PDA

View Full Version : Cathay

North of Somewhere
31st Mar 2005, 21:42
After having been caught up in the Canadian aviation debacle of late, I have been thinking of applying to Cathay. A few years back there was some discussion of the change in management tactics as it regards to the pilots. How are things there now, especially on the B scale, and is this still as good of a company as they once were from an employee standpoint.

r304ndy
1st Apr 2005, 16:37
You won't be any worse off compared to other airlines, let's put it this way. The productivity of CX pilots is generally low compared to those working for other airlines (European and US). Taking into account also the expatriate-scale salary, housing and other allowances, you can't expect more.

corporal klinger
1st Apr 2005, 17:07
are you sure about cx pilots being low regarding productivity?

they fly about the same as europeans regarding hours, plus they cost less tax/social contribution than their colleagues, and the wages are in hk-dollar(which lost about 35% to the euro in the last years)

also you have to take into account that cx only has wide bodies,which need more experienced pilots in general,so you would have to compare the costs with high seniority guys in european carriers.

16 blades
2nd Apr 2005, 02:12
As an aside, is there a different scale for new joiners on the Freighter fleet? How does it compare? How long is time to command nowadays if you join freighters as DE FO? (assuming 2-3000hrs experience on Mil AT).

16B

spleener
3rd Apr 2005, 11:52
16B,
There are various pay scales depending on rank, base and DOJ. Yes the freighter scales are less than pax. Your mil flying would put you in the window...
Tip: avoid making quick assumptions like a previous post: "Trim sheet, fuel gauges, calculator, speed tables - 2 of you do it for cross-check - Job done. Time taken - 30 seconds. Total cost - NIL.

Has never failed me in 12 yrs of flying. NEVER trust a computer." !!!

Although I do agree with your computer mistrust and your intentions, maybe you need some more exposure to the real [other??] world. C'mon over!!!

;) ;) ;)
sorry chaps - abit off the thread