME have been appealed by al-Qaeda's ideas, but many from the western world also. We have seen anti-establishment action groups ever since 60-70's like the RAF or groups in Italy, when prosperity is getting boring to young kids.

Grandpa
5th Apr 2005, 20:38
.....and now poverty is also a bad counsellor.

Paterbrat
6th Apr 2005, 18:26
Ahhhhh yes so just abolish poverty eh. If only it were that easy. Reality mon vieux, reality.

airship
6th Apr 2005, 18:47
Perhaps if the US military budget was more about keeping the peace...certain types of poverty could be more easily treated in a peaceful manner in the future. Here ya go, Osama: $2 billion over 20 years...let's keep it quiet though and let's do "keep it all over there"; 17 year old Intifada veteran: how about a scholarship thru to an MBA, say $20,000 a year, and a green card if nothing works out at home...; Kurd orphan: sorry, we can't supply you any chemical weapons, but how about some WWI gas masks we have on special offer? :}

Flyboy1980
6th Apr 2005, 19:12
I've been bad, and not kept up with current affairs. Just out of curiosity what happened to saddam? The last I saw on him they had found him in a hole, and he had been taken into custody. Just wondered if anyone knew what's happening with him now?

Fly

Grandpa
6th Apr 2005, 20:58
He has been seen arriving in Roma, same time as George, they had to wait and chat together because it was so crowded.

Paterbrat
7th Apr 2005, 18:12
Didn't recognise him after he trimmed the face fuzz.